Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 17,291 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I'm from Pakistan, 19 years old, and coming to the US in the next few months with my mother and younger brother.
I had a few questions that I'm sure you guys can help us with and make our decision a little easier. I'm posting this here because a) we're going to initially be in Houston. b) I had no idea where else to post this

1. How difficult is it to make a living there? My mother has a post graduate degree in science. She has loads of teaching experience in Pakistan. How hard is it going to be for her to get a job there? How hard will it be for her to make enough money for us to live by. I'd be more than willing to help out but I'll only get some not very well paying employment probably. So the question in a way is, is it right for us to be making this transition at this time, with my brohter in high school and me studying for my undergraduate degree?

2. I'm a college student here in a not so well-rated engineering institute. I have decent college grades and very good high school grades as well. If I were to move to the US, the college fee will not be affordable unless I get a grant or a loan. Would you recommend me to continue my studies here till I have a B.S from a below average institute, or should I try myself there, and try to somehow get by while I get my undergrad education with the hope of a better future in the coming years?

3. To any recent immigrants, how hard have you found the transition between your country and the US? How long did it take for you to settle in there?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,628 times
I've been teaching since '02 and times are hard here now. Meaning teaching jobs are not that easy to get by. I migrated here from the philippines and it's never an easy thing. You just have to go through the transition though. No way around it. I would say it took 5 years to get settled and know my way around. You might want to finish college there in your so so college. When you get here, no one really cares. As long as it's an accredited college in your country, you should be fine. I had so so grades at a very good university in my country. My not so good grades are frowned upon, they don't know how good my school's reputation was in my homeland.

Sorry. No time to type an essay. But hope that helps.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM

101 posts, read 370,994 times
Do you or any or of your family have plans lined up here? What exactly is your immigration plan?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:19 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
Do you have Visas lined up? Without them it will be a no go I'm afraid.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
The short term sacrifice to get an engineering degree from a US university would pay off in the long run. If I have the budget to hire a new engineer am I going to hire the guy with a degree from UT or the guy with a degree from a no name university in Pakistan?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacheskitty View Post
Do you or any or of your family have plans lined up here? What exactly is your immigration plan?
Yes, my mother has been sponsored by her sister. Its the F4 category I think. Me and younger bro are derivative beneficiaries. Our case is complete. We'll probably travel to the US in April

Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
Do you have Visas lined up? Without them it will be a no go I'm afraid.
Yes we do have proper immigrant visas

Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
The short term sacrifice to get an engineering degree from a US university would pay off in the long run. If I have the budget to hire a new engineer am I going to hire the guy with a degree from UT or the guy with a degree from a no name university in Pakistan?
Yes that's more feasible in the long term. But the actual cost of living there with two other people is not going to be manageable unless we can find means of getting by.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Your academic work may not be recognized here as many foreign schools are lacking. Times are not good, and if you find a job it may be a manual labor or service job. Many middle easterners have felt those type jobs are beneath them.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan92 View Post
Yes we do have proper immigrant visas
That's great! Good luck to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston