Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,580,682 times

Advertisements

Who ever plans when are where the road construction is to take place the last 10 yrs so should be fire and sued $1billon. In the South Shepard Montrose area 60% of the streets are having working be done of them. Kirby @ 59 both side of the feeder road a down to one lane same with 59 @ South Shepard Also South Shepard @ Westheimer has road construction this is one of the worst 5 sections in town. If your gonna have road construct at this intersection there should be no road construction for at least 1.5mile away. Having 50% to 70% to the roads under construction in a 1.5 to 2 mile area is just outrageous Houston need better planning on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,796 times
meh. chinatown bellaire blvd has been a 2 way street for almost a year i think

Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,000 times
What construction is blocking upwestheimer at shepard? Inner loop traffic is a whollllle lot better than killing yourself on 288, 290, woodlands parkway, kingwood dr, or that ridiculousness coming off the tollway and onto 288 north. If you happen to have been there earlier today i was the person in the black prius all red in the face and cursing. I hate driving to/from the suburbs. Id accept a job for even less money if i never have to drive out there again. I was on i10 west during lunch earlier this week and wanted to cry.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,242 times
Well at least you all are getting roads rebuilt all over the city. It does seem slow. The Kirby Drive reconstruction took years.

I'd love to see that kind of road rebuilding here in Austin. We rarely see that here, although pretty much the whole road network here needs to be rebuilt.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 PM

157 posts, read 325,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
What construction is blocking upwestheimer at shepard? Inner loop traffic is a whollllle lot better than killing yourself on 288, 290, woodlands parkway, kingwood dr, or that ridiculousness coming off the tollway and onto 288 north. If you happen to have been there earlier today i was the person in the black prius all red in the face and cursing. I hate driving to/from the suburbs. Id accept a job for even less money if i never have to drive out there again. I was on i10 west during lunch earlier this week and wanted to cry.
Mile for mile (per hour), the inner loop is a hell of a lot slower than the freeways, even during the worst of rush hours with heavy rains and floods.

I see what you did there though, shilling your spot and all...

Old 10-24-2013, 11:28 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Quote:
I can't relate to this anymore since I live in a state that allows you to split lanes on a motorcycle. I have sat on I-10 before and did cry.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Who ever plans when are where the road construction is to take place the last 10 yrs so should be fire and sued $1billon.<snip> If your gonna have road construct at this intersection there should be no road construction for at least 1.5mile away. Having 50% to 70% to the roads under construction in a 1.5 to 2 mile area is just outrageous Houston need better planning on this
Your basic complaint does have some premise. Let's take the reconstruction of the SWFwy feeder roads...

They are doing all of them at once. Seems like a ridiculous idea, and I would love to hear from a hwy engineer why this makes sense. If they worked on one section at a time, you could always find a way to exit earlier or later and still make your way where you need. For example, I need to get to Richmond & Buffalo. Feeder at Buffalo exit is under const, so I get off at Kirby or Weslayan and simply work my way over. May cost me an extra 2-4 minutes. But with Kirby and Weslayan feeders also under const, there is no escape, and regardless of exit, you will spend 5-10 minutes (or more) stuck in traffic.

Seems like incredibly poor planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Haggis View Post
Wait, I thought everyone here is saying the inner loop is a utopia free of traffic?
Nope, no one said that. It's just you twisting words for your own pleasure again.

Do you ever actually post constructive comments, or simply pick on other's perceived faults?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,698,192 times
Many times the construction takes much longer because they are also putting in new sewers. That was the case when they redid Kirby. It took years to do it. I never complain about road construction. It is a good thing. I wish we would get more construction in Montrose. It is a high density area with probably the worst roads in Houston. Just drive down a different street. I live very close to Shepherd and Westheimer. It is not a big deal. They badly need to redo lower Westheimer. When they finally do that will be a mess. I had to deal with that Kirby mess for years. I lived in West U about 10 houses off Kirby. It was somewhat of a pain. I just avoided Kirby most of the time.

Also, it is almost a utopia free of traffic. There are just so many alternate routes you can take. I very rarely deal with it.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Honestly, what town are y'all living in?

The traffic ITL the is absolutely horrendous. Ever try to get to a game at St. John's from Bellaire at 5:15 pm? Ever try to get to Kirby and San Felipe from the Galleria at 6pm. Try to get from River Oaks to Rice Village at 5 or 6? Ever try to find a parking spot at the Richmond Costco on Sunday with Lakewood letting out?not to mention trying to around the aras DJ mentions...

Yeah there are backroads all over this town. I can get anywhere, even from the 10/Beltway to downtown in 30 minutes without a freeweay..but the potholes, no left turn lanes,the train, and untimed lights are maddening.

Look, I love the loop, but you can keep the traffic crawl and strut killing streets.

I have to love how some loopers think that its traffic free in there, and that 15 mph is an acceptable speed limit.Must be the "rarified air" you are breathing.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 10-25-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Quote:
. I hate driving to/from the suburbs. Id accept a job for even less money if i never have to drive out there again. I was on i10 west during lunch earlier this week and wanted to cry.
I thought you lived in Westbury...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston