Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:55 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times

Advertisements

Houston Pavilions could be headed for sale - Houston Chronicle

Looks like people really don't support mixed used developments, even though people always say they want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
They should have built the residential portion with the Pavillions.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Houston Pavilions could be headed for sale - Houston Chronicle

Looks like people really don't support mixed used developments, even though people always say they want them.
The problem with Houston Pavillions is that it was not welcoming. It wasn't inviting. The whole design theme of the place was off. If you drove by downtown, you wouldn't notice anything special about it. Houston, go to Chicago and take notes on making your city core a haven for retail.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
The problem with Houston Pavillions is that it was not welcoming. It wasn't inviting. The whole design theme of the place was off. If you drove by downtown, you wouldn't notice anything special about it. Houston, go to Chicago and take notes on making your city core a haven for retail.
Hard to blame the city on this. This all goes back to the developer. He built this. There was a condo and a hotel that was suppose to be built with this and both plans was scrapped.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Hard to blame the city on this. This all goes back to the developer. He built this. There was a condo and a hotel that was suppose to be built with this and both plans was scrapped.
When I say "Houston", I mean citizens and those who have a stake here. The developers should have people on their teams qualified to plan sites like these. Why have degrees if you don't use them? Along with a little common sense. I mean, you spend millions upon millions of dollars for it to fail? Come on! It's not like Houstonians don't like to shop.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
When I say "Houston", I mean citizens and those who have a stake here. The developers should have people on their teams qualified to plan sites like these. Why have degrees if you don't use them? Along with a little common sense. I mean, you spend millions upon millions of dollars for it to fail? Come on! It's not like Houstonians don't like to shop.
Exactly. The initial plan was brilliant; than they started cutting off significant parts which were what really made this development pop. People aren't going to flock downtown for XII and a few other places. However, House of Blues and I think Lucky Strike are doing good.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Exactly. The initial plan was brilliant; than they started cutting off significant parts which were what really made this development pop. People aren't going to flock downtown for XII and a few other places. However, House of Blues and I think Lucky Strike are doing good.
Exactly. No focus groups? No research into the local marketplace was done? No research on what they typical Houston shopper looks for or enjoys? Do research on pint up demand for a service? I personally walked right by the HP, and never ONCE had the urge to go look inside and browse and explore the place. That says a lot. Because, we always look for new places to explore and hang out at in Houston. Epic fail.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Ok yeah I agree there.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
They had a bookstore as their anchor, I believe and it wasn't even Borders or Barnes and Noble. Besides, we all know what's going on with bookstores anyway.They weren't working even in the most urban places in America.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Quote:
I don't want it to be like "Chicago's" Needs to be Houston's - whatever that may be. No city should look at another city's and try to replicate any feature of it. Cities should all be unique in design and not similar. I liked the design but there aren't enough tenants and no special events going on in the plaza of it.

The basic problem is that Houston's downtown is a working man's/woman's downtown. Everything rolls up after 6 p.m. except in pockets - Houston Pavilions, Theatre District, Discovery Green. I'm not sure the design is the problem as much as it is the lack of people in recreational hours. There aren't enough people living downtown to support a lot of evening/weekends business and retail and most retailers can't make it on having primarily a 10-2 business. The bookstore is Books-A-Million and actually it isn't bad. Sad to see HP go into foreclosure - had a lot of potential if it had the residential development nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston