Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 PM

702 posts, read 1,237,010 times

Advertisements

He traded a conditional first round for Terrence Williams....that's a head scratcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Should the Rockets be embarrassed they cut NBA sensation Jeremy Lin? | King Solomon's Mind | a Chron.com blog

Whole world taken with Knicks' star Jeremy Lin

This guy was in camp with the Rockets and they cut him. I'm starting to think that Daryl Morey is not the "genius" General Manager people make him out to be.
Solomon had to open his ignorant mouth again.
Hey Solomon, did you think about the possibility that when Jeremy Lin was trying out for the Rockets.... maybe he didn't seem like a good bet (maybe he was sick, had a hang over, or anything else).

No,
but it's always easier to "talk s..." than to use your brain.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
That's still not a excuse for not seeing this guys talent. They should have cut Goran Gragic.
The Rockets and the rest of the league missed it as Lin went undrafted, spent time in the dleague, spent time playing limited minutes at Golden State, was waived, was picked up as 3rd/4th string PG by the Rockets, waived by Rockets, picked up by NY Knicks, almost waived by Knicks, and finally got an opportunity to start when their pgs were injured/incompetent. So yea....

Not to mention the Rocket's are actually set at the PG position and if by chance Jonny Flynn was traded (which Morey trade to do before the season started) he would have still been 3rd string. The situation was not ideal for Lin to flourish as a Rocket. On the other hand, the Knicks were desperate for a PG or any player to step and right the ship, and Lin rose to the occasion as he was able to play how he wanted.

Lastly, don't you think we need to at least finish the season before we start putting him on pedestal?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The Rockets and the rest of the league missed it as Lin went undrafted, spent time in the dleague, spent time playing limited minutes at Golden State, was waived, was picked up as 3rd/4th string PG by the Rockets, waived by Rockets, picked up by NY Knicks, almost waived by Knicks, and finally got an opportunity to start when their pgs were injured/incompetent. So yea....

Not to mention the Rocket's are actually set at the PG position and if by chance Jonny Flynn was traded (which Morey trade to do before the season started) he would have still been 3rd string. The situation was not ideal for Lin to flourish as a Rocket. On the other hand, the Knicks were desperate for a PG or any player to step and right the ship, and Lin rose to the occasion as he was able to play how he wanted.

Lastly, don't you think we need to at least finish the season before we start putting him on pedestal?
True but he's off to a great start. He's scored more points in his first five starts than anybody in history of the NBA. He's better than anybody on the Rockets current team. Thats just a fact. I think the reason a lot of people doubted him is because he's asian. But like I said, hes doesn't have to worry about that now. If the Knicks do cut him(never going to happen). Teams will be lined up to sign him. Not only for his basketball talents, but for the asian market he will now bring. Stations in China are already starting to broadcast his games.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
Quote:
True but he's off to a great start. He's scored more points in his first five starts than anybody in history of the NBA.
His record is actually over 4 games started, not 5 (he came off the bench in the first game where he played well).

Only in the social media era do silly question like this come up and do we declare players as the second coming after only 4 starts.

Did the Rockets screw up? Did 30 teams screw up just one year ago when they took a pass on drafting him? Did the Golden State Warriors screw up when they rarely played him last season and did not bring him back? Did the Knicks screw up considering they have had him all season long yet only played him a grand total of 48 minutes prior to Billups going down? If the Rockets did screw up, then they would be in very good company.

As it happens, they did not screw up. You are taking them to task without considering the situation. This was an extremely abbreviated pre-season with very little time to assess players. The Rockets were fairly loaded at guard. It was clear who was going to make the roster before pre-season even started. Keeping an unknown player who had not shown enough over a short period of time to lead one to believe he was worth keeping around (again note that the Knicks had him over a much longer period and never played him) over someone like a Goran Dragic would have been a major risk and most of us would have been howling over such a stupid decision. Moreover, as was the case with the Knicks, Lin would never have played behind the guards we did have. I'd add that Dragic has been fantastic off the bench this season. I'd also add that the Rockets run a very different offense from the Knicks, one that Lin is not particularly well suited to.

That brings me to the social media and overreaction to performances like this. People have such short attention spans that media outlets are forced to gush over events like this to draw peoples attention. It is like the Eli Manning thing where over the span he went from being declared a mediocre quarterback to being one of the best ever. Tim Tebow was a genius or the worst QB ever from week-to-week.

Here we have a guy who has had 3 good starts (his 4th was mediocre, something people are ignoring). Teams have never seen him before and aren't prepared to defend him. Moreover, he has played against teams that are notoriously weak in defending against point guards. Derek Fisher couldn't guard me, let alone a quick point guard. The Knicks run a spread offense built around picks and rolls. That suits a player like Lin, however as he starts to play strong defensive teams and teams start to key in on him, then let's see how he does.

Lastly, somebody on here declared that the Rockets were boring. I suspect that person has not actually been watching any games. The Rockets are amongst the league leaders in offensive catagories. They are amongst the worst in defense (although getting better). This makes for a lot of high scoring and see-saw games. I have a lot of friends overseas who like basketball and who have made the Rockets must watch this season as they view them as one of the most exciting teams in the league.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
His record is actually over 4 games started, not 5 (he came off the bench in the first game where he played well).

Only in the social media era do silly question like this come up and do we declare players as the second coming after only 4 starts.

Besides CD, I don't use "social media"

Did the Rockets screw up? Did 30 teams screw up just one year ago when they took a pass on drafting him? Did the Golden State Warriors screw up when they rarely played him last season and did not bring him back? Did the Knicks screw up considering they have had him all season long yet only played him a grand total of 48 minutes prior to Billups going down? If the Rockets did screw up, then they would be in very good company. Yes the Rockets screwed up big time. Which is why they are a stuck in mediocrity. Yes the rest of the league blew it too. It happens in sports, doesn't mean they're not wrong. Tom Brady wasn't picked until the sixth round.
As it happens, they did not screw up. You are taking them to task without considering the situation. This was an extremely abbreviated pre-season with very little time to assess players. Excuse, excuse, excuse. spoken like a true mindless rockets fan. The Rockets were fairly loaded at guard. Not one all star in the bunch, which is what you need to win in this league. It was clear who was going to make the roster before pre-season even started. Keeping an unknown player who had not shown enough over a short period of time to lead one to believe he was worth keeping around It called taking a risk. Good teams do this(again note that the Knicks had him over a much longer period and never played him) over someone like a Goran Dragic would have been a major risk and most of us would have been howling over such a stupid decision. Moreover, as was the case with the Knicks, Lin would never have played behind the guards we did have. I'd add that Dragic has been fantastic off the bench this season. I'd also add that the Rockets run a very different offense from the Knicks, one that Lin is not particularly well suited to.

That brings me to the social media and overreaction to performances like this. People have such short attention spans that media outlets are forced to gush over events like this to draw peoples attention. It is like the Eli Manning thing where over the span he went from being declared a mediocre quarterback Who says that? The guy has two rings. to being one of the best ever. Tim Tebow was a genius or the worst QB ever from week-to-week. Tim Tebow sucks period, end stroy.

Here we have a guy who has had 3 good starts (his 4th was mediocre, something people are ignoring). Teams have never seen him before and aren't prepared to defend him. Moreover, he has played against teams that are notoriously weak in defending against point guards. Derek Fisher couldn't guard me, let alone a quick point guard. The Knicks run a spread offense built around picks and rolls. That suits a player like Lin, however as he starts to play strong defensive teams and teams start to key in on him, then let's see how he does. Ah Magic Johnson tend to thinks this guy is the real deal. I'll take his word of somebody who's probably never even played the game before.

Lastly, somebody on here declared that the Rockets were boring. I suspect that person has not actually been watching any games. The rockets are boring. Which is why no free agents want to come here. They haven't been exciting since T-Mac and Yao were here. The Rockets are amongst the league leaders in offensive catagories. They are amongst the worst in defense (although getting better). This makes for a lot of high scoring and see-saw games. I have a lot of friends overseas who like basketball and who have made the Rockets must watch this season as they view them as one of the most exciting teams in the league. LOL sorry your friends don't know good basketball.
Ok let me break this garbage down piece by piece.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
14brick's responses in red. Ok let me break this garbage down piece by piece.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
Quote:
Ok let me break this garbage down piece by piece.
Just about what I figured. Spoken like the typical ignorant sports fan who reacts on emotion and understands very little about the sports of which they speak.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
What's ignorant is overreacting about other teams not taking a guy that now is a star (after just a few games).

It's all about the media overhyping things to have a story and 6 months later they are going to overhype his decline to have another story.
It's easier than reporting facts = He's good, we'll see if he can keep it up during the whole season.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
We are also in one of two sports dead zones in a year (the second being summer time after the NBA Finals). If Lin was happening during Tebow Time, there would be no Linsanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston