Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 AM

35 posts, read 32,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
It just seems to positive neighborhood factors have overtaken the importance of positive parental factors. It just seems America has left schools, TV, and now neighborhoods to raise its children. Again, I do believe neighborhoods play an important role in what a child is exposed to. We hear a lot about self-reliance and individuality in this forum, but is there a practice of what is preached? In our many discussions about schools in the Houston forum, I think there was a consensus that parenting starts in the home and not outside of it. Personally, I don't find this passing of primary responsibility selfish, as much as I find it misguided, or even necessary. Granted, we do have an industrious, even workaholic culture, but I'm not talking specifically about parents of the suburbs. As mentioned, these parents work hard to provide for their children, but I think there's an important realization in that the most important thing you can provide children is yourself, your wisdom of years. It's a lot easier to blame something else or let someone else do it; However, this misconception that a well-mannered child is an indefinitely calculable thing has to go. It's a danger, more harmful than busy streets or apartment complexes that is permeating our society. It's more disturbing to believe one's child will turn out like the average neighborhood kid, when in fact it all comes back to parenting.

Heck, this explains a lot for me though, like why my friends at BU had no clue how to cross a busy street.

>>Article I found interesting:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...dont-have-adhd
I graduated from Baylor and yes we do know how to cross the street and our fingers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 AM

35 posts, read 32,003 times
Again my online friends PLEASE LISTEN. HOUSTON IS NOT CHEAP. In all reality ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHERE YOU HAVE A nice place to live and is 99% safe and has all of the upper middle class trimmings is NOT GOING TO BE CHEAP.

IN AMERICA NICE THINGS AND NICE LIVING IS NOT CHEAP NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE. PERIOD

People who are moving to Houston with no skills will struggle just as bad in Houston as anywhere else. People who are struggling dont have a LIFESTYLE problem...THEY HAVE A SKILLS AND CONSEQUENTLY AN INCOME PROBLEM relative to where they live.

OK? OK? Good.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Based on the articles a previous poster posted on another thread about this same subset of upper middle class reactionaries, my suspicions are confirmed. They themselves vocalize their elitism in plain sight and act as though they're holding the keys to America's future. That type of brazen attitude is very very common among that class of right thinking people.

That is the difference Kiovo.
Based on a few articlels, that's all it took to confirmed your suspicions? I have plenty of articles that I read that can confirm all my suspicions to!

If anyone needs to get off their high horse, it's you. Just because you have lived in a couple of other big cities in your short life, read some forums, you're an expert on people now? The middle class/working class is suffering and getting squeezed, but they don't get the assistance from the government like the poor do. But hey, lets put more parks in, and pieces of art around town and that'll solve our problems!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
But hey, lets put more parks in
As from my previous post, Houston has tons of park space.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes we sure do! I've enjoyed several of Houston's parks and think they're great. But some people keep insisting we need more parks, which ironically I doubt they even use the parks we have now

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Maybe because you're being selective. I chose a nice neighborhood. You're choosing a rough area and saying that it can't compare to an upper middle class burb.
I'm comparing what is an average urban view to the view of a specific neighborhood your were criticizing as essentially crappy.

If you want to start pointing to spectacular urban views, I can bust out some spectacular suburban views as well.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
I'm comparing what is an average urban view to the view of a specific neighborhood your were criticizing as essentially crappy.

If you want to start pointing to spectacular urban views, I can bust out some spectacular suburban views as well.
I considered the neighborhood gaudy not crappy. I would compare it to West U or some of the nice burbs in memorial which look way nicer. I think living in a nice condo overlooking Herman Park is nicer. That's what I'm talking about. I understand the term to each his own but there are certain things that I think that go beyond a subjective preference. For instance a neighborhood in the city has more amenities and looks overall better than a gaudy neighborhood out in Fulshear Texas. The neighborhood and homes right across from Rice U look splendid, gorgeous. We are comparing a luxury foreign car to a nice expensive truck.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Based on a few articlels, that's all it took to confirmed your suspicions? I have plenty of articles that I read that can confirm all my suspicions to!

If anyone needs to get off their high horse, it's you. Just because you have lived in a couple of other big cities in your short life, read some forums, you're an expert on people now? The middle class/working class is suffering and getting squeezed, but they don't get the assistance from the government like the poor do. But hey, lets put more parks in, and pieces of art around town and that'll solve our problems!
What is wrong with you? Not only did I grow up around all that but the straight demographics of the tea party and the people who listen to right wing radio tend to be of that class majority wise. Why do you act like I'm just generalizing? You yourself have agreed that is the way you think.

I don't even need to have articles the demographics stats done on the tea party confirm it enough. The listener base of right wing radio and the voting bloc of the GOP confirm that. What are you trying to deny here? That's like trying to deny that African Americans have not overwhelmingly voted democrat for years or that a big chunk of politically active college professors aren't liberal.

I'm not on a high horse, you just can't take criticism.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
My point was develop Houston's public spaces more to look like Discovery green. I never said that Houston lacked public space but that it should develop them more.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:40 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times
Quote:
My point was develop Houston's public spaces more to look like Discovery green. I never said that Houston lacked public space but that it should develop them more.
Takes a lot of money to do that. Discovery green cost over 100million. Though I think the underground parking was part of that high cost. I do agree that amazing parks add a lot to the city. I can't wait to see Buffalo Park done.

I wish they would develop Memorial Park, but they can't because the people who donated the land did not wanted it developed it. It is a bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston