Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
This...I mean really, your 'friend' told you this so it must be true.
No, actually my friend really likes Stratford though they are zoned to Memorial.

The fact is that the last accountability rating that Stratford received was an unimpressive two-star Acceptable rating, two years ago. Stratford has a long history of being compared unfavorably to Memorial (itself only Recognized.). There is a history there that takes a while to change in people's minds.

Which again proves my point, that demographics are the principal driver behind the scores. As gentrification heads west through 77079, the schools scores improve. It isn't necessarily the schools themselves. Make sense?

There are fine schools ALL OVER Houston, but only a handful get hyped as being the 'best'. And unless you are talking about one of the selective schools in HISD, you are generally talking about a certain demographic zoned to a neighborhood school. In which case, how much extra are you willing to pay just for a certain demographic? For many, it's an awful lot, which feeds on itself. It's a shame to see it happening, really, the all or nothing mentality toward the schools. Houston seems more like a third world country in this regard. Or at least on C-D, ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Eastern/western... Either way, it is undeniable that Stratford was until recently considered undesirable (still is, by many.)

My friend told me that in the context of a long-time Frostwood staff member (nurse? librarian?) now being shared with RCE, as if RCE can't afford their own.
To the OP, I would caution against this kind of - heard through a friend of a friend of a nurse -information. I have no dog in this hunt but this sounds so elitist- like Frostwood is the only school that has "money" zoned to it. Go tell that to all those RCE folks north (and now south) of Memorial that are paying $1M plus for their homes. Go tell it to the MDE folks etc. My guess is that the RCE folks are not too concerned with keeping up with the Jones mentality....and frankly what some nurse thinks about them. These comments are comical, ridiculous and insulting. You have no idea what kind of wealth people have...true wealth, not house poor etc. The entire memorial corridor has money in some fashion. People spend it in different ways. But one thing they probably agree on is that they want what is best for their kids...regardless of school.

I would recommend the OP do their research and not listen to what some nurse says that is disgruntled that he/she has to split their time between Frostwood and Rummel Creek. You say it's not like the RCE folks can't afford to pick up a full time nurse...well what about all that wealth zoned to Frostwood picking up that salary so they don't have to share? Seriously?? The nurse should be upset with the FWE PTA. The PTA could afford that if they wanted. Happens all the time. That "argument" goes both ways. Your friends nurse needs to look at it both ways. This is a ridiculous conversation. Let's get some comments from people who actually experience rather than hear info through a game of telephone.

Good luck to the OP...I think they will be happy at most SBISD schools south of the freeway. Splitting hairs in a petty way.

I apologize... but some of these third and fourth hand comments have rubbed me the wrong way. There are good schools throughout Houston in different districts. The suggestion to walk streets is a good one.

So now I am curious (probably will regret) as why your friend prefers Stratford even though zoned to Memorial. I am interested to hear this.

Last edited by Maybe So; 12-30-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 10,497 times
May I ask what about townhouses in those areas? 77024, 77079, 77055.
What's the price range?
Thank you!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 PM

60 posts, read 286,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismom View Post
Looks like I need to look at 77584 or 77479 for school choices + decent homes
Not necessarily. As mentioned before, look at Spring Valley just north if I-10 (still considered one of the Memorial "Villages"). You can still find some larger ranch style homes under $700k there, but not for long. It is a hot area with builders putting up $1M+ homes. SV is zoned to Valley Oaks elem (being rebuilt now and a good school) and Memorial HS. Middle is Spring Branch - don't know much about it but it seems all middle schools are a no-man's land anyway. To the north of SV is Monarch Oaks and just to the east of SV is Hilshire Village - all good areas.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demog View Post
Nothing compared to Sugarland.

Yeah but for the ones who want their kids in "Spring Branch" but can't afford the houses they stick to the townhomes and Somerset Place is exhibit A. Be near it around 3:45 and watch the bus unload. Like 30 kids, all Asian hopping off the bus.

Asians in SL can afford a house. Not say they or anyone else can't in Spring Branch but looking at Somerset there's a LOT that can't if the amount of kids is to go by. There's another place right before Town and Country on the right like literally right across and a little over from Somerset where a good number of kids get off. Again, mostly Asian kids.

They look crummy as hell on the outside. On HAR they look ok on the inside but still dated.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
That whole area (77024 & 77079) seems way overpriced for what it is. If you bought 2-4 years ago, you invested very well. Unless you work in the EC and need a short commute and have money to burn, I really don't get the hype. It's probably dual-income EC families and EC exec families outbidding each other over the limited inventory. I wouldn't touch that area at its current price levels unless I were so rich, that I could afford a $700k property to decline by 20% and not feel a thing - which is different than just being able to afford a $700k property.

I can get a much nicer house for much less in Sugar Land with comparable commutes from 77079 to many areas of the city, such as Galleria/Med Center, but of course, EC commutes are much better from 77079.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
That whole area (77024 & 77079) seems way overpriced for what it is. If you bought 2-4 years ago, you invested very well. Unless you work in the EC and need a short commute and have money to burn, I really don't get the hype. It's probably dual-income EC families and EC exec families outbidding each other over the limited inventory. I wouldn't touch that area at its current price levels unless I were so rich, that I could afford a $700k property to decline by 20% and not feel a thing - which is different than just being able to afford a $700k property.

I can get a much nicer house for much less in Sugar Land with comparable commutes from 77079 to many areas of the city, such as Galleria/Med Center, but of course, EC commutes are much better from 77079.
As they say, location, location, location. These zip codes offer short commutes for the huge EC submarket, along with highly-ranked schools, mature trees, large lots (compared with comparably-priced inner-loop neighborhoods), and (for 77079 at least) Terry Hershey Park. I agree that if you work downtown you're probably better off living closer in if you want a shorter commute, or in Katy/SL if you want the best house for your money - but a LOT of people work in the EC and Westchase area and these zip codes are a great option for us.

IMO eastern 77079 has appreciated so quickly because ~4 years ago it appeared cheap relative to 77024 while offering similar housing stock and an even shorter EC commute. Now that eastern 77079 has appreciated so much, western 77079 (zoned to KISD), 77077 and 77042 appear relatively cheap and are enjoying "spillover" appreciation. Will be interesting to see what prices do over time...more so than any other part of Houston, these zip codes' fortunes are tied to those of the oil industry.

To the OP - if you're not impressed with options for $700k in these areas, note that the original housing stock gets larger and newer the further west you go.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
To the OP, I would caution against this kind of - heard through a friend of a friend of a nurse -information. I have no dog in this hunt but this sounds so elitist- like Frostwood is the only school that has "money" zoned to it. Go tell that to all those RCE folks north (and now south) of Memorial that are paying $1M plus for their homes. Go tell it to the MDE folks etc. My guess is that the RCE folks are not too concerned with keeping up with the Jones mentality....and frankly what some nurse thinks about them. These comments are comical, ridiculous and insulting. You have no idea what kind of wealth people have...true wealth, not house poor etc. The entire memorial corridor has money in some fashion. People spend it in different ways. But one thing they probably agree on is that they want what is best for their kids...regardless of school.

I would recommend the OP do their research and not listen to what some nurse says that is disgruntled that he/she has to split their time between Frostwood and Rummel Creek. You say it's not like the RCE folks can't afford to pick up a full time nurse...well what about all that wealth zoned to Frostwood picking up that salary so they don't have to share? Seriously?? The nurse should be upset with the FWE PTA. The PTA could afford that if they wanted. Happens all the time. That "argument" goes both ways. Your friends nurse needs to look at it both ways. This is a ridiculous conversation. Let's get some comments from people who actually experience rather than hear info through a game of telephone.

Good luck to the OP...I think they will be happy at most SBISD schools south of the freeway. Splitting hairs in a petty way.

I apologize... but some of these third and fourth hand comments have rubbed me the wrong way. There are good schools throughout Houston in different districts. The suggestion to walk streets is a good one.

So now I am curious (probably will regret) as why your friend prefers Stratford even though zoned to Memorial. I am interested to hear this.
My 'friend' is one of my closest friends, whose child is my child's oldest and closest friend, whose children attend Frostwood and are quite content there. I chuckle because they are far from elitist and she only told me the story about the Frostwood/RCE staffer (not someone either of us know) as it struck HER as elitist, in the way it was announced at a PTA meeting. Yes, there is a great deal of wealth there, MORE wealth in fact than at my (previously her) private school. When they decided to leave our private school, I myself pointed her toward the Memorial schools as they were dedicated inner-loopers. But that was several years ago and as Htown2013 and others point out, I now think the area is far overpriced for what you get. (Clearly many disagree.) The schools are fine, but they simply reflect demographics. You yourself prove the point, why else would you go on about wealth in Memorial and then caution against the Spring Branch schools north of I-10? Those schools are the same district and represent a much better value now, though it is getting pricey fast - it is already getting difficult to find something under 700K but it can be done. If the OP's work location is in town, 77055 makes lots more sense than 77079, but if the location is far west EC then by all means look out there. I still think the selective HISD schools are better academically and have a more realistic demographic, but again if work location is far west then it doesn't make much sense, plus there is the stress of getting into one.

My friend has an artsy kid, by the way, and she finds Stratford's performing arts program appealing.

Best.

Last edited by fnh; 12-31-2013 at 03:51 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 AM

264 posts, read 442,075 times
[quote=Htown2013;32809456]That whole area (77024 & 77079) seems way overpriced for what it is. If you bought 2-4 years ago, you invested very well. Unless you work in the EC and need a short commute and have money to burn, I really don't get the hype.

This. I agree 100%. Location wise, this is where I thought would work best for us empty nesters to relocate. I'm glad we are taking our time looking because every time we go look, we simply don't get it. Like Htown said, we should have done this 4 years ago.

In any event, back to the OP...you can try looking at the neighborhood Thornwood. It's in 77079 and you won't go broke. Look closely at the schools because part of the neighborhood is zoned to KISD and part to SBISD. Be prepared for a lot of updating in any home in 024 or 079.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
This city is simply running out of room, and areas may appear over priced, but it's just the reality these days. The traditionally, safer desirable areas can't supply the demand. Which is really good for spill over areas. I personally hope it stays the course. The city has plenty of great neighborhoods,that are closer in, that really have needed this upturn for decades.

I was lucky to buy before the insanity, but had a feeling it was coming through research. I'm shocked and the stuff that comes on the market for what I paid before the boom. And in that price range today I'd probably take a pass and head to 77080 for my EC and Galleria locational needs. The schools are not good at all, but they will change. But even a good portion of 77079 uses private. The whole situation is good for Houston, which in general is underpriced for such a big city.

Personally I find West U overpriced. 25 years ago you had chain link fences and chickens running around some of those 5000 sf lots with little wooden houses. Now it's just a Garden Home community, with pee patch yards, where everyone parks on the streets, turning them into single lane access mazes. But I've never had to try to get to the Med. Center, nor Downtown,during rush hour on a daily basis. That area might be bliss to me if I did.

As for the sharing of staff....Did you know that Frostwood is in mobile buildings at Westchester High School right now? They have been for over a year.They don't have a library this year. perhaps they are sharing the librarian and library so someone can keep a job. BTW I'm pretty sure a librarian and a nurse would be paid paid by the district, not the school. Either way, Rummel Creek has been Exemplary for decades on the public school scale. We've never used the public schools, but their success does determine the success of an area for the most part. And The Wilchester neighborhoods have been very solid since their construction in the 60s.

Ironically,Frostwood and Rummel Creek share roughly similar housing stock and pricing west of Gessner, where majority of Frostwood's students live. So I guess both schools are "poorer relations" to Bunker Hill Elementary.
" Lol and ha ha." Good grief.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-31-2013 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Correction on zoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston