Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM

49 posts, read 85,862 times

Advertisements

For a parent the difference between Wilchester Elementary and Nottingham Elementary is huge , both have 77079 zip codes. I would rather send my kids to Wilchester if I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I give up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,792,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismom View Post
yes I have time. I thought housing market goes crazy late spring and summer with people trying to find a place before school starts?
This works both ways in single-family homes neighborhoods...sellers know that most buyers with kids will be looking to move over the summer, so unless they're in a hurry to sell they'll hold on to their home through the fall and winter (especially if they have to move their own kids out of the house). Thus, both demand and supply are lower in the fall and winter.

Not sure how long the homes that you've posted have been on the market, but they may be "leftovers" from the summer that haven't sold yet because of their prices and the issues that others have identified.

Find a realtor who's experienced in the area and will check for new listings daily, maybe clue you in on homes about to hit the market, etc. You may find a few motivated sellers listing homes in the next few months that will meet their needs. When you find one, be ready to move fast! Come spring, desirable homes will hit the market and have a dozen offers by the end of the day, so speed will be essential.

We bought our house in the "poor" side of 77079 early last year, during the supposed slow season. Saw the house the day it hit the market and made an offer the next day. If we had waited one more day I'm pretty sure we would've missed out on it.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
For a parent the difference between Wilchester Elementary and Nottingham Elementary is huge , both have 77079 zip codes. I would rather send my kids to Wilchester if I can
The huge difference being what? Curious.

Based on HAR, the visible difference under schools is 1 being reflective of Houston with a while the other has 4 lonely black kids, 55 Hispanic kids, 1 very very lonely Native America child, 80 Asians and 500+ white kids.

That's a huge difference but other than that glaring one what is it? Or is that it?

Other than that what's the difference?

One does have more diversity but true that diversity is pretty much equal to the percentage of economically disadvantaged students.

I think most get it backwards at least how I see it. Diversity is better when younger. Sending them to the looks like America 20/20/20/20/20 elementary. They're less likely to be snobs when they get older. More humility during the tough years - middle-high school when they're personalities start to shape based on they're surroundings i.e. friends at school. You mold to your friends but you remember your friend from elementary...poor people, folks that look different are good, real friends too. They'll have the "Can roll/fit in with whatever crowd or situation" when they're in high school. They're more real that way.

Half joking half I kind of dig that theory of mine.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Stopping back in to rectify a wrong - my friend at Frostwood says that she does not think any less of RCE, nor does she know anyone who does or who implies as much. My own misinterpretation or misremembrance.

I can't rep you again, DejaBlue, for the post above. Hopefully the kids at least will learn some higher order critical thinking skills.

OP, why don't you just buy a town home in 77024 if that's the zip your heart is set on?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Stopping back in to rectify a wrong - my friend at Frostwood says that she does not think any less of RCE, nor does she know anyone who does or who implies as much. My own misinterpretation or misremembrance.

I can't rep you again, DejaBlue, for the post above. Hopefully the kids at least will learn some higher order critical thinking skills.

OP, why don't you just buy a town home in 77024 if that's the zip your heart is set on?

Young kids playing is really a great thing to watch. Not creepy but just observant. They just play with friends, people they enjoy. They don't notice that their buddy is getting in mom's Honda CRV while their mommy is picking them up in the Esclade. That's their friend of a different SES, religion and color and life is grand.

They play with everyone. The little girl playing by herself because she's wearing 10 years old hand-me-downs and didn't get breakfast. You get cute little dialogue "you can have my cookie" and "I like that scarf around your head, the color is pretty. Your mommy wears pretty scarfs on her head too"

It's adorable.

It's easier to teach them that everyone is a person regardless of income and what not as a child rather than older. Some old dogs can learn new tricks but it's tough and it's fake. It's real when their younger and they always have it.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:20 PM

155 posts, read 267,676 times
Look at 77042 zip also . It is right south of 77024 but you will have lot of $$ to send your kids private

Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 PM

156 posts, read 610,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Based on HAR, the visible difference under schools is 1 being reflective of Houston with a while the other has 4 lonely black kids, 55 Hispanic kids, 1 very very lonely Native America child, 80 Asians and 500+ white kids.

That's a huge difference but other than that glaring one what is it? Or is that it?

Yeh, that's pretty much it.

As much as some people like to tender-foot around the subject, generally, birds of a feather like to flock together. Personally, I don't want a 25/25/25/25% diverse school. I want some minor diversity, but what I really want are people in the same socio-economic strata as me as I believe our family values, parental involvement, etc. tend to be more similar. If that's a bunch of white folk, great. If that's a mixed bag, great. I really think all of this clamoring over the need for diversity is over-rated in my book...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston