Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times

Advertisements

So Mickey gilley announced today that he is opening a gilley's in Pasadena. I can't see that making it. Urban cowboy has come and gone 30 yrs ago. People aren't going to drive across town for that. Are there that many people who even go to country western bars anymore? I rarely even see a country western bar in the houston area, other than that dosey dos place in the woodlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
So Mickey gilley announced today that he is opening a gilley's in Pasadena. I can't see that making it. Urban cowboy has come and gone 30 yrs ago. People aren't going to drive across town for that. Are there that many people who even go to country western bars anymore? I rarely even see a country western bar in the houston area, other than that dosey dos place in the woodlands.
If Bruno Mars can bring back Soul/Disco/R&B/Funk and Jazz, why can't Gilley bring back Gilley's?

Chron article here.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 06-20-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
"Are there that many people who even go to country western bars anymore?" Where ya been man? Lets start with Wild West. Once 10PM comes along the line is 4 blocks long to get in. 2 hours before that you can't even get a foot onto the dance floor. Sunday's is all you can eat buffet for $3 with free dance lessons and entry all inclusive. People who don't even dance go Sunday for the food then go home for that price.

Whiskey River same deal but dancing is over by 9 since the floor is so overwhelmed with dancers standing in place cause they can't move.....

The new KIXX in Spring has only been open a month and already draws a crowd of the more professional C&W dancers. I have not been there yet but hear the dance floor is the largest in Texas. Even bigger then Billy Bobs which is the largest and greatest honky tonk on earth out in Fort Worth Stockyards.

The old Tumbleweeds in Spring reopened in January after going under 4 years ago due to Whiskey River opening nearby and being smoke free. Now Tumbleweeds opened smoke free and by 9PM they have to turn hundreds of cars away as the 500 space parking lot is overwhelmed.

Now for the smoke houses. Big Texas south in Clear Lake is like getting inside a car with 8 people jamb packed inside and with all windows closed, everyone is smoking like a chimney. So whatever smokers are still breathing after a good fast polka will still pack the place by 10PM. Big Texas north in Spring is just too big to be over crowded and have some small ventilation so it's not too bad but you'll still stink like shid when you leave.

Up in Baytown we have Cherekees which is now Electric Cowboy which is non smoking is over crowded by 10PM when it gets overwhelmed by college kids. Before that we have some real good dancers.

So when Gilley opens up a new place, there is room for another C&W facility if it's non smoking. And taking into consideration the nostalgia of this man and his past and the history behind Gilley's, it will be another packed house where by 10PM the professional dancers have to go home cause the college kids take over who can't dance to save their lives but clog up the dance floor to cop a feel from some unsuspecting woman.

Then again..................Gilley has been talking about this for how many years?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
"Are there that many people who even go to country western bars anymore?" Where ya been man? Lets start with Wild West. Once 10PM comes along the line is 4 blocks long to get in. 2 hours before that you can't even get a foot onto the dance floor. Sunday's is all you can eat buffet for $3 with free dance lessons and entry all inclusive. People who don't even dance go Sunday for the food then go home for that price.

Whiskey River same deal but dancing is over by 9 since the floor is so overwhelmed with dancers standing in place cause they can't move.....

The new KIXX in Spring has only been open a month and already draws a crowd of the more professional C&W dancers. I have not been there yet but hear the dance floor is the largest in Texas. Even bigger then Billy Bobs which is the largest and greatest honky tonk on earth out in Fort Worth Stockyards.

The old Tumbleweeds in Spring reopened in January after going under 4 years ago due to Whiskey River opening nearby and being smoke free. Now Tumbleweeds opened smoke free and by 9PM they have to turn hundreds of cars away as the 500 space parking lot is overwhelmed.

Now for the smoke houses. Big Texas south in Clear Lake is like getting inside a car with 8 people jamb packed inside and with all windows closed, everyone is smoking like a chimney. So whatever smokers are still breathing after a good fast polka will still pack the place by 10PM. Big Texas north in Spring is just too big to be over crowded and have some small ventilation so it's not too bad but you'll still stink like shid when you leave.

Up in Baytown we have Cherekees which is now Electric Cowboy which is non smoking is over crowded by 10PM when it gets overwhelmed by college kids. Before that we have some real good dancers.

So when Gilley opens up a new place, there is room for another C&W facility if it's non smoking. And taking into consideration the nostalgia of this man and his past and the history behind Gilley's, it will be another packed house where by 10PM the professional dancers have to go home cause the college kids take over who can't dance to save their lives but clog up the dance floor to cop a feel from some unsuspecting woman.

Then again..................Gilley has been talking about this for how many years?
Based on this, I think Gilley's will be a success.

Altho to be fair, since pasadena stinks soo bad anyhow, people might not mind/notice smelling like smoke. lol

Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,698,192 times
I am glad I got to go there once before it was demolished. Quite possibly the most racist place I have ever been in. I got soooo drunk that night.

Yes, people go to country bars in Houston. Blanco's was the last real country bar in Houston proper. There is just Wild Wild West and Rebel's Honky Tonk. Though both are not that country.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 23,623 times
I would like to see gilleys return. The main thing is i hope they have real country music playing, not this crap they call country music now. I''d go to it. There is alot of true texas musicians out there who could play there. Maybe they could redo urban cowboy but this time use real texas folks, not those fake hollywood types who think they can act. It would be nice to have a place for us old houston folks to go to.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times
They should re-open it with Tejano & related themes at least 4 nights a week, considering the population of Pasadena nowadays.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times
It's going to be called señor gilley's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston