Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:54 AM

18 posts, read 18,758 times

Advertisements

As the title states I am looking to move to Houston. Almost 100% sure. The only real doubt is never having been to Houston before (although I am planning to visit).
So here is my background:

I am a 26 y/o male living in northern NJ with my gf. I work as an electrical engineer and make in the upper 60k range, $67k to be exact. My gf is a Licensed massage therapist and makes under $30k including tips. We have been grown up in NJ and want a change and forsee our future pretty tough in NJ. There is no way that we can buy a decent house in a suburban area on our salary and afford property tax (Lowest in Northern NJ is about $8500/year and that's in very non-safe parts of Newark). Again that is a few years in the future, but we are not content with the cost of living in NJ. We have set our sights on Houston because it is a big diverse city, which we like and are used to, but from what I see the cost of living is much lower and the pay seems to be the same for my line of work at least. At the moment we pay $1500 for a 1 Bedroom duplex and the area sucks. No parking, one town over from Newark, police are there weekly. Really we just want a change from the north east and thought based on degree that Houston would be a good fit.
We don't need to live in the super upscale area, we like quiet kind of suburban but able to easily go out for the night for a few drinks and such. I want to be there for Jan. 2016 and would like to get a job prior to moving. I was hoping you guys could help with a few questions.
-What is the best way to find a job from where I am?
-What are good places for 2 20-somethings to live? We don't need super posh, quiet but not too far from fun. Looking for ~600-$1000/ month.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
The problem I see is that your budget doesn't work for the areas I'd recommend for people in the 20's wanted to be not too far from fun.

With a $100k combined salary, I'd really consider raising your rent budget.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 AM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
I don't have advice on finding a job...but you will probably want to have one lined up before you move here.

The commutes here can be hell if you're on the wrong side of town, my husband is 5 miles from work and it takes him 30mins, or if you end up working outside the city it could be even worse. Look at Houston on a map. We have 2 loops, with the outer being much further away. and there is still stuff outside the outer loop. Houston is urban sprawl to the max, so traffic doesn't really decrease as you move further out and its only going to get worse as more people move here.

If commute don't bother you, its a different story, but for those who have never been here its nice to understand what you getting into.

Houston is great city(IMO) though and you will be able to find what you need.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,290,932 times
You may get paid more here but getting an apartment for under $1000 inside the city may be tricky. I would look in the med center near Reliant or possibly a garage apartment near Rice.
We do not have good bus/rail so you will each need a car.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Thanks guys. We will both be driving, but I wanted to point out that I have been looking into Houston and all about being inside the loop. We would like to live close to where work is of course, but I need to get a job first. We really don't need to be too close to downtown, suburban is nice, I just do not want to be in the middle of nowhere. What are the neighborhoods to avoid in Houston?

Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 AM

672 posts, read 847,660 times
Where in Northern NJ are you? I lived in Teaneck (Bergen County) for a few years and my parents currently live there.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:10 PM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
In a year the inner loop is going to look different(if all this gentrifying keeps going). All of these are inner loop.
East Area of Downtown(by the dynamo's stadium and 3rd ward(Riverside Terrence/South Central) are changing quickly, The area around Fulton(the wedge of 45 and 59) is getting the new rail and is starting to have new development, but has a ways to go.
The Heights, Midtown, Rice and the area around Reliant(now NRG) are always hot for young people. Reliant has the light rail to get downtown to the nightlife. And the others already have their own set of things to go.
Washington Heights/Cottage Grove is another area that is changing rapidly as well, TONS of new construction, although I don't feel like it has its own social life yet.

For areas that are iffy I'd say the area east and south around University of Houston and Old Spanish Road/Griggs which is called "Southside"(there is light rail going there as well but it isn't open yet) as are Mangnolia Park and the area around the Denver Harbor. In between 45 and 59 got a new light rail, but I think area has a lot of changing to do still. You will want to avoid 5th Ward, I haven't heard of any changes going on there, except a little bit as part of the East Area of Downtown movement.

Me and my husband are buying this summer but I only know about these ^ inner loop areas. I don't know much about areas outside except a few, and then only neighborhoods to buy in, not rent.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofJerz View Post
Thanks guys. We will both be driving, but I wanted to point out that I have been looking into Houston and all about being inside the loop. We would like to live close to where work is of course, but I need to get a job first. We really don't need to be too close to downtown, suburban is nice, I just do not want to be in the middle of nowhere. What are the neighborhoods to avoid in Houston?
Houston is like a checker board of bad/good areas mixed up all throughout, nobody can say stay east/west/north/south of any particular streen and you will be in the good /bad part becasue there really isn't any. You will just have to find out when you move down here what areas really are rough (not even get out the car areas) and which just look run down.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the input. It really helps having all this info. To answer your question Prey521, I live in Belleville, Essex county, a few blocks from the border with North Newark. I was born and raised in Newark. I used to work in Bergen County (Oakland) .By the way how do you like TX? I think you have a good idea where I am coming from in not liking New Jersey

* Edit I meant to say that we are NOT all about being in the loop. It doesn't really matter too much in or out. This changes things greatly, I know.*

Last edited by OutofJerz; 03-12-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 10,489 times
There were some non expensive apartments around the Buffalo Bayou close to downtown, on the other side of the part from Memorial drive. Google them. I remember that the buildings are not new, but you're right next to the park and in about 20 min walking from downtown, although you'll have to drive to the bars, but bars on Washington, downtown and midtwon will be at 10-15 dollars uber / cab ride (as much as valet at some cases).
Also look at the tram route, the tram is working all night, easy and fast way to get in midtwon or downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston