Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:57 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times

Advertisements

And also says that by 2023, it will be widely acknowledged as America's "Next Great Global City".

The Third Coast is the Gulf region, which includes New Orleans, Corpus Christi, and Mobile. Dallas is regarded as the capital of the Great Plains, while Atlanta is the capital of the Southeast.

Houston is also mentioned as one of the cities that threaten New York's hegemony (the rest are San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington DC), having already dethroned NYC as the nation's leading exporter and most diverse metro.

A Map Of America's Future: Where Growth Will Be Over The Next Decade - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Duh! No other city can compete economically.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
While I agree with Forbes for the most part, I get tired of these articles constantly pumping out pro-Houston stuff. At this point it's just getting ridiculous. They clearly promote the one aspect that Houston has going for itself which is namely a big business friendly environment. Other than that Houston lacks a lot of amenities to make it the "next global city" or for it to begin to compete with the likes of NYC and LA.
I mean relying on Forbes, Fortune, The Economist, Yahoo Finance or any other financial rag is to tell you where the next boom town is, is like relying on the same people who said that the New Economy was here just before the Dot.Com bubble, the Enron scandals and the housing market crash.
Houston has transportation problems, abysmal infrastructure, the crappiest public/social services of any major city, a pretty high crime rate and an uneven economic geographical development.
I mean I know Houstonians are very proud of all the press the city has been getting but remember that these are the same rags that praise cities in Brazil, China and Russia. Cities that have a huge gap between rich and poor, the bottom living in favelas, high crime and corruption problems. So clearly, when they say Houston is great they really mostly mean the opportunities to take advantage of the big boom that only benefit the few who get in on it.

The only publication I know that tackles the Houston myths is the Houston Chronicle which tell the other side of the story. If you read both Forbes and the Houston Chronicle articles, then you can get a complete picture.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
While I agree with Forbes for the most part, I get tired of these articles constantly pumping out pro-Houston stuff. At this point it's just getting ridiculous. They clearly promote the one aspect that Houston has going for itself which is namely a big business friendly environment. Other than that Houston lacks a lot of amenities to make it the "next global city" or for it to begin to compete with the likes of NYC and LA.
I mean relying on Forbes, Fortune, The Economist, Yahoo Finance or any other financial rag is to tell you where the next boom town is, is like relying on the same people who said that the New Economy was here just before the Dot.Com bubble, the Enron scandals and the housing market crash.
Houston has transportation problems, abysmal infrastructure, the crappiest public/social services of any major city, a pretty high crime rate and an uneven economic geographical development.
I mean I know Houstonians are very proud of all the press the city has been getting but remember that these are the same rags that praise cities in Brazil, China and Russia. Cities that have a huge gap between rich and poor, the bottom living in favelas, high crime and corruption problems. So clearly, when they say Houston is great they really mostly mean the opportunities to take advantage of the big boom that only benefit the few who get in on it.

The only publication I know that tackles the Houston myths is the Houston Chronicle which tell the other side of the story. If you read both Forbes and the Houston Chronicle articles, then you can get a complete picture.
Signed,

Dan Depresso

Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Signed,

Debbie Downer or if you're a male Dan Depresso

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:

You must be real fun at parties

Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Well heck, Houston is still a great city to live in. All I was saying is that it has it's share of problems, and before you guys go into the fact that every city has problems, it does have some problems that are unique to it. That's all.

What's wrong with getting a balanced view of the real Houston? Do people really prefer the rosy picture Forbes and the financial rags are all painting?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
And also says that by 2023, it will be widely acknowledged as America's "Next Great Global City".

The Third Coast is the Gulf region, which includes New Orleans, Corpus Christi, and Mobile. Dallas is regarded as the capital of the Great Plains, while Atlanta is the capital of the Southeast.

Houston is also mentioned as one of the cities that threaten New York's hegemony (the rest are San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington DC), having already dethroned NYC as the nation's leading exporter and most diverse metro.

A Map Of America's Future: Where Growth Will Be Over The Next Decade - Forbes
When did Dallas become a part of the great plains? When I think great plains I think Midwest and Dallas isn't a Midwestern city.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
When did Dallas become a part of the great plains? When I think great plains I think Midwest and Dallas isn't a Midwestern city.
Yeah isn't Ft.Worth, "where the West begins"? These mags are so full of it.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Some maps have Dallas in the Great Plains Region some don't. It indeed shares characteristics of a Midwestern city. Its a combination of Southern & Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston