Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
First of all, the word is "chose," not "CHOOSED." It's amusing to read all the self-righteous bloviating from those who keep screaming about "the rules." Why is it funny? Because it tells me that they haven't actually read "the rules."

If they had, they would know that "the rules," also known as the by laws, clearly give the executive director of the league (TAPPS) the authority to change the date/time of a playoff game at his discretion, if there is a compelling reason to do so. Given the by laws forbid any game to be played on Sunday out of respect for the Christian Sabbath, a team wanting to honor the Jewish Sabbath certainly qualifies as a compelling reason.

Whether out of anti-Semitism or just plain old stubbornness, The director of TAPPS dug in his heels when he had multiple opportunities to do the right thing in full accordance with his own league's "rules." Instead he made an ass out of himself in front of literally the whole world since the controversy went viral.

The kids on this team are handling this with class and grace. Too bad the same can't be said for the TAPPS leadership and the d-bags hollering about the rules.
"anti semitism" wow people really throw that race card around when convenient. How about the Jewish school start their own leauge. Then they can play whenever they want to. You say the Christians schools don't play in Sunday. No sh*t, it's pretty much a all Christian league. Again, you don't like the terms, start you're own leauge. Me personally, if I was the director of tapps, I probably would have made accommodations, but the way some of the Jewish people are acting now has really tuned me against the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
" I probably would have made accommodations, but the way some of the Jewish people are acting now has really tuned me against the school.
Well, it sounded like it was a few pushy parents who did this, not the school? I think they have the right take legal action to change the rules, but I wish it wasn't coming from the parents and I wish it was done after this tournament was over, in preparation for future tournaments. Trying to get a last minute restr order, getting the court to jump in and flex their muscle sent the wrong message to the kids: We sue when we don't like something; and a basketball game is more important than honoring an agreement. (But seriously, this is a silly tournament, not like the NCAA or NBA playoff game or anything. Overstepping parents if you ask me)

To be clear, I do wish TAPPS had been more accomodating to the hour change of the game. However, it was a set of predetermined rules the school knew about when they joined, so that school should be compliant with it. Years from now, none of the kids will remember much about the game they played today. However, if they sat out, I bet most will remember the valuable life lesson they learned.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
"anti semitism" wow people really throw that race card around when convenient. How about the Jewish school start their own leauge. Then they can play whenever they want to. You say the Christians schools don't play in Sunday. No sh*t, it's pretty much a all Christian league. Again, you don't like the terms, start you're own leauge. Me personally, if I was the director of tapps, I probably would have made accommodations, but the way some of the Jewish people are acting now has really tuned me against the school.
Me gonna choosed not to argue wit you no more.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
No, if Jewish schools feel they're "excluded" they can start their own league, just like the Christian schools did. But that would make too much sense right?
There are not that many Jewish schools. It would not be possible to have an all Jewish League, imo.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Let's think back a few years. Rosa Parks broke the law when she sat in the white section of the bus. The law was unjust. At that time there was no legal recourse with which she could dispute the law. So she made a quiet statement to try to challenge the unjust law. Now, thanks to Ms. Parks and many others likes her, we have the legal means to fight these types of things...and you say they are wrong to use them. Shame on you.
You are right,
except that Rosa Parks didn't sue
and the law was changed to protect everybody, not just Rosa Parks' friends.

Quote:
Whether out of anti-Semitism or just plain old stubbornness, The director of TAPPS dug in his heels when he had multiple opportunities to do the right thing in full accordance with his own league's "rules." Instead he made an ass out of himself in front of literally the whole world since the controversy went viral.
Same comment...
why should we ask to make an exception for X group instead of just changing the rules/laws to make sure that all religions are protected?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You are right,
except that Rosa Parks didn't sue
and the law was changed to protect everybody, not just Rosa Parks' friends.

Same comment...
why should we ask to make an exception for X group instead of just changing the rules/laws to make sure that all religions are protected?
Rules and laws are not the same thing. The framework in which rules are made by a private organization are governed by laws.

With the league in question, TAPPS, the rules say game times and/or dates can be changed if the executive director so chooses. He just chose not to. Why? Read his quotes in the various articles and see what conclusion you draw.

So, just to recap here for the knuckle draggers here so concerned about the "rules" and the Jews who greedily, selfishly, arrogantly and grubbily protest and sue for their special privileges. Governments make laws. Private organizations/non profits make rules. The rules can't be in violation of the laws. And the rules are the rules unless the rules say the rules can be changed.

I know, it's complicated and everything would be much easier if all these minorities just kept quiet and went along with the program. But bear with us. We gave you bagels, so we must be good for something, right?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
I am stunned that there is any controversy about this.

The league knew when the Jewish school joined that this would be a possibility.

Changing the game time is not a big deal.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
With the league in question, TAPPS, the rules say game times and/or dates can be changed if the executive director so chooses.
Ok, let's say I agree with you.

What do you think the rule should be to keep this from happening again?
Should it be left up to the executive director to decide if the times/dates get changed? (Assuming that he/she won't be biased)
or should the rules protect everybody and say that when there's a religious conflict, the times/dates should be changed to help them out?

I agree with you,
I just think that the rules/laws should be the same for everybody.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Jewish people are about 2% of the population in the US. In Texas, the Jewish population is about 1/2 a percent. There are a few more in Houston than in Texas as a whole. There are only two private Jewish high schools in Houston. Exactly how could they form their own league. This league is for [b]all/B] private high schools in the Houston area. Why should they leave out one religion because Christian schools are in the majority? Are they afraid that the Jews will beat them?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM

433 posts, read 701,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Jewish people are about 2% of the population in the US. In Texas, the Jewish population is about 1/2 a percent. There are a few more in Houston than in Texas as a whole. There are only two private Jewish high schools in Houston. Exactly how could they form their own league. This league is for [b]all/B] private high schools in the Houston area. Why should they leave out one religion because Christian schools are in the majority? Are they afraid that the Jews will beat them?
This is how they encourage diversity. Are you really surprised in this city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: