Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 125,410 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the Houston area in a month or two. I have posted on here already about the Katy area bc that is where I want to live. I have a 7 yo daughter and schools are my priority. However, my husband's work is located near 290 and hwy 6. He went fown there last week and says the traffic from the south side of Katy (where we would prefer to live) to his work is brutal, especially during rush hour(s). Also, I do not like the idea of Cy-Fair, even though it would be closer, due to the open concept. I don't think my daughter would do well there. SO, is there any place in the vicinity where my husband will be working that is safe with good schools? Or should we stick with Katy? My husband will do whatever I want, but I hate for him to have to deal with that traffic, especially with the long hours he is going to have to work. I can not emphasize enough how important living in a safe area and sending my daughter to an excellent school is. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,043 times
Cy-Fair has 750,000 people. It's a big area. Big. Not sure what part you may have looked at, but where we live is quite nice. You should probably know that, unlike Katy, the nicest parts aren't located right off the freeways. Cy-Fair ISD is renowned in Houston and Cy-Fair schools are excellent for the most part, some better than others. Solid choices exist in the areas zoned to Cy-Fair, Cy-Woods, Cy-Creek and soon to open Cy-Ranch.

Flickr: Photos from longwood_cypress

Personally, I much prefer Cypress to Katy, but whatever floats your boat. Good luck with the move.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Cy-fair

My concern with Cy-fair is the "open concept" in their schools? Are you famliar with this? Otherwise I have heard very good things about it.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 48,223 times
Default I think it depends on your child and your situation.

I took two years in open concept and hated it, but I came from a closed concept school. Had I started earlier - in kindergarten or first grade - my experience might have been different. The noise level at these schools isn't loud, just a low level din. I can see some kids unable to concentrate, but most should be fine. Again, I think you have to keep in mind the type of child you have and whether they would do well in that type of environment.

Note that junior high and high schools go back to closed concept.

Last edited by John84; 09-09-2007 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM

22 posts, read 96,700 times
The drive would be crazy, the traffic here is unbelievable!!!! We just moved to Cypress from New Hampshire. Cypress is a very nice place to live. Have you thought about private school (their are many) try houstonprivateschools.org We just put our son in private school, although I have heard great things about the Cy-Fair schools they are just to large. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM

179 posts, read 858,255 times
I was in CFISD and I hated open concept.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM

We can not afford private school. If so we would definitley do it.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,032 times
You might look in the Klein ISD or the Tomball ISD if C-F doesn't do it for you!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,190 times
Klein and Tomball are both great school districts. My own kids go to Klein schools and I have been very happy with it.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,043 times
From what I've gathered, is that CFISD Middle & High Schools are 'closed' concept and the Elementaries 'open'.

I myself attended 'open' concept schools and managed to get into the University of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: