Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
are you guys still arguing about bland-o pasta, boiled/fried/breaded dishes? you can microwave those now or bring your own seasoning to the chain restaurants. it does sound like youre still eating the same food available to the teenagers in the burbs, you're just stuck with the same one person now (if any).

So what kind of bland-O pasta can you get in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So what kind of bland-O pasta can you get in NYC?
from little Italy? i dunno, i go for other italian stuff. I believe its the proving ground for american-italian culinary arts so it has to be good for pasta lovers. many times in a year they close the 'town' from vehicle traffic because the kitchen activity extends to the streets - that ambiance really adds to the whole experience. maybe someday montrose or some little corner in houston will have the same funny little town where chefs comically wave bread sticks at the competing restaurant's frontmen/chefs for taking in their 'potential' customers(tourists). the 'mob' and expensive italian cars adds a little bit to the that effect too. pasta isn't as boring there.

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 12-12-2007 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Intimated by people I don't know? Not hardly, this was a very large party but I know them all. Comments were by more than one - make it several. Here are only a few.

"Montrose - my God, what were you thinking?" "Montrose? The only thing I know about that area is ... isn't it gay?" "I'm sure it will be nice .... but Montrose?" "I can't believe you scheduled something for us in this area, were you not familiar with the area?" My original intent was to say that there are good to excellent restaurants all over town and people who enjoy dining out do themselves a disservice by not visiting other areas of town.

Out of an earlier list on Clear Lake restaurants the only one I am not too keen on is Mom Alone - it is owned by the Mamacitas people and tastes identical. Barcena's is good. Haven't tried Luna.

Liked Cork. Good place to try out new wines without having to buy an entire bottle. However, found a wine I loved there at $51 a bottle and found it at Spec's for $24.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Typical. The burbanites just don't get it, where there are gays there is good food, antiques and style.BTW, I think characterizing Montrose as "gay" anymore
is very 90's.
Dining is supposed to be an adventure, not predictable.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Montrose is still 'gay' nowadays but really, who cares? It's good to adventure sometimes.

Texas7 - didn't know Mom Alone was bought out. We had a family party in that backroom there not long ago. But I like just about ANY Tex-Mex. And Luna's is way down FM 528 in Friendswood, a bit past FM 518.

We explored again and just came back from Abe's cafe. Pretty decent Cajun sandwich & salad type place. Dine in or carry out. Good alternative to Subway and a little more expensive. $6-8 will be good for one person. We'll go back again. Apparently there is one in Lake Charles, but all their packaged food for sale said "Clear Lake City Blvd" on it.

Here's a list I just found that shows Clear Lake "suburban" dining options are not simply just chain after chain:

http://www.clearlakedining.com/alpha.htm

Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Typical. The burbanites just don't get it, where there are gays there is good food, antiques and style.BTW, I think characterizing Montrose as "gay" anymore
is very 90's.
Dining is supposed to be an adventure, not predictable.
Moderator cut: personal comments ... off topic

How dare you rank all people who live outside the loop in one category. It reeks of prejudice.

Last edited by Hoosier; 12-16-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 PM

^ ^ He doesn't mean it like that.

If he really does, he didn't read any of my posts or websites I linked here.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:56 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned How dare you rank all people who live outside the loop in one category. It reeks of prejudice.
typical inner city repainted ghetto dweller. their book collection is mostly about biographies of famous people, that way they can proudly quote their words in one of their social gossip sessions. they dont have sex anymore because the SO is just the reading/dump diving buddy now. they dont try out restaurants until they read the reviews of some columnist; then they quote the reviews to impress other folks. their 'antiques' are just old junk they got from the neighbor that just died, who painted the junk french-country style.

Last edited by Hoosier; 12-16-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
typical inner city repainted ghetto dweller. their book collection is mostly about biographies of famous people, that way they can proudly quote their words in one of their social gossip sessions. they dont have sex anymore because the SO is just the reading/dump diving buddy now. they dont try out restaurants until they read the reviews of some columnist; then they quote the reviews to impress other folks. their 'antiques' are just old junk they got from the neighbor that just died, who painted the junk french-country style.

HAHAHA. You forgot one thing.

Blogspot.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned How dare you rank all people who live outside the loop in one category. It reeks of prejudice.
I don't believe the intent was to rank - so there really is no "how dare you" here. It was to let people know that there are good restaurants all over town and not just in everyone's own little corner.

Last edited by Hoosier; 12-16-2007 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston