Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM

20 posts, read 207,884 times

Advertisements

To measure how "hard working" someone is by number of hours they work is not reliable.

Whether we're talking about white or blue collar jobs, we should focus on efficiency and the output of the workers. You can work on something for hours, days or weeks, but if you don't actually get anything done, you have only wasted your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
The heat? Big deal, the city doesn't stop because it's too hot outside, but cities up north can get shut down for snow.
Why go to the extremes? Just because someone doesn't like the heat it doesn't automatically means they love being snowed in. There are many places in the US where it's nowhere near as hot as humid as Houston but still doesn't get heavy snow every winter.

The heat is a big deal. Each year we get 6-8 months where we can't even go outside because it's so hot and humid. Fortunately AC is just about everywhere but that just translates into pumping more pollution into our air and high electricity bills.

It's a fact that Houston is hot and humid. It's one thing if someone is whining about it, it's another to point it out as a fact.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weili View Post
Why go to the extremes? Just because someone doesn't like the heat it doesn't automatically means they love being snowed in. There are many places in the US where it's nowhere near as hot as humid as Houston but still doesn't get heavy snow every winter.

The heat is a big deal. Each year we get 6-8 months where we can't even go outside because it's so hot and humid. Fortunately AC is just about everywhere but that just translates into pumping more pollution into our air and high electricity bills.

It's a fact that Houston is hot and humid. It's one thing if someone is whining about it, it's another to point it out as a fact.
But this is NOT a fact. For months on here I have posted actual weather data that disputes this garbage. Before I moved down here people were telling me, oh you will run the AC into Nov and it's 90 in Nov and you'll be sweating starting in Feb. Well I moved here and I wore my coat, sweater and all sorts of layers going deep into April!!!!! This Wednesday temps are going to get into the 30's. No, it is not that hot 6 to 8 months. Tell the TRUTH!!!!! We get about 3 months where I will admit, for "most" people, it's very very hot. We also have about 3 months were it's actually pretty darn cold (lows in the 30's and 40's at night. But we also get about 3 to 4 months of absolutely perfect weather (low 55, high 75) almost every single day with blue skies and no wind. Then in the month or two leading up to the very hot weather we have normal hot which is 80's. Only about 3 months a year is it very hot. The other 9 months if you can't handle that you must have been overly coddled as a child. You are probably the type of person who goes into a panic attack if water from the sky touches your body. And if you want to call me out on my numbers, I will POST FACTUAL weather data going back 20 years to back up my claim. I get so sick of this perpetual myth on this board about temps in 90's 9 to 10 months out of the year. Hell I've been wearing a jacket every day now for the past month since early Oct.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
But this is NOT a fact. For months on here I have posted actual weather data that disputes this garbage. Before I moved down here people were telling me, oh you will run the AC into Nov and it's 90 in Nov and you'll be sweating starting in Feb. Well I moved here and I wore my coat, sweater and all sorts of layers going deep into April!!!!! This Wednesday temps are going to get into the 30's. No, it is not that hot 6 to 8 months. Tell the TRUTH!!!!! We get about 3 months where I will admit, for "most" people, it's very very hot. We also have about 3 months were it's actually pretty darn cold (lows in the 30's and 40's at night. But we also get about 3 to 4 months of absolutely perfect weather (low 55, high 75) almost every single day with blue skies and no wind. Then in the month or two leading up to the very hot weather we have normal hot which is 80's. Only about 3 months a year is it very hot. The other 9 months if you can't handle that you must have been overly coddled as a child. You are probably the type of person who goes into a panic attack if water from the sky touches your body. And if you want to call me out on my numbers, I will POST FACTUAL weather data going back 20 years to back up my claim. I get so sick of this perpetual myth on this board about temps in 90's 9 to 10 months out of the year. Hell I've been wearing a jacket every day now for the past month since early Oct.
OK buddy, calm down before you hurt yourself lol

I'm glad you like Houston's weather. If you really do, you are at least that much happier than majority of Houstonians.

But just because you enjoy sweating it doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,506 times
Quote:

Yes Houston is humid, but again, the city doesn't shut down because it's too humid. When I go to Hawaii and I comment to the locals how I love their 70-80 degree weather year round, they just laugh and say it gets tiresome. For me, perfect weather is S. Cali weather, but I wouldn't move there just for the weather.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
OK buddy, calm down before you hurt yourself lol

I'm glad you like Houston's weather. If you really do, you are at least that much happier than majority of Houstonians.

But just because you enjoy sweating it doesn't mean the rest of us do.
I get annoyed when people say they are stating the facts when in fact they are not. Yeah, I get it, you hate Houston....so move already. I just hate liars. There is plenty of Houston to complain about. I hate the traffic here, absolutely hate it. I wish there was better mass transit. I wish their sports teams were better. I wish Galveston wasn't such a dump being it's the closest beach on the ocean. There are plenty of things to complain about. Just tell the truth.

Here is the actual "data" from intellicast.

You'll notice the weather is darn near perfect 6 months out of the year. These are the FACTS. And yes, before anyone tries to respond with saying "but the humidity", yes it's humid. And that is more of an issue for people then the heat. Allergies are also bad for many. And that is a bigger deal then the heat. Heck, the torrential rains we get sometimes are a bigger issue then the heat, especially if you have to drive in it or have to deal with flooding. I just don't understand why people on here resort to making crap up all the time. It's like you get your rocks off by how much you can lie in a single post.

Monthly Averages & Records - °F | °C

Date Average
Low Average
High Record
Low Record
High Average
Precipitation Average
Snow
January 43° 63° 5° (1930) 84° (1975) 3.38" 0"
February 47° 66° 13° (1933) 91° (1986) 3.32" 0"
March 53° 73° 21° (1943) 96° (1946) 3.41" 0"
April 59° 80° 31° (1987) 95° (1987) 3.31" 0"
May 68° 86° 44° (1978) 99° (1996) 5.09" 0"
June 73° 91° 48° (1947) 104° (2009) 5.93" 0"
July 75° 94° 62° (1990) 105° (1954) 3.79" 0"
August 75° 95° 60° (1992) 107° (2000) 3.76" 0"
September 70° 90° 45° (1942) 109° (2000) 4.12" 0"
October 61° 82° 29° (1993) 97° (1938) 5.7" 0"
November 52° 73° 19° (1976) 89° (1989) 4.34" 0"
December 45° 64° 7° (1989) 85° (1995) 3.74" 0.1"

Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Yes Houston is humid, but again, the city doesn't shut down because it's too humid.
Again, why go to the extreme? Extreme cold isn't better than extreme heat.

Quote:
When I go to Hawaii and I comment to the locals how I love their 70-80 degree weather year round, they just laugh and say it gets tiresome. For me, perfect weather is S. Cali weather, but I wouldn't move there just for the weather.
I personally prefer it to be just slightly cooler than Southern California. I've lived there and you get the occasionally hot days and houses there, unlike in Houston, generally don't have ACs.

With all that said, what weather is considered favorable is very subjective. People have their preferences.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I get annoyed when people say they are stating the facts when in fact they are not. Yeah, I get it, you hate Houston....so move already. I just hate liars. There is plenty of Houston to complain about. I hate the traffic here, absolutely hate it. I wish there was better mass transit. I wish their sports teams were better. I wish Galveston wasn't such a dump being it's the closest beach on the ocean. There are plenty of things to complain about. Just tell the truth.
So I should move because I hate one thing about Houston but you admitted to hating at least 4 things about Houston but you have every right to live here? Great logic.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
So I should move because I hate one thing about Houston but you admitted to hating at least 4 things about Houston but you have every right to live here? Great logic.

No people like you ***** non stop. If you hate it so much then leave. It obviously really bothers you. You made that very clear. The things I hate about Houston, I learn to live with. Take the good with the bad. But at least I tell the TRUTH. Whereas you make crap up. Usually when someone resorts to making crap up, it means it really really bothers them. Bothers them so much that the facts alone are not enough. They have to go beyond the facts to express their discontent. If you want someone to hold the door for you on your way out, I'll be happy to oblige.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
No people like you ***** non stop. If you hate it so much then leave. It obviously really bothers you. You made that very clear. The things I hate about Houston, I learn to live with. Take the good with the bad. But at least I tell the TRUTH. Whereas you make crap up. Usually when someone resorts to making crap up, it means it really really bothers them. Bothers them so much that the facts alone are not enough. They have to go beyond the facts to express their discontent. If you want someone to hold the door for you on your way out, I'll be happy to oblige.
Haha you're hilarious.

Yes, I "made stuff up" because I said Houston is hot and humid. I am part of a secret society that is out to destroy Houston's reputation of having great weather. You got me! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston