Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:43 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
...and people wouldn't pay so much for private schools (in some areas) to make sure their children don't grow up in a bubble.
Those folks are the minority ie; River Oaks, West U, The Villages, Beliare, Myerland the Heights area. The rest are pretty much screwed.

If they weren't concerned about the area then their kids would be going to the public schools with the rest of the local demographics lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Those folks are the minority ie; River Oaks, West U, The Villages, Beliare, Myerland the Heights area. The rest are pretty much screwed.

If they weren't concerned about the area then their kids would be going to the public schools with the rest of the local demographics lol
Um, no.
They were concerned about their kids growing up around a majority of over privileged kids in new model cars influencing them to be close-minded and satisfied with the status quo.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
The sheer number of charter and magnet schools plus open enrollment makes having your well off children appropriately educated inside the city easy. Plenty of hisd schools are good. Its just a minority in meyerland, bellaire etc? You know how many households are in that large list? Tons. It means plenty of people are living inside the city with kids. The attitude i hate is oops heres a baby better pack off to the suburbs. There is not an intelligent thought or rationale behind that fairly large decision. Unless you live huge, you move to the suburbs to save money. Period .

Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 AM

498 posts, read 837,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
See what I mean? This notion that once you have a family or only people with families living out in the burbs can understand true responsibility. That's condescending. People raise kids just fine in the city.
Yes, I stated that in my post: "Some find refuge in an urban environment, some are driven to the suburbs."

Perhaps if you changed the content of your statement from inner-loop and suburbs to something more topically geographical like Dallas and Houston, then maybe you could better understand how you sound:

"My problem is that whenever I do make the trip out to Dallas I encounter at least one person that shares to me their disgust of Houston. It's usually a very vocal opinionated reactionary group."

Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
The attitude i hate is oops heres a baby better pack off to the suburbs. There is not an intelligent thought or rationale behind that fairly large decision. Unless you live huge, you move to the suburbs to save money. Period .
Exactly! Well said. The part that grinds my gears is when people assert that what they did was the sensible thing to do considering life in the city is not for kids. They act as though raising kids in the city is irresponsible parenting and moving way way out into Fulshear is the next stage to fully maturing as an adult. But people in here act as though I don't understand the notion that people move out there because its cheaper which isn't my point, I understand that. I'm taking about people who can afford a nice place in the city but choose to be out in the burbs, far out sometimes into Ft Bend. It's just a preference and I respect that but I dislike the vocal minority that thinks they did so because it was the sensible thing for any responsible parent to do because the city is not a place for kids. That's what I'm talking about. They can sound so condescending and sometimes elitist and racist when they talk about the city.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:03 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,344 times
So basically you hate it when people out in the burbs talk bad about the city?

Some people just rather live and raise their kids in the burbs. If you want to raise your kids in the city, good for you! No one in here said kids shouldn't be raised in the city. We just listed our reasons for living out in Katy, which is what this thread was originally about.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:59 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
there is a lot on this forum about "oh you have kids? well this is where you want to be suburb, suburb, suburb." even if the person quotes some house price of 700k+ and even if they discuss city living aspects that they want. best youll get for a recommendation close to the city is memorial. a lot of it is racism. a lot. living in the city of houston on the SW side i get hit with it all the time. "do you feel.... safe there?" uh, yeah not a lot of criminals are spending 300k on homes. there is a general disdain of the city of houston from a lot of people - a lot of that rests on perceived race of houston inhabitants, unintelligent thoughts on crime, and politics. of course these ideas are changing as parker has done so much for city living

it's rather insensitive and has left a lasting impression on me for good or bad. now all i need is that poster to come on here and call me a obummer ******* city boy

Old 10-13-2013, 02:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Westbury is a good neighborhood on the Westside... Seems those people would commend you on living in the suburbs.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
there is a lot on this forum about "oh you have kids? well this is where you want to be suburb, suburb, suburb." even if the person quotes some house price of 700k+ and even if they discuss city living aspects that they want. best youll get for a recommendation close to the city is memorial. a lot of it is racism. a lot. living in the city of houston on the SW side i get hit with it all the time. "do you feel.... safe there?" uh, yeah not a lot of criminals are spending 300k on homes. there is a general disdain of the city of houston from a lot of people - a lot of that rests on perceived race of houston inhabitants, unintelligent thoughts on crime, and politics. of course these ideas are changing as parker has done so much for city living

it's rather insensitive and has left a lasting impression on me for good or bad. now all i need is that poster to come on here and call me a obummer ******* city boy
That's pretty much my entire experience with people out in the greater burbs. They like to think if you're not raising them in the boonies than you're being irresponsible and endangering your kids. Even if you're living on your own they sometimes think that's irresponsible because only practically minded down to earth people live in the burb towns. The city is full of illegals, minorities, liberals, and gays according to them.

Its fine if that is your thing to live way out there and get away from urban life, I understand but do not address it in a manner as though its a sensible stage in maturing or that it doesn't have in some small way to do anything with racism or a misconception of urban life.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
there is a lot on this forum about "oh you have kids? well this is where you want to be suburb, suburb, suburb." even if the person quotes some house price of 700k+ and even if they discuss city living aspects that they want. best youll get for a recommendation close to the city is memorial. a lot of it is racism. a lot.
I think you're being overly sensitive. Anyone asking for good public schools ALL THE WAY through and proximity to the energy corridor, galleria or downtown on $700k budget will be given memorial as an option because it ticks the most boxes for most people.

When we were looking closer to the loop and in the loop we were concerned that there was no guarantee of good quality schools all the way through. We found nothing to alleviate that concern then or since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston