Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'd say the entire state of Alabama is more aestheically pleasing than almost anything in the Houston area. Kingwood, The Woodlands and Conroe might come close. The beaches in AL are on par with Destin FL. Galveston doesn't come close.
So if I move to Houston, I guess I will have to downgrade beauty and just deal with it. You know Alabama's nickname is The Beautiful, and dammit, it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'd say the entire state of Alabama is more aestheically pleasing than almost anything in the Houston area. Kingwood, The Woodlands and Conroe might come close. The beaches in AL are on par with Destin FL. Galveston doesn't come close.
No joke. The farther North and East you go in that area, the prettier it gets....

Old 01-15-2012, 06:28 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Prettier than Western Arkansas?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM

254 posts, read 521,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
REALLY?! People on here say Houston has neighborhoods that look like Atlanta; Atlanta has NICE neighborhoods...I MEAN NNNIIICCCEEE!!! However, your experience makes me want to visit more and see if I would like it because I don't want to get there and it looks like "another country" (I've heard this very description about Houston).
I agree I may end up in Atlanta eventually. The Communities that I saw were not even close to as nice, Atlanta's were much nicer for my taste.

One thing I can promise you is they are not the same, I go to Atlanta several times a year so I know it well.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
It's definitely a shock coming here from the NE.
Houston is U G L Y in comparison. That right there will put you off.
Just curious if the OP checked out The Woodlands. All the trees give it a more NE feel.
Definitely different than katy or cypress.
I did not, probably should have. After checking Summerwood area, then a bunch in Cypress followed by Katy I ended it.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I agree I may end up in Atlanta eventually. The Communities that I saw were not even close to as nice, Atlanta's were much nicer for my taste.

One thing I can promise you is they are not the same, I go to Atlanta several times a year so I know it well.
Burbs of Atlanta are super cheap now. The economy has really done a job on the areas around Alpharetta. Big old barns, on the cheap...just like Houston but with terrain. The only thing tempting outside of metro Altanta is the Big Canoe area...but then it's failing so badly, it would be hard to invest.

Ps- You didn't miss anything in The Woodlands.....

Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
No joke. The farther North and East you go in that area, the prettier it gets....
YEA! I'm not trying to brag but...

North Alabama

My School in North Alabama

Central Alabama

The Beaches

Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Really?I was looking higher than that and it was trash housing blocks away from the water. Majorly cheap construction with "stained" low grade wood all over the place.Cabinets look home-honed. The paint it was going to take to mellow the place out was 30k plus. And not having gas appliances, was something which I found really weird.You had to go over 2 mill to find a Viking anything.
Blocks away from the water doubles or triples the price. You are right, many homes are not updated in that area. Did you check out New Canaan? I would be shocked if anyone didnt find it nice. My parents lived in a nice neighborhood in Norwalk, but it had its share of bad areas as well. To me the suburbs of NY are either way to expensive or dumps, not much in between.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I'm curious as to which communities the OP checked out.

Why do people move to other places expecting it to be like where they came from? Geographically speaking - the entire nation is different. Why would you expect it to be the same? Just 4 hours from here looks totally different (the hill country).
I looked at Summerwood, Bridgeland, Lakes of Fairhaven, Cinco Ranch, Firethorne, Cross Creek, and a few others that I passed on the way to the others, I do not recall the names of them all.

I did not expect it to look anything like where I live, I thought it would look like some of the Charlotte or Atlanta communities that I actually like a lot.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM

23,969 posts, read 15,069,127 times
There is a charm to loving one's town, state or country. Kinda like "the church is a wh000, but she's my mother". I'm not suggesting we emulate other towns, but there is a lesson here and from similar postings.

We should start requiring underground utilities. It's done all over the place. Time was, when the cost in Houston was the same. Now, buried is more up front. Storms knocking down utilities lines and tree trimming probably even out the cost. These lines are ugly. Before you say I'm ignorant of the process, my FIL was a utility contractor who buried thousands of miles cable for all kinds of folks.

So are the endless miles of billboards. Why should we all have to put up with this gross and ugly visual assault because some company finds them useful? I always thought they were awful, but never realized how my soul was affected until we moved to the Bellaire area and there were none. Suddenly, I did not dread having to get into the car. Since that time, I try to never do business with firms who use billboards or signs to get attention.

If strangers evaluate Houston on the trip to town from the airport, need I say more?

The only one I go to is the Container Store. Just can't boycott them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston