Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
It's a shame that the Galveston beaches are so muddy, but that makes sense with the Mississippi river currents. I'll bet the beaches between the Mississippi and Galveston are even worse?

What do you think is the best beach within a day's drive from Houston? South Padre, Destin, Panama City? I'm guessing S. Padre has a longer beach season than the others since it's further south - S. Padre is as far south as parts of S. Florida. I've never been to any of these, but plan to check one of these out after we move to Houston.
Anywhere from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City, FL is the best as far as I am concerned. S. Padre is nice but similar to Galveston - water and sand are similar in color but water is churning less so is more clear but still similar color.

We went to Galveston in the Fall to check out Pleasure Pier and I was amazed that the water looked greenish blue - I only see that on rare occasions and usually in the fall when the temps have cooled down some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 04:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbutter View Post
The beaches near Houston/Galveston are abysmal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
Galveston is garbage.
MAJOR exaggerations.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...tml#post236014

If it was so awful, Coastal Living Magazine wouldn't have built an Idea House there, it wouldn't be considered a top ten Spring Break spot, and would you look at this from the Travel Channel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If you're going to drive all the way to South Padre, you might as well drive to Alabama. Or Destin-- the Gulf and sand look the same. The crowds are completely different.

Corpus / Port Aransas isn't much better than Galveston. There are times the silt and seaweed out there can make things feel like you're actually in Galveston on a dirty day.
Bingo!

If you want a great beach, drive a day to AL/FL, or take a plane to Mexico's Yucatan.
Otherwise, Galveston is fine, especially at under an hour drive from Houston. It's pointless to drive to Port A, especially having to wait for that ferry.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Some more pics I've taken in Galveston more recently...
Attached Thumbnails
Galveston beaches?-galvestonbeach2.jpg   Galveston beaches?-galvestonbeachrail.jpg   Galveston beaches?-galvestonsunstetboat.jpg  

Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I personally think Galveston could be a smaller scaled down version of Charleston SC minus the nice beaches. But it has a ways to go with all the grit and rough edges. It is neat living close to the coast, however.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
omg! that was quite some photos that wclanton423 took of Bolivar! Did you take those with a digital camera?

As for me and the kids, well, yeah, the Galveston beaches aren't Australia for sure, but we've stayed at the San Luis and played out on the beach and it was nice. But now after seeing the Bolivar photos in here I wonder if we should try it.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
It's a shame that the Galveston beaches are so muddy, but that makes sense with the Mississippi river currents. I'll bet the beaches between the Mississippi and Galveston are even worse?
I believe the only beach between here and there is Sea Rim State Park, south of Port Arthur. That water is way muddier than Galveston, being near the mouth of the Sabine. Everything else east of the Sabine until about Gulfport, MS is marsh that touches the gulf, Louisiana wetlands.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 PM

164 posts, read 356,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
MAJOR exaggerations.

I stand by what I say. I totally agree the pictures taken are very nice (Houston has some awesome sunsets), but Galveston is not my idea of a great beach that I'd recommend to anyone.

But like I said, this has never stopped me from hanging out of my dinghy or hitting the sad little jetties to catch a break.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
I've lived in Clearwater, Florida (one of the best beaches) as well as San Diego, for a number of years.

Galveston is a UNIQUE treasure in itself. That Strand, that Sea Wall, Sea Wolf Park...just don't have that truly funky vibe in Clearwater or San Diego.

Look at the total picture. Galveston's strength is not in its shore compared to the pretty beach towns, per se. Okay, got that. But the architecture, vibe and kaleidoscope of visual textures...and the food! Galveston blows a lot of pretty beach towns away in the other areas, that's for sure.

Clearwater, Florida. Grew up there. Love Clearwater Beach, a beloved Tampa Bay icon. But Frenchie's is good food out there? Those tacky souvenir/bermuda short shops represent great architecture? That being said, the Strand is incomparable.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM

164 posts, read 356,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Look at the total picture. Galveston's strength is not in its shore compared to the pretty beach towns, per se. Okay, got that. But the architecture, vibe and kaleidoscope of visual textures...and the food! Galveston blows a lot of pretty beach towns away in the other areas, that's for sure.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Galveston as a whole is pretty awesome. The Strand is gorgeous, and the City's historic architecture is truly a gem. I really enjoyed exploring the cafes/antique shops tucked away near the Seawall; it's like you were in an entirely different world.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM

221 posts, read 336,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Anywhere from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City, FL is the best as far as I am concerned. S. Padre is nice but similar to Galveston - water and sand are similar in color but water is churning less so is more clear but still similar color.

We went to Galveston in the Fall to check out Pleasure Pier and I was amazed that the water looked greenish blue - I only see that on rare occasions and usually in the fall when the temps have cooled down some.
That's what I'd recommend for the best beaches within a day's drive of Houston, Gulf Shores to Panama City. My personal favorites are from Ft. Walton Beach to Destin, FL. Destin has gone from being a sleepy fishing village to a booming vacation spot, with lots of restaurants, shopping, and other fun things to do. From "The Redneck Riviera" to "The Emerald Coast." Some of it may be a little too "commercial" for some and perfect for others but the beaches have the beautiful soft, white sand and the emerald-colored water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston