Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Then you don't really understand Houstonians. They are fickle and hot spots have an expiration date (too quickly and as soon as the next hot spot opens). There is no loyalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
But that's the thing. These stores are what will draw attention to HP. From there; more retail will flow in.
jluke, you need to share your ideas with the council.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Then you don't really understand Houstonians.
No, I think you under estimate people. Discovery Green has been a success. A "small" park in downtown that gets plenty of vistors from around town. Hermann park always has families visiting on the weekends, including the zoo. The museums are always full. Theater...packed. I'm sure not all live in the neighborhood. People drive to Kemah from around the metro area for entertainment. Don't tell me people living in Houston are stuck in a 5 mile radius of their homes. You have to be kidding. No one is saying all 6 million would invade downtown every week. You have a dense population inside the loop and inside the 8 loop that can easily get to dowtown in 15-20 minutes or less. If someone from the Woodlands comes down one or twice a year, good.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Then you don't really understand Houstonians. They are fickle and hot spots have an expiration date (too quickly and as soon as the next hot spot opens). There is no loyalty.
That being said also, then the Galleria would be a ghost town.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Maybe before the next iceage will Houston get a winning idea to bring everyone together!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Maybe before the next iceage will Houston get a winning idea to bring everyone together!
Lol

Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think it will be fine as well. But BookerEast is right in a sense. They can't survive by themselves. Downtown parks, stores, shops need more....RESIDENTS. Oh and travelers wouldn't hurt either. I'm shocked that developers aren't looking more at Downtown. While I love the new midrise apartments going up around the inner loop and galleria. Why haven't we seen any new developments for residential units outside of OPP in Downtown? They have no problem going to Uptown. Do they not believe that residential units in Downtown can't work? Because that would amaze me considering OPP is a success. Now that area also has a grocery store.
There are a couple of smaller residential projects in the works in East Downtown. HP will be fine. You have the light rail lines, Dynamo Stadium, new convention center hotel next to Discovery Green, etc. People will be going Downtown. Developers there need to attract a retailer like H&M. The city needs to change whatever ordinance it is, and let HP have TV screens on the side of them. And open up the retail to the streets. It's dumb how you have to walk "inside" like a mall. It's suppose to be Downtown.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
There are a couple of smaller residential projects in the works in East Downtown. HP will be fine. You have the light rail lines, Dynamo Stadium, new convention center hotel next to Discovery Green, etc. People will be going Downtown. Developers there need to attract a retailer like H&M. The city needs to change whatever ordinance it is, and let HP have TV screens on the side of them. And open up the retail to the streets. It's dumb how you have to walk "inside" like a mall. It's suppose to be Downtown.
Are you talking about the eastside of 59 by the stadium or the westside by the convention center and that awful embassy suites? I'd like to see a couple renderings of them.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
This. It's more about the city limiting developments like HP's potential moreso than the people of houston being disinterested.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Are you talking about the eastside of 59 by the stadium or the westside by the convention center and that awful embassy suites? I'd like to see a couple renderings of them.
I'm talking about the new one that is suppose to be built on the other side of Discovery Green (directly across from the Hilton). The Chronicle just had an article about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston