Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,031 times

Advertisements

I've heard The Fresh Market referred to as a supersized version of NYC's Dean & Deluca, a gourmet deli and food store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM

785 posts, read 1,235,305 times
They both have their good points I guess. I think Whole Foods is a little bit cheaper (not that it can really be considered cheap by any means) but Fresh Market has the better prepared foods section and bakery. Whole Foods has better packaged chocolate while Fresh Market has better imported candy and chocolate bars. Those are some of the differences I've noticed.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Fresh Market's management is either incredibly gutsy or incredibly foolhardy. They opened 2 stores inside the loop (and 2 outside) in July and August 2013. Whole Foods has been in Houston 30 years, and it's only got 3 stores inside the loop.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Fresh Market is a different theory over all than Whole Foods.

I haven't been to a Whole Foods in over 5 years. Now Fresh Market I go a few times a month. Location and gourmet,clean eating, pre-made meals have a lot to do with it.

Central market is better than both in many ways.they really need a second one, just outside the loop.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM

264 posts, read 442,186 times
Is the Memorial Dr. location in the old Rice Epicurean? I look forward to visiting!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
Is the Memorial Dr. location in the old Rice Epicurean? I look forward to visiting!
From the Rice Epicurean website:
Quote:
Today we are announcing that Rice Epicurean Markets has entered into agreements to lease our locations at Holcombe, Weslayan, Tanglewood, and Memorial to The Fresh Market, Inc., a high-growth specialty food retailer from North Carolina. All Rice Epicurean Market stores will continue to operate through the end of the year. We will begin to close the four stores that are part of this transaction during the first quarter of 2013, and The Fresh Market plans to open in the latter part of 2013.

The Rice Epicurean Markets location on Fountain View at Inwood is not part of this transaction, and we will continue to operate this store and offer customers our home delivery service, curbside pickup, Epicurean Catering & The Epicurean Cooking School from that store as well.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times
HEB.... it is a ton cheaper

Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,133 times
Look at employment practices. Whole Foods has been given awards for being the best place to work for 16 years straight. They treat their employees very well, offer full benefits and paid leave. That's why I would choose Whole Foods over other places.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Look at employment practices. Whole Foods has been given awards for being the best place to work for 16 years straight. They treat their employees very well, offer full benefits and paid leave. That's why I would choose Whole Foods over other places.
Full disclosure: I'm a meat eater. I know it's a hypocritical statement but I do want to know that the animals that we eat were treated humanely and had a good life until their last day. I have a friend that works at Whole Foods and he said that they can track where their meat comes from down to the farm. That's why I buy my meat from Whole Foods.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,476 times
Fresh Market took over the Rice Epicurian near my office, and I've been inside several times. The ambiance is very nice and the prepared foods do look very good, though I haven't tried any of them yet. I did notice that the prices were rather high.

I also wonder whether that Fresh Market location will survive after Whole Foods opens across the street at Blvd Place. I expect that the relative quality and variety of prepared foods at the two places will determine which gets most of my business.

I like Central Market, but I don't like fighting the crowd at the sole CM location in Houston. Consequently, I was in the habit of going to the other Rice across from it. I find it really strange that Houston has only one CM, while DFW has, like, 5? I guess they either thought Houston "wasn't worthy" or perhaps they changed their strategy toward one of offering more upscale HEBs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston