Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What makes Houston boring to the people who are bored in Houston?
If you don't stop fanning the flames of this thread I am gonna come to Bama and spank you. You and David Dollar have the most posts in this thread. Twice as many as anyone else. Clearly you are keeping it alive. I can understand why David would do it, but you need to cut that out.

There is no more bored people here than anywhere else.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What makes Houston boring to the people who are bored in Houston?
Native Houstonian here and I LOVE Houston but want to make it better! But here is my opinion.

1. No very vibrant congregation of people. For example:

Miami - South Beach
NY - Times Square
LA - Hollywood
Chi - Magnificent Mile
New Orleans - French Quarter
D.C. - DuPoint Circle
San Ant - River Walk

2. No mass transit to easily and cheaply move people around.

3. No Ready-Made easily accessible tourist attractions For example:

New York, Statute of Liberty etc......
DC... Capitol Builds, Lincoln memorial etc.... you get my drift.
Seattle - Space Needs
Atl - Aquarium of the Americas
Chi - Sears Tower
Major Amusement Parks

That's why it's boring to me. People can disagree but that's the consensus. Great place to live, but sort of boring if you are a young adult.

I think the key is in erasing that mantra for starters is to get downtown going. In 2004, I thought we were moving in the right direction. They really could have transformed downtown into a vibrant city center but they Failed. If it was up to me, I would close down Main street to vehicle traffic every weekend, bring in street vendors, spur more shopping/eating downtown. And that would boost the downtown nightlife as well. But hey, what do I know.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 PM

70 posts, read 104,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
This I would agree with.

After all, that's why we're all here, jabbering away on an internet forum, is it not?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If you don't stop fanning the flames of this thread I am gonna come to Bama and spank you. You and David Dollar have the most posts in this thread. Twice as many as anyone else. Clearly you are keeping it alive. I can understand why David would do it, but you need to cut that out.

Yeah, but I actually haven't been bagging on Houston. I wasn't gonna post at all until somebody said something ludicrous.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Disagree. I don't think it has anything to do with politics but rather where they originally come from. Definitely those who express dissatisfaction tend to come from regions that lean towards the left side of the aisle (I say lean, given the State has had a Republican governor for the majority of the last 30 years). That doesn't mean it has anything to do with their politics. I'd say it has everything to do with the very strong differences between their point of origin and Houston. California, for example, has aesthetic beauty, great climate, etc. Houston is flat, not particularly attractive and rough weather. That is a tough adjustment for people to make. My first wife was from San Francisco. When she came out to Chicago, she had a tough time with the lack of hills and flatness of the Midwest in general. It was culture shock. Similarly, those most likely to enjoy Houston come from areas that have a lot of similarities.

I have a long list of Republican acquaintances (having come out of the oil industry) who hate Houston and can't wait to get out of here. Flip side, I know plenty of Democrats (myself included) who are perfectly happy here. Hell, one of the biggest pro-Houston posters on this board is also probably by far and away the most liberal person on the board.
Where they come from IS representative of their politics. You think a lot of raging conservatives come out of San Francisco. Or a lot of hard core liberals are moving here from Alabama? LOL.

Look, obviously not all people fit into this category, but as the other poster so forwardly put it, it IS a cultural issue. People from the north east look down on TX. That is a FACT! I lived there and even the conservatives there look down on Texans. Same is true of CA. So yes, while climate is a part of the equation, it's only a part of the equation because liberals in general tend to move towards the coasts and therefore get use to the climate there and the scenery.

If you don't think there is a cultural wall here on many of these threads then you just are not that observant. It's as blatant as anything I have ever seen.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
I dunno.... I actually don't mind the heat so much. I'd much rather have our summers than deal with some snow up north. I've never been in deep snow...all of my world travels seem to go further south in lattitude and I've been in places that were way hotter than Houston where that was absolutely no air conditioning, and really, you get used to it and learn to enjoy it and you see people doing things like building houses out of mud and cement...things that keep the house nice and cool when it's hot out (Mexico, Central America) ...or you see people adjusting their schedules so that no one really comes outside until the evening (Mauritania, parts of Morocco and Western Sahara)...or you see people just hanging out in the shade and dealing with it (S. Asia). I never really felt like I was dying in these climates. Then again, I grew up in Houston and heat and humidity is nothing new to me.

Cold on the other hand? The winter before this last one nearly killed me. I can't take the cold at all. It is painful to be outside in the cold...painful to the body. It is not painful to be outside in the heat. I would simply die if I had to endure the winter of a more northern state.

I think an 80 degree Christmas is nothing to hate. I am extremely glad that it isn't freezing and snowing for Christmas because I actually care about being comfortable and being cold to me is the exact opposite of being comfortable. We live in a lush, warm and wet climate where life thrives!

Think about what the natives here used to wear and how they dealt with the heat: they lived in huts and tents that were either built of mud or very airy and breezy and they wore next to nothing. Surely they would think we are complete idiots for trying to deal with the heat by wearing thick denim and jersey fabric shirts that sticks to our bodies when we sweat.

I'm gonna start wearing a loincloth.

Last edited by glorplaxy; 07-25-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Where they come from IS representative of their politics. You think a lot of raging conservatives come out of San Francisco. Or a lot of hard core liberals are moving here from Alabama? LOL.

Look, obviously not all people fit into this category, but as the other poster so forwardly put it, it IS a cultural issue. People from the north east look down on TX. That is a FACT! I lived there and even the conservatives there look down on Texans. Same is true of CA. So yes, while climate is a part of the equation, it's only a part of the equation because liberals in general tend to move towards the coasts and therefore get use to the climate there and the scenery.

If you don't think there is a cultural wall here on many of these threads then you just are not that observant. It's as blatant as anything I have ever seen.
You just made my point for me. It is cultural, it is not political. As you noted, people from the NE regardless of political affiliation look down on Texas. Same can be said for West Coasters. Has naught to do with whether they are conservative our liberal.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
You just made my point for me. It is cultural, it is not political. As you noted, people from the NE regardless of political affiliation look down on Texas. Same can be said for West Coasters. Has naught to do with whether they are conservative our liberal.
The cultural IS political. It's just that conservatives in the north east are socially and culturally liberal or more so then southern conservatives.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Scott Brown would never get elected for public office in Texas and Perry would not even get elected to run a school board in the northeast.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 AM

70 posts, read 104,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Scott Brown would never get elected for public office in Texas and Perry would not even get elected to run a school board in the northeast.
The real reason for that is NOT political but CULTURAL---to be precise, a question of EDUCATION. The population in the NE has a much higher level of education than Texas, and study after study has found a direct correlation between level of education and "liberal" tilt. That's why major urban areas and college towns consistently vote blue at far higher rates than rural areas.

As John Stuart Mill famously put it: "Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston