Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,981 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Houston from Austin this summer, and I've been looking online at various suburbs around Houston. My husband is going to be working downtown, and commute is a big issue for us since he's never had a long commute. We're looking to spend in the $150-200K range.

We have looked into Pearland, because the commute seems short, just up 288, but we have friends telling us the traffic is awful on 288. Then we have an acquaintance in Kingwood, and apparently you can ride the bus with the Park 'n' Ride. A longer commute on a bus/train would be okay, because he can work while he's riding...

Thoughts on differences? It seems like the schools are ranked fairly equally in both locations - schools are also very important to us, since we've got 4 kids, 2 of whom are already in elementary. Also, are there other places that might fit for us?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Both suburbs would work fine. I looked at both before choosing Kingwood. I was shopping for a house right after Katrina and Rita and decided to go North farther away from the coast.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I like Kingwood a lot but I don't like that it never developed the area around it like the Woodlands did. I don't care for the Humble/1960 area for shopping, etc.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM

14 posts, read 32,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I like Kingwood a lot but I don't like that it never developed the area around it like the Woodlands did. I don't care for the Humble/1960 area for shopping, etc.
I agree, I live on the beltway but just imagine what type of traffic you would get. I believe Kingwood is too close to Houston to do something great like that!

The Woodlands is in the middle, we have Lake Conroe then you have Spring. So they can get away with it...

Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseB View Post
I agree, I live on the beltway but just imagine what type of traffic you would get. I believe Kingwood is too close to Houston to do something great like that!

The Woodlands is in the middle, we have Lake Conroe then you have Spring. So they can get away with it...
I agree. They could build north towards New Caney, but Porter's in the way.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
If he is working downtown, then almost any of the suburbs are fine if he wants to take the park and ride bus. The Woodlands has their own transit park and ride system that is not part of the Houston Metro system. The park and ride buses are all nicer, like charter buses, and run about $3-5 each way, but many employers help with the cost. I take it when my older kids each need cars (dad of 4 with twins!). One benefit of the Woodlands is the Hardy tollroad which is a good alternative if traffic is backed up on the freeway. But the Kingwood traffic is a bit less than the regular Woodlands traffic.

Good luck on your search!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 AM

235 posts, read 802,943 times
You can also look at Fall Creek, Summer Creek, etc. They're closer in than Kingwood but not as fully developed. Kingwood is more of an enclave and has richer overall inhabitants. The area around Fall Creek is more 'diverse' and some people don't like that.
But you're also much closer in and will save at least 15-20 minutes off your commute. Fall Creek is 3 miles from the Park and Ride and the ride in is about 20 minutes.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
No Park 'n Ride in Pearland.... yet.

Ronnie

Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
Yea, either option would work. Traffic is less congested on 59 and you can take the park and ride. 288 traffic towards downtown and back can get bad. From 518 to downtown is only about 14-15 miles, but the trip either way can take 45 minutes during heavy traffic.

The best thing to do would be to pay a visit to both areas and see which has a better feel for you. Pearland will be closer to the city if you want to visit museums/parks/inner city shopping on the weekend.

Pick a couple homes or areas that you like and compare the taxes and insurance. That might help your decision as well.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM

799 posts, read 2,440,701 times
Ill vote for Kingwood, its just less congested than other options, and the commute will be less stressful, even if a tad longer in distance.

(which is funny because im moving to pearland/friendswood this summer to be closer to inlaws)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston