Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 11,579 times

Advertisements

Hello to all. We are a family of five which includes 3 elementary aged children. We are interested in finding an area that is relaxing after a long day at work and great schools for the children. We are not familiar with the Houston are, but we have been looking at real estaste in several different areas. We are open to all suggestions about locations and realtors.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions,
Our Family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 07:42 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
Houston is massive, and there are nice neighborhoods all over. My advice is that you elaborate on what you need so that people here offer valuable advice rather than just plug where they live, LOL.

What's important?
commute time (to what part of town)
schools (you mentioned elementary school...any special needs?)
size of home, single family or multi-family
old house or new
own, rent
city, suburban, or country lifestyle (what is 'relaxing' to you?)
amenities...day care, shopping, entertainment, etc.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
Start inside the Loop which can be more expensive up front but your savings are elsewhere and getting home from work in 15 minutes may be relaxing to you. The suburbs are the pits; at least, from my experience.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
What price range our you looking for a home in and what size? Are you looking for a Master Planned Community or something more rural? Do you prefer newer areas or older communities? Are your children interest in things like Karate, Soccer, a local YMCA?? Do you golf? Community pool or private pool desired?

~K~

Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
You will pay 2-3x more for a house inside the loop than in the suburbs, and we may be talking about condos/townhouses with no yard vs. homes on lots. Also inside the loop you will have many nice neighborhoods bordering some really bad areas more often than not. In the suburbs you will at least be away from *most* of that. But you will have to deal with a drive.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:56 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
I prefer the suburbs. Houston has some great suburbs.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
If you are planning on working in the central business district - any side of town will be about the same commute (mileage speaking) for you. Traffic is getting to be a bear on 290 and I-10W so those commutes may be a bit rougher than that of other freeways. Though very nice burbs along those routes. That being said - there are nice burbs on every side of town and with good schools as well - just depends on your employment location and needs. You'll find that many of these posts are like a popularity contest for eveyone's own area but all-in-all good burbs to be found. Once you like a particular side of town, might be good to list employment location and interest and then someone who actually lives in the area you are interest in can comment more to the point.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
The Woodlands and Kingwood (North side) both tend to be relaxing to go home to as is the Clear Lake area (South side). All of these areas have good schools and a lot of activities that children can get involved in.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 11,579 times
Thanks for everyones input! It is very much appreciated! I don't have much on job locations right now, I am a full time student and my husband specializes in logistics. However upon our arrival I plan to do some social service work(something that pertains to my degree in psychology/criminal justice). The most important thing for us is raising our children (no special needs) in a good community with great schools. We are a multi-racial family and hope that doesn't play any role or limit our choices to neighborhoods (because I have seen post about The Woodlands). I think we are leaning towards the surburbs. Although I have seen really nice late model houses we would prefer 2000 or better, single family home. Our price range is 175-225. I have seen the Rio Vista community on the web but i'm not sure of the area that it's in, so any advice on that??? My kids are invovled in sports.......soccer, basketball, karate...etc. I love to shop and of course we would need things that pertain to family fun since we don't have family or friends. Childcare maybe something that we would need later on.
Once again thanks for everyone's help. You all give some very helpful info. Please keep it comin'.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:57 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
If you are speaking of Rio Vista on the San Jacinto River, stay away from that one. The place is totally cut off when the river gets high. It is very pretty though. Also, the Channelview schools are not the best. If you would like something in a waterfront area try Summerwood or Clear Lake communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston