Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times

Advertisements

Allow me to chime in an opinion. A first impression opinion from some one who drove through Humble one time.

My wife was born and raised in Humble. She attended all her grades in Humble schools. 3 years ago when we bought our place which is about a half hour above Humble she took me through a tour of her old stomping grounds. Showed me the Humble High School, the old grain mill where her Dad worked, her old home which was nothing but an empty lot as it burned down many years ago. I think it was on 4th st.? She knocked on 2 doors of 2 good friends she grew up with on a whim. Yikes !! The parents still lived in the same homes almost 30 years later and remembered her after she said her name. Turns out those 2 friends moved out of state.

That all being said, my first impression was that of an old "has been" town. Make no mistake about it. It was dumpy. But on the other hand many people like myself love old towns. Let me be less cruel and say Humble was just old and not kept up.

The wife has been gone from Humble for about 20 years now. 3 years ago was the first time she been back. She said little changed in all those years. Her heart is in Humble as it always will be but she would never move back. Several times a year when we go home in Coldspring (yes much of Coldspring is also old and dumpy) she always drives through Humble just for nostalgic sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:53 AM

209 posts, read 524,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Allow me to chime in an opinion. A first impression opinion from some one who drove through Humble one time.

My wife was born and raised in Humble. She attended all her grades in Humble schools. 3 years ago when we bought our place which is about a half hour above Humble she took me through a tour of her old stomping grounds. Showed me the Humble High School, the old grain mill where her Dad worked, her old home which was nothing but an empty lot as it burned down many years ago. I think it was on 4th st.? She knocked on 2 doors of 2 good friends she grew up with on a whim. Yikes !! The parents still lived in the same homes almost 30 years later and remembered her after she said her name. Turns out those 2 friends moved out of state.

That all being said, my first impression was that of an old "has been" town. Make no mistake about it. It was dumpy. But on the other hand many people like myself love old towns. Let me be less cruel and say Humble was just old and not kept up.

The wife has been gone from Humble for about 20 years now. 3 years ago was the first time she been back. She said little changed in all those years. Her heart is in Humble as it always will be but she would never move back. Several times a year when we go home in Coldspring (yes much of Coldspring is also old and dumpy) she always drives through Humble just for nostalgic sake.
If you refer to old Humble, then yes...It is old. Not dirty, or gross...just old. It looks its age. The actual city is only 10 square miles, and the population a little less then 15,000. I think the area is great.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:02 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Hum would you care to post some more pics here for us? Others have done so showing off their areas of the city.

Give us the best represention of what you would want to show off to an outsider looking in.

I think your one pic is Main St or E. 1st St. Certianly old Humble and I dont think very attractive.

Give it your best shot.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM

11 posts, read 38,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Your right, uneducated racists always quote DOJ statistics in their arguments. Thanks to my UT education I can inform you that your statement is called an "appeal to ridicule" whereby you ignore the stated facts and instead make a bold statement that the presenter is ridiculous to make them. Congratulations as you are well on your way to becoming a master of internet arguing.
Well I actually think that EDUCATED RACISTS actually are very good at using partial statistics to make dumbass blanket observations. A graduate from a better institution, such as Texas A&M, where engineering education is of the best in land, would have quickly deduced that there are more factors to be looked at other than just race (i.e. socioeconomic background, location, etc.) before applying a dumbass assessment such as the one that you have provided.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
This type of strategy worked for me. I had a fabulous high school GPA because the competition was so limited at my mediocre high school, so I won a full scholarship to a top university. Very silly but to my benefit. I hope that this Texas 10% rule gets overturned before my children are old enough for high school.
Ditto!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Humble has one of the better restaurants in the city, if that means anything. Chez Nous.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:26 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,265,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Humble has one of the better restaurants in the city, if that means anything. Chez Nous.
Humble City is YUMMY! We like Star out in Huffman as well. Not sure how much long ither will be around though. We never see anybody there when we go.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,502 times
hii im 15 & am going to be a sophmore at humble high school . (: Thers absolutely nothiing wrong with humble high , there are all kinds of people that go ther &ithink thats great . it gives u a taste of the real world . people who telll u to avoid it are just ignorant . theres no outrageously hiiigh crime that goes on daily , in my opinion its jus like any other high school .

Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,741,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra12 View Post
hii im 15 & am going to be a sophmore at humble high school . (: Thers absolutely nothiing wrong with humble high , there are all kinds of people that go ther &ithink thats great . it gives u a taste of the real world . people who telll u to avoid it are just ignorant . theres no outrageously hiiigh crime that goes on daily , in my opinion its jus like any other high school .
Please tell me this is a troll post.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,265,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Please tell me this is a troll post.
I know really!?! She obviously does not know how to read dates on threads if not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston