Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Given the vast inequities in the way income is distributed, what is really surprising about American society is that there isn't more crime being committed. If we wanted less crime--like actually wanted it--we'd raise the minimum wage to a living wage, institute universal single payer healthcare and cap corporate profits. There you go.
Aarrg! Communist infiltrator!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
I doubt it is people making minimum wage who are committing those crimes. I'm not saying raising the minimum wage is wrong, but I doubt it would improve crime. Serious criminals wouldn't waste their time working for so little.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Given the vast inequities in the way income is distributed, what is really surprising about American society is that there isn't more crime being committed. If we wanted less crime--like actually wanted it--we'd raise the minimum wage to a living wage, institute universal single payer healthcare and cap corporate profits. There you go.
Yep. That minimum wage needs to really be adjusted to inflation.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,238,157 times
Quote:
You're joking, right? This is not at all what I had in mind, especially the part about capping corporate profits. I'm all about 'teaching people to fish' vs. 'giving people fish', except in cases where people aren't able, such as the chronically ill, disabled, and elderly. Most poor people are fully capable if they realized their potential.

Minimum wage should be indexed to inflation, but people should be encouraged and taught to strive for more.

I'm not going to touch healthcare in detail, but I believe it needs to be more efficient, and people with preexisting conditions shouldn't be left to die or wallow in stifling debt for something related to genes they were born with. With that being said , I am a huge advocate of preventative care and education about lifestyle modification to prevent certain diseases from developing.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 PM

175 posts, read 367,456 times
Jerbear30 makes a good point. We have one of the fastest growing maws of income disparity between rich and poor of any developed nation. What do we expect is going to result from this? We may not all agree on the solutions, but it's important to realize that we have a problem, otherwise that problem may come back to bite us all in the asses at some point.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:18 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Decent, hard working people aren't allowed to have nice things or live in crime free areas. We keep moving westward to escape the crime riddled Obama-voter filth, and they keep following us. Now that the Katy area is expanding almost to Brookshire, we get to import their trash too. Might as well move to Columbus or Brenham and get it over with.
So much angst but its all talk. Would you or others in Cinco will decline good offers from an Obama voter when you sell your house? No because youre just full of it.
Is this tea bagging good for resale btw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: