Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM

94 posts, read 172,379 times

Advertisements

As property tax revenue increases in previously low value areas inside the loop, why do streets not get upgraded? We still have the same streets that were in place in front of a town home complex valued at a few million dollars that we had when the lot was a tenement. Doesn't increased revenue translate into increased services with decent roads being the most basic city service second to utilities and a fire department?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
My conspiracy theory = that money gets funneled to build new neighborhoods/streets in the suburbs in that way politicians make easy money from their developer friends. they don't make money from repaving streets.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
bingo

Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,452 times
Rich people get their streets repaved first. I see streets repaved all the time. There is only so much money in the budget. The other way streets get redone is developers when they do large projects. Many times they can get it pushed through. I don't think this has anything to suburbs developments. Many of the neighborhoods which have no HOA have no voice to get things done. You must get organized to put pressure on politicians. This is a problem in Montrose and parts of the Heights. It might happen eventually. I would not hold my breath.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Haven't ya heard? Houston does not spend money on their roads. Thinking back the 5 years I been here I can only remember one major road repaving job and that was Westhiemer. The wealthy neighborhoods are worst. Many areas the roads are unpassable. Large parts of Chimney Rock through Meyerland are unpassable at over 4 MPH. Parts of the right lane of Westhiemer through Montrose is totally unusable.

Most of Houston's roads are functionally obsolete. I can name some pot holes or man hole covers that are 6" deep or more that have been that way for 5 years that I know of. There are mountains of wheel covers next to them. If anyone fixes a pot hole here it's just a temporary cold patch.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Haven't ya heard? Houston does not spend money on their roads. Thinking back the 5 years I been here I can only remember one major road repaving job and that was Westhiemer. The wealthy neighborhoods are worst. Many areas the roads are unpassable. Large parts of Chimney Rock through Meyerland are unpassable at over 4 MPH. Parts of the right lane of Westhiemer through Montrose is totally unusable.

Most of Houston's roads are functionally obsolete. I can name some pot holes or man hole covers that are 6" deep or more that have been that way for 5 years that I know of. There are mountains of wheel covers next to them. If anyone fixes a pot hole here it's just a temporary cold patch.
I can name tons of roads that have been repaved. The list could go for days. Name a wealthy neighborhood with bad streets? South Hampton is the only one I can think of. Maybe our ideas on what a wealthy neighborhood vary. I do know that lower Westheimer did not make the cut this year to be repaved. It is a bummer because Montrose has some of the worst streets in Houston. I still don't think it is a real big deal. I drive a sports car and it does not really slow me down or bother me much. It is an old neighborhood that sees a lot of traffic.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,759 times
Don't get me started on the roads near Reliant. I thought I broke my axle turning and then driving on parts of Fannin.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You must get organized to put pressure on politicians. This is a problem in Montrose and parts of the Heights.
That's why I don't think cities (actual city limits) should be bigger than a big town (20-50,000 people)
Bigger than that, you feel like your city government won't listen to any petition.

What's interesting, is that it seems like in most cities rich neighborhoods tend to be in small big towns while everybody else gets stuck with the big city government.

Just ranting... once again.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's why I don't think cities (actual city limits) should be bigger than a big town (20-50,000 people)
Bigger than that, you feel like your city government won't listen to any petition.

What's interesting, is that it seems like in most cities rich neighborhoods tend to be in small big towns while everybody else gets stuck with the big city government.

Just ranting... once again.
We should just be all pushed out from the cities to the country like in Cambodia by the Kymer Rouge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston