Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

This is what Maliah Michel, the famous stripper that lives in Houston said about Houston's economy via Instagram: "maliahspics@farra29 your right about the downtown LA is such a massive city and so is NY but I am from LA and opportunity is here in the south. A place where the economy is almost excellent and black people have businesses and are making moves. Compared to LA where it's all about who u know. As for me my career didn't boom until I came to the H. Being an LA girl I had the same kind of mentality as u when I came like imma run circles around these country folk. Haa I quickly found out different."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I agree diversity of businesses is not an issue in Houston now or for the medium term. The stats on oil and gas jobs now is more like 48% of the economy is based upon it, Barton Smith, the Houston ecnomist is my source. Also the Houston doesnt have HQ is a red herring. ExxonMobil has 10 businesses all of which will have their HQ in Houston after the campus is finished and the Fairfax companies moved to Houston. Look it up in their annual report 10K to see what the Presidents of these businesses can make.... as is fitting for a huge business each of these are, the leaders of them, based in Houston are equivalent to CEO's of many Fortune 100 businesses.

Houston will be fine in the medium to long term in my view. Tourism is the economic driver that isnt healthy which is why Fla, Ca and Las Vegas are struggling for jobs today and will for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 09-11-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree diversity of businesses is not an issue in Houston now or for the medium term. The stats on oil and gas jobs now is more like 48% of the economy is based upon it, Barton Smith, the Houston ecnomist is my source. Also the Houston doesnt have HQ is a red herring. ExxonMobil has 10 businesses all of which will have their HQ in Houston after the campus is finished and the Fairfax companies moved to Houston. Look it up in their annual report 10K to see what the Presidents of these businesses can make.... as is fitting for a huge business each of these are, the leaders of them, based in Houston are equivalent to CEO's of many Fortune 100 businesses.

Houston will be fine in the medium to long term in my view. Tourism is the economic driver that isnt healthy which is why Fla, Ca and Las Vegas are struggling for jobs today and will for the foreseeable future.
Like Exxon, Chevron has several huge units in the Houston area. The Chevron Africa-Latin America Company is headquartered here. Also headquartered is North America-Gulf of Mexico and Energy Technology company (although they keep a small and growing smaller group in the SF Bay to avoid attrition of the surfer-scientists). Also, Royal Dutch Shell critical Shell Oil (USA Subsid) is HQ'd downtown and they have a large upstream technology division HQ'd in Bellaire/West U area in side the loop on Bellaire Blvd.

Shell, Exxon, and Chevron technically have their corporate head offices in other cities but these subsidiaries HQ'd here are larger than mid-sized majors / large independants. The executive staffs heading up these units are making big bucks and don't mind living in the cultural mileau of Houston one bit. Actually, the HQ units of those companies are much smaller in total personell than probably any of the individual Houston-based subsidiaries.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
Chevron HQ will soon move to Houston as SLB did few years ago from NY. The lot next to 1500 Louisiana will be the building for the entire San Ramon office inclduing downstream. Most of HQ folks will say "nei" but watch it unfolding.
Exxon executives will also move from Dallas to Houston. Watch that one unfolding as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Like Exxon, Chevron has several huge units in the Houston area. The Chevron Africa-Latin America Company is headquartered here. Also headquartered is North America-Gulf of Mexico and Energy Technology company (although they keep a small and growing smaller group in the SF Bay to avoid attrition of the surfer-scientists). Also, Royal Dutch Shell critical Shell Oil (USA Subsid) is HQ'd downtown and they have a large upstream technology division HQ'd in Bellaire/West U area in side the loop on Bellaire Blvd.

Shell, Exxon, and Chevron technically have their corporate head offices in other cities but these subsidiaries HQ'd here are larger than mid-sized majors / large independants. The executive staffs heading up these units are making big bucks and don't mind living in the cultural mileau of Houston one bit. Actually, the HQ units of those companies are much smaller in total personell than probably any of the individual Houston-based subsidiaries.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Who the hell owns the measuring stick and decides how much is enough? That's so subjective it hurts.

Ronnie

Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Out of the big 6, there are only 3 with American headquarters. Conoco is the only one headquartered here in Houston and they are the "sometimes" Supermajor (and, unluckily, the one considering splitting into two!!). The two big American ones, Exxon and Chevron have most (if not all) of their workers here but their top brass are in "headquarters" cities, Dallas and San Francisco respectively.

Houston is definitely not a headquarters town. What makes it so bad to live in that it's only good enough for your workers to live in? It gets described ranging from oil patch to blue collar town for some reason. Houston needs to know why the major players in the industry that it (supposedly) specializes in are not headquartered here instead of DFW and S.F. The American companies with Houston headquarters tend to be small/medium sized companies and servicing industries with Conoco being the biggest.

It's like having all the Wall Street top brass in N.Y.C. but dumping the workers in Charlotte. Might as well move the trading floor there since the traders are there!

DFW has headquarters for various industries from Exxon to JCPenney and all the way to bankrupting Blockbuster and whoever owned Bennigan's. Some call that diversified. What makes DFW attractive for executives but not Houston? We need to get those dollars before it ends up in NorthPark!

Is it the urban planning, the housing stock choices, etc. that repel executives of household name companies? What makes it that way and what changes should be made? Houston's future is at stake and we don't want our fair city to end up like Detroit.
Houston has more headquarters then DFW. Man did you just move here from OInionoineoiane,Jupitar? This is common knowledge dude. And one reason DFW does have alot of headquarters because of location. DFW has a better location being somewhat in the center or Texas and not being far from Arkansas,Oklahoma, and Louisiana then Houston. Location plays a key role when it comes to picking headquarters.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This is what Maliah Michel, the famous stripper that lives in Houston said about Houston's economy via Instagram: "maliahspics@farra29 your right about the downtown LA is such a massive city and so is NY but I am from LA and opportunity is here in the south. A place where the economy is almost excellent and black people have businesses and are making moves. Compared to LA where it's all about who u know. As for me my career didn't boom until I came to the H. Being an LA girl I had the same kind of mentality as u when I came like imma run circles around these country folk. Haa I quickly found out different."
Laughs out Loud... All I can do to keep from crying. Better question is why do I know who you are referring too. I blame Drake.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
LMAO, even though I wouldn't take advice from a stripper/dancer(Love her videos though) She has a point. People are coming to Houston for more then just oil and gas industry. It's even good for a stripping "career" as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:58 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
Good example of how Exxon's move generates more busines, almost like a chain reaction.

Exxon Mobil campus drives home sales in area - Houston Chronicle

Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
LMAO, even though I wouldn't take advice from a stripper/dancer(Love her videos though) She has a point. People are coming to Houston for more then just oil and gas industry. It's even good for a stripping "career" as well.
LOL. It was funny to me as well. I was just looking at her Instagram yesterday and she had a picture of DT Houston from the plane she was on. The person she had @ on Instagram is from Chicago and he said said Houston's skyline is "cute," but is small when compared to Chi or LA. So the Houstonians replied to his comment and they had a city-data like debate. It was so weird especially with it being on Instagram. So, Maliah replied and typed the comment that I had posted. Even strippers know that Houston's economy is good; those big time oil businessmen are giving her big bucks to twist around the pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston