Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,353 times

Advertisements

Hello texas,

my name is nicole (sorry to write in caps). I'm from new york. Ive been doing some researching on some states. Texas has been a great state so far as jobs and housing. Living in ny is crazy. Beautiful city unless you are a millionaire, you'll enjoy nyc fully. As a working class woman, its tough. I make $40,000 a year and i have to pay a $1,000 for a small one bedroom. I pay $450 for my daughter school fee (nyc is over crowded). $100 for a babysitter to pick her up for me.

Texas, 2-3 bedroom paying $700-1200 with all the amenities. Free good schooling with after school programs and sports. Nyc doesn't have those extra stuff in schools. Do you know how much money i could save getting more for less.

Where do they have townhouses at? I would love to live in one. Thank you in advance.

Nikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 07:04 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Houston one bedrooms are about 1000 dollars. I don't know where you can find 3 bedrooms for 700-1200. We have a housing shortage here. Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com You can find townhouses all over the city. As for schools. You just have to check out all the schools online to see if they are good. There are good and bad ones in the city and suburbs. I wish I could afford to live in NYC. It is my favorite city. Houston is fun though. Everyone I know loves it here.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
A 2 or 3 bedroom for that budget is going to be very scary. Also, you need to find your job first - and then the townhome. Houston is far larger than you imagine. It's not condensed, like Manhattan.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Also, you need to find your job first
This. Houston employers are not just giving great jobs away. If you don't have a marketable skill, it's a bad idea to move here expecting something to fall in your lap.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
Are you aware that Houston is sadly lacking in public transportation? Living in Houston without a car would be extremely difficult for you and your child, so you'll want to include that in your estimate of how much it actually costs to live here. When you're looking at HAR listings, it will be helpful to have a Google map of the Houston area handy so you can get a better idea of where things are located.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Yea, you have to have a car here. Also, your job will probably pay less here. I really don't think you are going to save any money moving here. It might be the opposite actually.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 AM

Nikki,

This is you from another thread:
well, im from ny and looking for better opportunities. I am paying 1,000 for a one bedroom apartment and i see alot of jobs down there. You cant blame people for moving to a state that has more opportunities for better quality of life living. Dont blame the people, blame forbes magazine and etc for putting texas on the map for people who want to come to texas..

What Forbes and others do not say is that Houston is great for engineers and others with experience in oil and gas - and also in the medical field. If floods of people are moving here without those job skills, they are just going to find themselves in a situation worse than the one they moved from - and without any family/friend support - also without good public transportation. All this in a time when rents are steadily rising.

We aren't trying to be negative - just trying to keep you from making a mistake.

I keep hearing of people with useless degrees, that cannot find a job anywhere. The STEM degrees all work well within Houston - Science, Tech, Medical and Engineering (and associated fields). Can't help but cringe whenever I talk to someone that went into student loan debt to get a degree in 17th Century French Literature. Geography is not going to help.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:42 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
What one saves on housing in Houston is spent on transportation. You cannot go all over town on a $100 a month transit card.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Nikki,

This is you from another thread:
well, im from ny and looking for better opportunities. I am paying 1,000 for a one bedroom apartment and i see alot of jobs down there. You cant blame people for moving to a state that has more opportunities for better quality of life living. Dont blame the people, blame forbes magazine and etc for putting texas on the map for people who want to come to texas..

What Forbes and others do not say is that Houston is great for engineers and others with experience in oil and gas - and also in the medical field. If floods of people are moving here without those job skills, they are just going to find themselves in a situation worse than the one they moved from - and without any family/friend support - also without good public transportation. All this in a time when rents are steadily rising.

We aren't trying to be negative - just trying to keep you from making a mistake.

I keep hearing of people with useless degrees, that cannot find a job anywhere. The STEM degrees all work well within Houston - Science, Tech, Medical and Engineering (and associated fields). Can't help but cringe whenever I talk to someone that went into student loan debt to get a degree in 17th Century French Literature. Geography is not going to help.
Im sorry, but no degree is useless...and what university did you graduate from?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Im sorry, but no degree is useless...and what university did you graduate from?
Make up your mind:
Liberal arts degrees.... and now this??

You need to graduate and get out in the real world before you can make any statements as to the validity of any degree.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 10-21-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston