Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 AM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times

Advertisements

In fact, I felt safer in Downtown Houston at night than in Downtown Dallas. Once the clubs and bars close in Dowtown Dallas, it ain't so safe for ANYONE to stick around. Never got that feeling in Downtown Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times
1. Build Downtown H&M and other destination retails (i.e. Best Buy, etc)
2. Affordable Housing
3. STREET VENDORS near House of Blues or Northern end of Main where the clubs are
4. Complete the Rail so that more "shoppers/partiers" have access to downtown and can ride train home
5. Close car Main North end vehicle traffic on weekends to create festival atmosphere

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
It's not fun or safe now? I did manage to spend a little time in downtown Houston on my last trip and it seemed MUCH more exciting than Downtown Dallas.

Newbie, you definately have something against Dallas. I suspect you don't live here like you say. Downtown Dallas is on a roll big-time right now. Tons of new apartments, parks, restaurants, etc... being built. There are more people on the streets than there have been in years. Yet you come on and say that downtown Houston is MUCH more exciting than Downtown Dallas, despite the fact that the Houston folks are talking about how their downtown is lacking in excitement. I suspect you may actually be a Houston resident.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 AM

392 posts, read 633,867 times
We might be better servEd by an inventory of what each downtown contains, such as number of venues, types of leisure time activities, and so forth.

If someone thinks that a particular downtown is more exciting than another, it is impossible to objectively quantify that feeling, or attribute it to the downtown.

Everyone has a history of fun experiences, and they are catalogued in the mind by various markers, indexes, triggers, or whatever else you want to call it. The sight of a particular Houston building or a visual impression of a Dallas streetscape will pull a whole chain of associations out of someone's subconscious mind, but have no effect on the next guy. This is called restimulation of pleasure moments.

Bottom line, it is not the Dallas or Houston downtown that is exciting, it is the subconscious mind driving the excitement.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Another complicating factor is that downtown Dallas is arbitrarily defined. As is downtown Houston.

Anyone can draw boundary lines in order to bias one downtown in favor of another.

A better way to look at this is that both areas, Dallas and Houston, have their fun and interesting spots. But it is meaningless to try to rate them objectively.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Actually, if you look at downtown Manhattan, it doesn't look vibrant.

You go around Wall street at 10 PM, and the place is almost empty.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Housing. Housing. Housing. Houston hate for Dallas should not prevent watching what they are doing up there. They are transforming every vacant old building downtown into housing. They are building parks all over downtown. The train service continues every year. The uptown area next to downtown has become a monster.
We don't need to watch what they are doing. The two cities are already too much alike. I can think of a hundred other cities we can look at for urban planning before we even give Dallas a second thought. But really why focus on any other city and we just do our own thing. It's not like Houston is in a decline.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
To the people who are suggesting we build a Target and Best Buy downtown, think again. That is actually probably the worst possible idea. As much as I loathe Boston, they do know how to do a downtown right, and they know building a massive chain retail/restaurant space is not the way. Downtown Houston needs destinations and attractions unique to the city of Houston to keep patrons coming back. Are you really going to drive all the way downtown to shop at your favorite Super Walmart?

Downtown Houston also does not need more affordable housing. It simply needs more housing, which, based on simple economics, would probably bring down the cost of housing in the area. To the people whining about price, living in downtown anywhere is expensive.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
To the people who are suggesting we build a Target and Best Buy downtown, think again. That is actually probably the worst possible idea. As much as I loathe Boston, they do know how to do a downtown right, and they know building a massive chain retail/restaurant space is not the way. Downtown Houston needs destinations and attractions unique to the city of Houston to keep patrons coming back. Are you really going to drive all the way downtown to shop at your favorite Super Walmart?

Downtown Houston also does not need more affordable housing. It simply needs more housing, which, based on simple economics, would probably bring down the cost of housing in the area. To the people whining about price, living in downtown anywhere is expensive.
I'm sure the people that live in the immediate vicinity of downtown and surrounding areas would beg to differ.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I'm sure the people that live in the immediate vicinity of downtown and surrounding areas would beg to differ.
I'm moving back to Montrose, where I lived for 3 years, and I don't beg to differ at all. I don't think Houston needs an 11th Best Buy. Perhaps a chain with less locations, MAYBE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston