Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 AM

55 posts, read 138,837 times

Advertisements

I came across this site a few weeks ago and found it to be very interesting. I have considered several different places for relocation. I came down for a music festival in Houston and decided this is where I could live. I would rather get a misquitoes bite in Nov, than deal with NY cold weather. I like NY for visiting. I would like some feed back on pasadena tx. I am relocating to Texas from the Big Apple. I have been traveling back and forth for a year and a half. I need to get out of the city life cycle. I want grass, birds,gardening, a home-based business and so on. I need to get more insight. I am looking for a low tax area, and no deed restrictions. I do not want to live too far from 610.
I hear Pasadena Memorial High is a good school. What you think.
Thank You
in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
On the old part of Pasadena - it is near the plants - I wouldn't pick that area. The only area I would live in is the area along Fairmont Parkway - nice homes, very convenient to everything, good retail, restaurants. No problems from the plants whatsoever in that area. When it rains local street flooding prevents access in some areas but it is like that around a lot of Houston so that is sort of ignorable. However - I don't care for Pasadena Schools and although Memorial is new - it isn't all that good. If you want to stay in the area and get a school zoned to Deer Park or live in Deer Park. Pasadena schools zoned to Deer Park are the ones off of Fairmont located between Space Center Boulevard and going toward Red Bluff. It is quick to get to 610 and BW-8. Areas of Clear Lake can get you to 610 pretty quick too (those along Clear Lake City Blvd. & Space Center Blvd) with excellent schools. Any further in and you have a lot of lights to contend with which could take up a lot of commute time.

Pasadena has an old, outdated reputation citywide of being redneck plant workers, racist and hayseed - however; that is an old stereotype that is assumed by some who really haven't been through there in years. The demographics are rapidly changing - probably 50-60% Hispanic and the rest mostly White - however, more and more Asian and Black families are starting to make there homes there as well because those old stereotypes really don't exist a whole lot except in history - yes you'll still find some racists out there but I don't see it any more than I do any other area. On the whole - it is convenient, good retail and quick access to major freeways and getting to town. A co-worker's wife is a minister and they moved here to be near her chuch. Kids (high-school age) boo-hooed and cried (moving from upscale Memorial)....they moved to Deer Park and amazingly the kids loved it and liked the less pretentious lifestyle than what they had been accustomed to in Houston - go figure...........

Old 08-06-2008, 02:57 AM

Thank you
I looking for a area where there are no deed restriction. Do you have any suggestions.
Also, where is the real estate tax the lowest, so to speak.
Thanks once again

Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,149,982 times
Most of Pasadena does not have deed restrictions, nor does Deer Park...they do have city codes you have to comply with. If you want the least amount of restrictions on what you do, you are going to have to find an unincorporated area which = distance from 610. Not the most salubrious of areas but somewhere off of East Mt Houston (NE Harris County) might fit the bill. If you want a nicer area that is pretty much unrestricted, you might try around Crosby (also NE area but further).

Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM

The neighborhoods along Fairmont (the newer ones) all have Deed Restrictions. Village Grove, Baywood Oaks, Preston Trails - all deed restrictions. I would suggest trying to find a home in some of the older communites - those probably do not have deed restrictions.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Thank you for the information.
What do you know about real estate tax?
I was just in Texas this week and I am so looking forward to my relocation.
I really want to stay in budget. I am frugal and would like to find a place where I can work from home. All my house expense not to exceed 1000.00 per month give or take. If that is at all possible.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:39 PM

You might try looking at Walnut Hill Condominiums -- Apartment Style condos - very well kept up - gated - covered parking - decent neighbors - safe. You could probably live there for the amount you are talking about - you could either buy or rent (if you can find someone renting one) and pay your utilities, homeowners, etc. and be under $1000 in a decent area.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 PM

530 posts, read 2,027,944 times
What is your rationale for not wanting deed restrictions? In my experience, they are usually not strict enough. Deed restrictions keep your neighbors from parking a 1972 model travel trailer in the front yard and letting their cousins move into it permanently or from parking their big-rig truck in the street every night. Those things hurt your property values and basically make your neighborhood look like junk.

Anyway, as others have said if you want no deed restrictions (or city codes, which generally are about equal), you will have to buy acreage in an unincorporated area (not inside any city limits). That means nowhere near 610, man. Nowhere near. Welcome to urban sprawl.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 17,001 times
Hi : I am taking the suggestions of some of the bloggers to consider a home /apartment in Deer Park instead of Pasadena.
Any ideas of they have active senior apartments or villages in the area ?
Anything safe and affordable ?

Last edited by Depsusie; 06-24-2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 17,001 times
Default Would an affordable house be impossible ?

Either to rent or whatever ?
Thanks for your input. We know NOTHING about the area. It is close to Louisiana and that part is good..we'll be traveling back and forth often.
Thanks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston