Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Whether it's originating or connecting passengers, I just have trouble seeing IAH having 500 people every day wanting service to Frankfurt ? I mean that's 2 daily 777 flights, right ? Certainly to London, but not Frankfurt.
I can't speak for other companies, but my former energy sector employer had a deal with Star Alliance. As a result, everyone flying to Africa or the Middle East was on the Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt connecting to other destinations. I'd be curious to see what percentage of the Houston to Frankfurt flight is energy related business but I'd suspect it is pretty high, especially in business class.

Would Lufthansa keep up that flight without the United presence? I can't see any reason why not. BA and Air France both have their service to Houston despite not being Star Alliance. Korean Air flies to Dallas which is not a Sky Team hub. Don't need to have a related hub operation to have an international flight if there is enough dedicated traffic on that flight. In the case of Houston to Frankfurt, my gut is that there is enough dedicated traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 PM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times
Jürgen Siebenrock, vice president of the Americas for Lufthansa, cited the booming oil and gas industry as the key reason behind the German carrier's choice of Houston for A380 service.
"Lufthansa connects more than 35 oil and energy destinations in the world, and we believe the A380 will help us with our product," Siebenrock declared.
"My sales team has promised me that we will retain those high load factors - over 90 percent - in the coming months."
Siebenrock said Lufthansa's relationship with United, its biggest partner in the Star Alliance, also was key and that "without United, we could not connect into this big plane."
World's largest jetliner makes first landing at Bush Intercontinental - Houston Chronicle
So like I said in the title of this thread guys, Parker needs to spread the rep where it's deserved, whereever it's deserved. If she doesn't know who all that includes, obviously the Lufthansa VP does.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 PM

You will have to forgive me if I do not take one Star Alliance member putting in a plug for another as absolute gospel. If the route supports it, then it supports it.

I have flown the A380 a few times on Korean Air from Seoul to Los Angeles. LA is not a Delta hub. Doesn't matter, the demand on that route supports the use of an A380. On the other hand, on the KAL Seoul to Atlanta flight (Delta's main hub), Korean Air does not currently use an A380.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:04 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Jürgen Siebenrock, vice president of the Americas for Lufthansa, cited the booming oil and gas industry as the key reason behind the German carrier's choice of Houston for A380 service.
"Lufthansa connects more than 35 oil and energy destinations in the world, and we believe the A380 will help us with our product," Siebenrock declared.
"My sales team has promised me that we will retain those high load factors - over 90 percent - in the coming months."
Siebenrock said Lufthansa's relationship with United, its biggest partner in the Star Alliance, also was key and that "without United, we could not connect into this big plane."
World's largest jetliner makes first landing at Bush Intercontinental - Houston Chronicle
So like I said in the title of this thread guys, Parker needs to spread the rep where it's deserved, whereever it's deserved. If she doesn't know who all that includes, obviously the Lufthansa VP does.

Maybe she needs to thank exxon, bp, shell, chevron and conoco Phillips first then. Apparently without them (and other energy companies) luftansa wouldn't have flown.

Or maybe...just maybe Houston doesn't owe united anything because they only partnered with luftansa because it was a financial boon for them and had nothing to do with propping up the Houston air market and they'll drop it the second a downturn drops passenger count.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 PM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
You will have to forgive me if I do not take one Star Alliance member putting in a plug for another as absolute gospel. If the route supports it, then it supports it.

I have flown the A380 a few times on Korean Air from Seoul to Los Angeles. LA is not a Delta hub. Doesn't matter, the demand on that route supports the use of an A380. On the other hand, on the KAL Seoul to Atlanta flight (Delta's main hub), Korean Air does not currently use an A380.
A Pacific rim city, LA metro is 3 times the size of Houston metro and ATL metro and and it's not surprising that its local population supports A380 service to Asia.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Maybe she needs to thank exxon, bp, shell, chevron and conoco Phillips first then. Apparently without them (and other energy companies) luftansa wouldn't have flown.
Based on JimBakker488's comments.... Houston would become a ghost town if United were to ever leave Houston.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM

340 posts, read 803,007 times
Just flew in today on this A380 in first class. Must say it was pretty amazing, but the fod was a little over exotic for me. Not a big fan of caviar or reindeer.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriSwede1 View Post
Wouldnt it make more sense to run a route from AMS to IAH with a 380?
LH isn't a Dutch airline..

Great idea to point it Star Alliance. They really do a lot of those so called code sharing flights.

If it turns out to be unprofitable, they'll just cancel the route.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 PM

The route has been around for a long time, they simply converted it over to A380 service.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM

683 posts, read 834,565 times
Haven't lived here long enough to know all the history but trying to fly directly out of Houston to anywhere in the world is really difficult. We have to fly to Dallas or Los Angeles. So my question....who is holding Houston back? I do not believe there is not a market. I think maybe our hub airlines have created an artificial market that makes us pay higher prices. I think the Mayor understands this. It shouldn't be so expensive to fly out of Houston....and we should have way more choices to fly to other parts of the world non-stop. We are booming and energy becomes more and more important everyday...so now is the time to bust open the shackles of repressed capitalism at our airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston