Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Yeah the guy who said Houston was a backwoods Bubba town came here in 04 LOL. Same guy who feels he can tell people to move if they still want that
Yes you're right.

Also the same guy who was born in Houston and left when he was a todler. The same guy who's parents and the rest of his family are also from Houston. The same guy who spent enough time in Houston during his childhood years to know enough about it. So yes, that guy knows what he's talking about. THANK YOU

Old 01-18-2014, 11:45 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post

The speed limit is 70, and it is normal for people to drive 15 to 20 miles OVER the limit.
Highway Patrol don't even stop anyone for it, coz absolutely EVERYONE drives over 80.
They only stop you if you're REALLY speeding (over 90).
That's pretty common in Houston. I take it you've never driven the Katy Freeway?

I've been to California and don't remember the drivers being that fast, honestly. The fastest drivers I've ever experienced have been from Houston, Atlanta, and Louisiana.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I'm a native Houstonian and its never been what I would call a backward Bubba city in my lifetime - other than in certain areas - and you can pretty much find that in any city you just may call it something other than backward bubba in a different city. I guess a lot of perception depends upon what areas you called home and what you were exposed to as a child.

Last edited by texas7; 01-18-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 AM

433 posts, read 660,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Yes you're right.

Also the same guy who was born in Houston and left when he was a todler. The same guy who's parents and the rest of his family are also from Houston. The same guy who spent enough time in Houston during his childhood years to know enough about it. So yes, that guy knows what he's talking about. THANK YOU
That's cool that you explored the city as a child snd was able to see the bubba town

Old 01-18-2014, 11:57 AM

433 posts, read 660,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's pretty common in Houston. I take it you've never driven the Katy Freeway?

I've been to California and don't remember the drivers being that fast, honestly. The fastest drivers I've ever experienced have been from Houston, Atlanta, and Louisiana.
Yeah I didn't reply but thought it wad funny that he said California is soooo much faster than Texas cities. Have been to LA and the only thing that's faster is the BS that comes from their mouths haha. The freeways were so bad that you cpuldnt go 60, much less 80. You can haul ass in Houston still!!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
Houston has certainly changed a lot since I was a kid, mostly for the better, in my opinion. If you read further, I'll bore you with some fond memories of what has changed.

Growing up on the west side (Spring Branch and Memorial) in the 50s-60s, we went to either downtown or Gulfgate to shop. We were excited when Sharpstown opened, but it was hard to get to. Fondren and Gessner did not extend all the way there from US 90 (now I 10), so we had to drive east to Hillcroft.

To buy eggs, we drove to a house near US 90 and Echo Lane (across from Memorial High School) and tooted the car horn to call the lady of the house. To have clothes pressed, we went to the house of "an ironing lady" on Westview in Spring Branch.

The Salt Grass Trail riders actually camped out in Memorial Park the day before going downtown to the Houston Rodeo at Sam Houston Coliseum.

At that time, a few houses and barns built by the original German settlers in west Houston were still standing. All that's left now are a few streets named after German families.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Quote:
You can haul ass in Houston still!!
I'd like to suggest that you rethink hauling ass in Houston!

[Mod cut: pix is off topic]

http://thehoustonexperience.com/wp-c...3/06/traff.jpg

http://ronetheboxhouston.files.wordp...D468%26h%3D333

http://philosophermouseofthehedge.fi...media-org1.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 01-18-2014 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted

Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Yeah I didn't reply but thought it wad funny that he said California is soooo much faster than Texas cities. Have been to LA and the only thing that's faster is the BS that comes from their mouths haha. The freeways were so bad that you cpuldnt go 60, much less 80. You can haul ass in Houston still!!
I'm sure our dumb speed limits have something to do with that

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eed_limits.svg

Last edited by elnina; 01-18-2014 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: added source

Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I've driven in SoCal and Houston in the last month or so. I'd like to think that gives me a current perspective, but despite that, I'm not sure what to say. On one hand, I'd say that we both have drivers who go fast and switch lanes a lot because they are frustrated by traffic. Drivers on "the 405" in LA do have to deal with more of that than people in Houston, I think. They seem to have routine slowdowns that don't depend so much on whether it is rush hour.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I'd like to suggest that you rethink hauling ass in Houston!

That's during rush hour. Houstonians are aggressive drivers. Angelenos are just careless, naive and reckless. They're dumb horrible drivers. Houstonians know how to drive they just can't stand going the limit, they feel the need to race down the freeway going 90 in their massive truck and will tailgate you if you're going just ten above the limit. Houston freeways are like a death race, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston