Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Not in the two most important ways.

1. Location, location loacation
2. Public transportation.

We saw during the north Texas superbowl that these two were the biggest complaints

Cowboy stadium is bigger and newer, thats about it. It being in the burbs away from all the parties and amenities in Dallas is a severe blow. Not having any public transportation in Arlington is another big one.

Say what you want but the more successful superbowl was not at cowboys stadium.
I never said that the north texas superbowl was more successful. None of this changes the fact that Cowboys Stadium is a much better venue than Reliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
I don't even think Denver is a finalist to host and yet they are spending $30M on theirs next year.
That is twice what we are spending just for the pleasure of the fans.
Then again the Broncos have way more passionate fans than the Texans.
You make it sound as if "supporting an NFL team" is the most important social issue that the city of Houston has.

I rather spend that money fixing the crappy highway system that we have
just take a drive from downtown to George Bush airport if you don't know what I'm talking about

Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I never said that the north texas superbowl was more successful. None of this changes the fact that Cowboys Stadium is a much better venue than Reliant.
"Better" is all relative.

Relaint was the first for many things in the NFL when it was built, most notabley that historic defeat against the Dallas Cowboys. I can remember that look on Jerry Jone's face the first time he stepped into Reliant. He was awestruck & was already cooking up plans in his head for a newer, bigger, & better stadium. Houston's Superbowl was a HUGE success, North Texas' exactly the opposite.

Cowboys Stadium's saving grace is the fact its near Six Flags & the Ballpark at Arlington. Other than that its off centered suburban location within the Metroplex sucks. I would much rather have seen it built in Las Colinas which is at least in Dallas County. Where it stands for the next 50 years now its much closer to DT Fort Worth than DT Dallas...good for Fort Worth bad for Dallas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-23-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
"Better" is all relative.

Relaint was the first for many things in the NFL when it was built, most notabley that historic defeat against the Dallas Cowboys. I can remember that look on Jerry Jone's face the first time he stepped into Reliant. He was awestruck & was already cooking up plans in his head for a newer, bigger, & better stadium. Houston's Superbowl was a HUGE success, North Texas' exactly the opposite.

Cowboys Stadium's saving grace is the fact its near Six Flags & the Ballpark at Arlington. Other than that its off centered suburban location within the Metroplex sucks. I would much rather have seen it built in Las Colinas which is at least in Dallas County. Where it stands for the next 50 years now its much closer to DT Fort Worth than DT Dallas...good for Fort Worth bad for Dallas.
I'm really not sure why you all keep bringing up superbowls when both stadiums have only hosted one apiece. I've been to BOTH stadiums several times and Cowboys Stadium is easily the better of the two . I'm not talking about location or any of that other meaningless crap. I'm talking about the actual stadium. Few (outside of Houston) would argue that Reliant is a better stadium.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
I think a new scoreboard is worthwhile but doesn't anyone question WHY a scoreboard costs $16 million? We throw around millions like peanuts these days. Who is getting all this money? Was it bid on by competing companies or is it an insider deal? What is the margin on these deals?

Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Those funds, which come from hotel, motel and rental car taxes, are presently being used to pay off some of the bonds at Reliant Park.
Ah. So this is why Houston doesn't have the free festivals that other cities have. All the hotel/motel tax goes to the Texans.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:06 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Ah. So this is why Houston doesn't have the free festivals that other cities have. All the hotel/motel tax goes to the Texans.
All our tax dollars are supposed to go to the Texans
That's all the "free entertainment" that we need

Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You make it sound as if "supporting an NFL team" is the most important social issue that the city of Houston has.

I rather spend that money fixing the crappy highway system that we have
just take a drive from downtown to George Bush airport if you don't know what I'm talking about
Didnt know that houston was such a one pony town that they can only do one project at a time.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I'm really not sure why you all keep bringing up superbowls when both stadiums have only hosted one apiece. I've been to BOTH stadiums several times and Cowboys Stadium is easily the better of the two . I'm not talking about location or any of that other meaningless crap. I'm talking about the actual stadium. Few (outside of Houston) would argue that Reliant is a better stadium.
Location is not meaningless. A boondocks stadium loses major points. Hard to enjoy it if you cant get to it.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Location is not meaningless. A boondocks stadium loses major points. Hard to enjoy it if you cant get to it.
Well seeing as how the Cowboys lead the NFL in attendance and the North Texas Superbowl drew over 100k, it would appear that folks are getting to the stadium just fine. I agree that having a stadium in arlington isnt the most ideal, but that doesnt take away from the fact that Cowboys Stadium is the best in the NFL. I had hoped that Reliant wouldve actually set the bar higher like the Astrodome did when it opened but it failed to do so. But thats par for the course for Houston these days. Jerry Jones set the bar with the Cowboys Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston