Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

At least you recognized that you wouldn't be happy here. Although I have a friend from Australia who is leaving to go back and said that when they first were offered a job here, they were so wary because from the plane and business travels all he ever saw was industry next to homes next to industry next to homes. They made the move and are now sad to be leaving and said that living here has been the best time of their lives. So sometimes I guess looks are deceiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
On the flip I had a job offer out of a company in Stamford CT about 7 years back... the place and it's burbs looked like Hell to me. <shrug> After a trip to what they considered an exclusive suburb, I decided that there was no way I was going to waste money on "that." Of course, I like city suburban neighborhoods over true burbs, of which there are none.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-15-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM

23,975 posts, read 15,082,290 times
I agree with the op. We moved away for some time. When we returned in 1974, I ask the builder why he spent so much on frivolous stuff and no double paned windows? He thought I was crazy.

I have watched the million dollar custom homes on Cypresswood in Champion Forest under construction. All that money and square footage with Home Depot crap windows.

Everyone who visits from someplace else is curious about the small lots. No one can understand these barns on tiny lots. They don't get that nobody ever goes outside.

Good luck. You need to kiss some frogs to recognize a prince.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Since you're picky about homes, no problem with that, have you considered building? Or is it not worth it?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
No offense, but a quick trip to google maps streetview could have saved you the trip. Small lots and flatness could easily be seen from there.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 PM

254 posts, read 522,118 times
I would imagine if I lived there most of my life I would find it shocking to come up here as well.

I really expected it to be like Charlotte or Atlanta, Cinco came the closest, but still wasn't the same.

Stamford has some unreal areas around it, but it cost a million plus to live in them.

Problem with the North-East is we do not have neighborhoods or communities for the most part, at least not like the south. Technically I guess I actually live in one, but there are only 40 homes or so, all of them have an acre plus, none back up to each other, and it is a golf course. For $600k I got Hole # 8 across the street and # 14 behind my backyard. I have mountain views. Tons of wildlife like Deer, Turkeys, Hawks, Fox, even saw a Bear.

Different tastes for different folks

Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM

254 posts, read 522,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
No offense, but a quick trip to google maps streetview could have saved you the trip. Small lots and flatness could easily be seen from there.
No offense taken, I agree and I did look. I guess all the wonderful pictures on places like Bridgeland had me double guessing.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I spent the weekend driving around the suburbs of Houston, I had an opportunity that professionally I had a lot of interest in, but had to make sure it was a good fit personally so I went to visit.

If you read my other post you know I have 3 kids, twin 6 year olds and a 2 year old. I currently live in Western Massachusets on a Golf Course with over an acre of land.

Here are my thoughts of Houston-

The Bad (No offense to those that live there, I am hoping I help others)
- Power lines are everywhere, I just could not get over it.
- Billboard after billboard, they should have restrictions on these.
- Flat as can be and outside of communities there is little to see beside Industry and Stores
- I thought the Communities would be similar to Atlanta and Charlotte, my 2 cents is they are not even close to as nice
- So much land everywhere and they choose to give such small lots, I just do not get it. This was a huge negative for me, you have absolutely no privacy. Today I have just over an acre and no neighbor in front or behind me.
- Homes are not built to the standards I expected, I was looking at $600k homes and they had 4 inch faucets in the bathrooms, cheap windows, many had cheap door hardware, and the HUGE surprise was NONE had nice kitchen or bathrooms. They looked nice, but when you pull a drawer or 2 out they have those CHEAP metal drawer glides and they are made of cheap materials, something I would not even put in a garage.

The Good
- Everyone was nice as can be
- Katy to me was the nicest area I found. I thought I would like Cypress, but I did not like it at all.

I am so glad I went down for the weekend, it absolutely gave me a new appreciation for what I currently have.

Thank you all again for your advice
REALLY?! People on here say Houston has neighborhoods that look like Atlanta; Atlanta has NICE neighborhoods...I MEAN NNNIIICCCEEE!!! However, your experience makes me want to visit more and see if I would like it because I don't want to get there and it looks like "another country" (I've heard this very description about Houston).

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
It's definitely a shock coming here from the NE.
Houston is U G L Y in comparison. That right there will put you off.
Just curious if the OP checked out The Woodlands. All the trees give it a more NE feel.
Definitely different than katy or cypress.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
No offense taken, I agree and I did look. I guess all the wonderful pictures on places like Bridgeland had me double guessing.
Bridgelands?? LOL. Zombieland......no way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston