Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM

13 posts, read 19,505 times

Advertisements

Looking to moving down to the general Houston area in April 2014. just looking for some information about the Kingwood area and if its a "good" fit for us.
So first let me say I have checked out other threads, and I have seen nothing but great talk about Kingwood! We have lived and traveled a lot of different places in the states...currently in NW Chicago and I cant handle the weather so I gotta go asap. :-)

A little about us:
1.We are a (mid 30's) Caucasian family of six. Children are 14,9,6 & 4.
2.We are pretty open minded. To each their own, yada, yada. Don't judge, Don't care about your personal lifestyle. Can pretty much get along with anyone. Down to earth. prefer a community that isn't cookie cutter people. (sorry cookie cutter people, no offense)
3. foodies! would like to easily meet people with the same interests...(I love to throw down in the kitchen)
;-)
4. We don't want to be far from the action, but we want to be in a good school system, in an area that feels and acts like a neighborhood! Trees and such...
5. We like to be active. Parks, ride bikes, etc.
6. blah blah blah. does this sound like everyone else's list??
7. looking on trulia for house rentals.

I'm a stay at home mom that bakes using the cottage law.
My husband works in several different states, so employment is not an issue.
However, because of his job, most of the time it will be just the kids & I at the house. Obviously we want to be in a safe area.

if I left anything out please feel free to let me know, all opinions are appreciated! (please don't beat me up city dataians)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 01:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Budget?

Go on to www.har.com and look. Ignore trulia - although it gleans its info from HAR, it doesn't update. HAR updates nightly.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:37 PM

Noted. Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 PM

ooops. :-)
Budget is $1800/1900 rent monthly.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Honestly, no it does not sound at all like what you described. Then again with that many kids and your budget you will need a fair sized house not is not priced too high. I think Sugar Land would be a little closer, but more expensive. Honestly, what you describe does not sound like any Houston suburb.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Kingwood ticks most of the boxes except the "far from the action" one as Kingwood is a suburb that is 30 miles from the city and there isn't much action its very quiet laid back place. Although Houston is known for its many excellent restaurants there are about 20 non-fast food places to eat in Kingwood and that's that. Might be more coming if they build that Town Center in the front. Also you can drive to Humble and Atascocita for more options. Your rental budget will get you something decent sized but older in Kingwood. 77339 is the zip code for the front half of Kingwood which has a shorter commute and less expensive houses but the schools are considered not as good as in the back, zip code 77346, but when I say not as good we are talking difference between an A and an A+. Be careful as a few of the neighborhoods in 77339 are zoned to Porter Schools, New Caney ISD which are not as good. The har listings should show school district you want Humble ISD. Kings Manor and Kings Mill are two of the neighborhoods zoned to New Caney. If possible its better to be on Kingwood Dr. then on Northpark Dr. (the two streets that run all the way through Kingwood). Some areas south of Kingwood Dr. suffer from flooding so be aware of that, its best to use a realtor local to the area. DM me if you want a name.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Honestly, no it does not sound at all like what you described. Then again with that many kids and your budget you will need a fair sized house not is not priced too high. I think Sugar Land would be a little closer, but more expensive. Honestly, what you describe does not sound like any Houston suburb.
Sounds pretty suburby to me. Except far from the action. To get to the action you have to pay $$$ and with your family that's rental quality up to double your budget.

OP what are you wanting in a house? I would assume given the ages that you guys just might have one more kid soon so I'd think you want something pretty large house wise.4+ bedrooms yes?

There's not a whole lot on the market right now in your budget there. More will come after March because people will be hoping to sell rent by the end of May but prices will be high rental and buying because Houston is ridiculously crazy hot right now.

Why Kingwood though? Of all the suburbs Kingwood/Humble is kind of alone in it's own pocket.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:48 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,141,460 times
If your husband works in several states and it gone a lot - I'm assuming you want by the airport? Hence Kingwood?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Her husband travels so might have picked Kingwood since it's so close to IAH .

Old 01-25-2014, 02:57 PM

chris_ut & DejaBlue thanks for taking the time out..

um no..no more kids for us :-) lol.

As far as a house goes, not looking for something huge to be honest. Been there, Done that. 4 bedrooms/2 baths is what we have now & works great. Doesn't have to be a huge home just mid sized.
I do like a nicely laid out kitchen. Just sold our place in Arkansas couple months back, and was originally supposed to head to Texas, but I decided to go with the husband since he was going to be working here for at least a year...but I'm done with this weather..no thank you!!

Generally, I'm looking for opinions on any area close-ish to Houston. 30 minutes is okay just not much farther from some kind of larger city with warmer weather.
Maybe I should look in other area's of Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston