Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilkn View Post
Did you really just compare the entire metropolitan area of Houston, including very far-out suburbs, to the ultra-urban Manhattan and San Francisco? You'd have to restrict yourself to the more exclusive areas of the inner loop for this comparison to make sense, and I think you'll find the numbers aren't so convincing in that case.
Have you ever lived in a nice burb in Philly, NY, Boston or Chicago. Even if you go 30 miles out you are going to pay through the nose. I just saw on the news today that Short Hills, NJ (a suburb), about 25 miles outside of NY is the most affluent zip in the entire nation. You guys simply don't get it. On the northeast corridor, it's the SUBURBS that are expensive. The urban area is actually more affordable in most cases. THIS is why Houston is so cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Have you ever lived in a nice burb in Philly, NY, Boston or Chicago. Even if you go 30 miles out you are going to pay through the nose. I just saw on the news today that Short Hills, NJ (a suburb), about 25 miles outside of NY is the most affluent zip in the entire nation. You guys simply don't get it. On the northeast corridor, it's the SUBURBS that are expensive. The urban area is actually more affordable in most cases. THIS is why Houston is so cheap.
You're right - the suburbs of NYC in northern NJ, Westchester County, NY, Long Island and Fairfield County, CT are the homes of many of the business executives, doctors, lawyers, high level professionals, etc that work in NYC. (Fairfield County, CT is called "The Gold Coast" for a reason).

The suburban areas of Houston (Katy, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, etc) that I researched a bit recently on a possible relocation are very nice, but are still much cheaper than suburbs of NYC and Boston. The median home price in Scarsdale, NY is $1.26 million and nearby Rye, NY is $1.215 million, and I'm guessing that the homes there are smaller & cheaper than what you could get in most areas of Houston & the surrounding areas.

I definitely think Houston is catching up, though.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
I agree, it's really the prices in the "desirable" suburbs that make the big difference. In coastal CA or in the northeast you're talking $400K+ usually - even in middle/outer burbs if they have good school reputations. Here you can get in such places for less than $250K. And that won't be changing that dramatically soon, as long as supply can keep up (it's a little behind right now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston