Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 27,049 times

Advertisements

Currently I'm faced with an option to move to either city. I've already visited Seattle a few times and have a general idea of the lifestyle there. However, I'm still not convinced that Houston is right for me. I get the same response from everyone I ask: hot and humid and racist. Any other information about Houston would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshbeans View Post
Currently I'm faced with an option to move to either city. I've already visited Seattle a few times and have a general idea of the lifestyle there. However, I'm still not convinced that Houston is right for me. I get the same response from everyone I ask: hot and humid and racist. Any other information about Houston would be greatly appreciated.
Houston is hot, humid, as far as racist, that is relative. I live in Minnesota and people here can be very racist, they just know how to smile and hide it better. People in Texas(generally speaking) are more open, many times people will say things more out loud, if they dont like you (shocking for Northerners that are used to smiling and trying to hide their ugly feelings).

Seattle: very nice area, with beautiful scenery, very liberal, progressive and open people, but cost of living is very high and unemployment is high. Rains a lot, so that can be very depressing!! I find Seattle to be extremely "overrated"

Houston: Huge city, with lots of different people, but it is Texas after all. Not much scenery, but lots of things to do. Surprisingly diverse for a "Southern town". Very hot and humid, but it is NOT that bad. Found a nice house in Houston yesterday, 10 mins from downtown for $ 110,000. Same house in Seattle would cost about 3 times more!!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Found a nice house in Houston yesterday, 10 mins from downtown for $ 110,000.

That is very atypical, almost unheard of. You'd be more likely to find something for triple, 10 mins from downtown Houston. The lower-end houses 25 miles from downtown cost that much.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM

35 posts, read 117,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshbeans View Post
Excuse me, isn't racism everywhere?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
MxL

92 posts, read 509,937 times
I don't live in Houston (yet), but I've never heard that racism is a problem. What makes you think that?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Racism? Sounds like an old Texas stereotype to me. Where are these people from who are saying that?

I found the Northeast to actually have more in the way of prejudices than Houston in my experience.

Seattle - great downtown, very nice scenery, no worry about hurricane threats. Aside from those things, I'd say Houston has the advantage in most other categories (housing prices, activities, sunny weather, jobs in most fields, access to other places)

Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Racism? Sounds like an old Texas stereotype to me. Where are these people from who are saying that?

I found the Northeast to actually have more in the way of prejudices than Houston in my experience.

Seattle - great downtown, very nice scenery, no worry about hurricane threats. Aside from those things, I'd say Houston has the advantage in most other categories (housing prices, activities, sunny weather, jobs in most fields, access to other places)
That depends on what you consider in activities. I love Seattle. It's setting on Puget Sound with the Olympic Mountains to the west, Mt. Rainer to the south and the Cascade Mountains to the east is perhaps unparalled. It's simply stunning.

You have to understand, that the rain there is not how most people really think of rain. Yes, there were times when I lived there that I could not remember the last day it was raining, but the rain is more like a constant mist and it almost never downpours there. Plus, the rain and gloomy days of winter are more than worth the spectacular summers you get there. As someone who prefers warm and sun to cold and rain, I'd still take Seattle's weather over Houston's any day, because Houston's summers are unbearable, while you won't find a better summer anywhere than in Seattle.

I also love that Seattle has really distinct neighborhoods that are fun to explore. If you live around central Seattle (Downtown, Capitol Hill, 1st Hill, Belltown, and Queen Anne), you'll be around so much activity and feel like you're right in the thick of things. It's pretty urban in those areas, which I like. Fremont is cool too, as is Ballard and Wallingford, and I really like Columbia City...four neighborhoods that feel off the beaten path.

It's really up to you. You're going to hear different things from different people...and we're all biased to a degree.

I, myself, am not a big fan of the south and am even a lesser fan of Texas. There is nothing about Texas that I find interesting, exciting or enjoyable, but that's just me.

You'll definitely need to consider finances....it is more expensive in Seattle.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

9 posts, read 81,871 times
I have lived in both Houston and in a small town just outside of Seattle for 7 years each, so I think I know each one pretty well.

Weather: Seattle has a much milder climate obviously. It actually rains often in Houston, but it’s more like sudden torrential downpours during the summer rather than the endless gray misty days Seattle is known for. Seattle is awesome during the summer and crappy the rest of the year. Houston sucks during the summer, but it’s pretty nice the rest of the time.

Racism: I don’t think either place is more racist than the other (I am black). Houston is definitely way more diverse, and there’s more of a live and let live attitude there.

Pros about Houston: The great restaurants, housing affordability (although the property taxes are high, and will definitely eat into some of that affordability), it’s a HUGE city and you will never be bored as there is always something to do, the people are nice, and outside of the “summer” months, the weather is actually quite pleasant.

Cons about Houston: Summer is very hot and humid, the bugs, the traffic, smog, and doesn’t have much in the way of natural beauty like Seattle does.

You’ve visited Seattle several times, so you know that it’s chocked full of natural beauty (the water, the mountains, etc), and it’s a great place to live if you love the outdoors.

One thing about Seattle: When people visit here, they often think they would love living here, because its attractions are readily apparent. However, it’s the type of place where the cons don’t become apparent until after you’ve lived here awhile, and instead of adapting to it, some people find themselves getting worn down by them. Common complaints: Weather, SAD and the fact that it's so dark during winter, the “Seattle Freeze” (difficulty meeting and making friends).

Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Seattle: very nice area, with beautiful scenery, very liberal, progressive and open people, but cost of living is very high and unemployment is high. Rains a lot, so that can be very depressing!! I find Seattle to be extremely "overrated"
As a resident of Seattle I can tell you first hand that Seattle's unemployement is NOT high. As an 8 year resident I can tell you that the weather is a blessing for me. Being an east coast transplant the weather here is great for me. Much less oppressive humidity. Milder winter temps, and beautiful 80 degree summers. Compared to Houston which is actually a pretty nice city, Seattle is more to my liking. Much more dense, walkable, laid back, care free and surrounded by water. Though Houston has made strides in bringing people downtown there really is no comparison. Downtown Seattle has ten times more residence than dt Houston. Plus over 20 major residential projects u/c downtown right now. A much better dt shopping experience with THE flagship Nordstrom plus Barney's, Cartier, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, the Pike Place Market and tons more. The Seattle Film Festival is the largest in the U.S. Add the breathtaking natural beauty of the PNW, Seattle is a gem imo.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
As someone who has lived in Seattle, if you like people you'll love Seattle, it is far more diverse than Houston. they have these little Rushian Resturants that have great food..

Seattle is not always grey, and I have seen some amazing Sunsets there. Its very progressive. It was a bit of a culture shock for me seeing gay men kiss and make out on the streets there as well as women. But to each there own. Great night club scene there too. One thing about Seattle is there are many hills.. there is a street downtown, I kid you not has a rope on the side walk to help you up it. Next time im there I will get a picture of it.

If you like beaches I did not see many if any in Seattle... there was one very small one on East Lake just 3 streets down from my house. But it was too small to do anything with and the house boats sorta filled the area it was in. The water is also ice cold there compaired to the 98 degree water in Houstin.

Freeway/highway traffic is about the same.. Interstate 5 can get insane at times.. but I think the transit system in Seattle was much better than houstins.. so much so I did not need a car while in Seattle I could ride the bus to work each morning. And people in Seattle know how to drive in the rain.. Houstin traffic is crazy, people always in a hurry, I saw acident after accident there every day.

I would pick Seattle over Houstin personally. I do love Galveston though and may choose it over Seattle. Both have the same great feel to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston