Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I hate to say it but the OP sounds like a northeastern yuppie A type who wants to move to Houston which a loud brash unpretentious city that is the antithesis of cities on the coasts. I'm really getting sick of the Northeast transplants here in LA and am planning my escape back to Texas. I just sure as hell hope that Houston or Austin hadn't been taken over by the yuppies and transformed into a place full of super competitive socially awkward A type introverts.

Sorry to rag on you like that OP but I just don't want to come back to my home state to see it turn into the rest of the country. I'm sick of living in these "wordly " cities (I'm not talking about diversity) where the cream of the crop converge to (NYC, SF, LA, DC) .
What are you talking about? I am not a pretentious yuppie AT ALL. I despise that and want to get away from that. There's tons of that up here in the greater NYC region. I'm a laid back, introverted Type B person who is perfectly happy earning a middle class salary and driving a basic car and wearing basic clothes. I am down to earth, reserved and non-judgmental.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 AM

391 posts, read 424,901 times
It's really not possible to classify Houston as any kind of "way". It's the fourth largest city in the Country and one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse. It's every "way" possible. It's like a hundred smaller cities mixed and mashed and spread out over a huge, sprawling mass.

The discussion in this forum centers disproportionately around the inner loop and energy corridor areas. Which is understandable because those are the young, hip, affluent areas where professionals live and work and that appeal to people savvy enough to do internet research. It is not possible to buy a home in those areas for the budget you mentioned. There are some very nice suburbs within commuting distance of those areas but even those are being pushed up toward 200k+ for a decent small home.

The first question you need to answer is where you will be working. Don't make any decisions at all on where you want to live until to you know, for sure, where you will be driving every day. That's the detail that everything else hinges on. Otherwise you can easily end up with a 1.5-2 hour drive to and from work. The advice given out here is usually tailored to the young, educated professional working downtown in energy, law, finance, govt, etc. If that isn't you, then your "Houston" is not the same one people talk about here.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM

129 posts, read 171,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It was Reaganomics that sent us on a path to extreme income inequality that we are suffering from today, which causes many societal problems. If I do move to TX, I will proudly and patriotically vote 100% Democrat 100% of the time. and that we should raise taxes on the wealthy to invest in the middle class .... Like 41% of Texans, I voted for Barack Obama and don't regret it.

This is all very discouraging. Why would I want to escape one expensive area only to move into another expensive area with LOWER pay, too?!
I cant help myself.
Im compelled to point out the irony in a discussion about discouraging inflated housing costs while supporting the president who continues to give the largest multi trillion dollar bailout in history to the wealthy corporate elite, all in the name of keeping housing prices inflated and protecting the gambling losses of "the smartest guys in the room"; while denouncing reganomics somewhere in between.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I am not a pretentious yuppie AT ALL. I despise that and want to get away from that. There's tons of that up here in the greater NYC region. I'm a laid back, introverted Type B person who is perfectly happy earning a middle class salary and driving a basic car and wearing basic clothes. I am down to earth, reserved and non-judgmental.
My apologies then. It's just I moved out of Texas to get a new slice on life first to Boston then NYC and lastly LA. In my opinion these "world class" cities are full of the most insufferable people at the top when trying to climb the young professional ladder. I'm as liberal as they come probably as much a liberal as you are, maybe more, but I just cannot stand a lot of coastal liberals and their hypocritical attitude. There is such a disconnect in their views about helping people politically and their attitude toward people.

Anyways, I grew up in Texas and love the people there. Sure you have to deal with some of the rabid right wing types but those folk will still give you the shirt off their back. There is just a humbling kinda life there I appreciate, even in the major metro areas. I think you'd love that about Houston.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
My apologies then. It's just I moved out of Texas to get a new slice on life first to Boston then NYC and lastly LA. In my opinion these "world class" cities are full of the most insufferable people at the top when trying to climb the young professional ladder. I'm as liberal as they come probably as much a liberal as you are, maybe more, but I just cannot stand a lot of coastal liberals and their hypocritical attitude. There is such a disconnect in their views about helping people politically and their attitude toward people.

Anyways, I grew up in Texas and love the people there. Sure you have to deal with some of the rabid right wing types but those folk will still give you the shirt off their back. There is just a humbling kinda life there I appreciate, even in the major metro areas. I think you'd love that about Houston.
Well, I certainly would NOT want to live in any of the cities along the BosWash corridor (Boston, NYC, Philly, DC), nor any of the cities on the west coast such as LA, SF, SD, Portland, Seattle, and not even south FL or Chicago. I would prefer to live in a place that does NOT have an elitist mentality. Yes, I'm a liberal. So what. But my lifestyle is somewhat conservative/conventional. Right wingers are everywhere, even in CT (my entire family is ultra conservative and I hate it). They're "hooked" on the Reagan era and refuse to acknowledge the wealth of facts and research offered by progressives. Conservatism is simply their comfort zone that was passed down from previous generations.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Well, I certainly would NOT want to live in any of the cities along the BosWash corridor (Boston, NYC, Philly, DC), nor any of the cities on the west coast such as LA, SF, SD, Portland, Seattle, and not even south FL or Chicago. I would prefer to live in a place that does NOT have an elitist mentality. Yes, I'm a liberal. So what. But my lifestyle is somewhat conservative/conventional. Right wingers are everywhere, even in CT (my entire family is ultra conservative and I hate it). They're "hooked" on the Reagan era and refuse to acknowledge the wealth of facts and research offered by progressives. Conservatism is simply their comfort zone that was passed down from previous generations.
The fact that you're liberal and humble and not elitist is a plus. It's not a problem at all. I'm the exact same way. Inner loop Houston is a perfect fit then. Austin is great too but I hear its losing a bit of its slacker edge to the large influx of coastal people.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The fact that you're liberal and humble and not elitist is a plus. It's not a problem at all. I'm the exact same way. Inner loop Houston is a perfect fit then. Austin is great too but I hear its losing a bit of its slacker edge to the large influx of coastal people.
I've been to Austin and did NOT like it at all. Way too many hipsters and live music culture. Like I said, I'm the type of person who dresses in business casual, drives to work in my car, and wants to go back home to my quiet home. I'm a corporate tax accountant, not the creative/artsy type. Not the type who feels the need to express myself or get attention. I live my life like a standard American, but without a spouse or children. I'm more of the intellectual progressive type who will only talk politics if asked, and I will do so passionately. I vote for what I believe in. I may have an Obama bumper sticker, etc. That's it.

I enjoy doing things like hiking (apparently not possible in Htown ), video games, reading, taking walks, sightseeing, etc. Not really big on shopping, dining and clubbing, but I'll do it occasionally. I also never cared for the beach.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
nep321 I sent you a direct message.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:39 PM

50 posts, read 71,022 times
Quote:
I've been to Austin and did NOT like it at all. Way too many hipsters and live music culture. Like I said, I'm the type of person who dresses in business casual, drives to work in my car, and wants to go back home to my quiet home. I'm a corporate tax accountant, not the creative/artsy type. Not the type who feels the need to express myself or get attention. I live my life like a standard American, but without a spouse or children. I'm more of the intellectual progressive type who will only talk politics if asked, and I will do so passionately. I vote for what I believe in. I may have an Obama bumper sticker, etc. That's it.

I enjoy doing things like hiking (apparently not possible in Htown ), video games, reading, taking walks, sightseeing, etc. Not really big on shopping, dining and clubbing, but I'll do it occasionally. I also never cared for the beach.

Why not look at finding a place in the Energy Corridor (the West side of Houston)? There are numerous headquarters of different oil and engineering companies where you might find work. You can find a very nice, safe modern one-bedroom apartment such as the Marquis on Briar Forest near HW6 for about $1,100. There are young energy professionals living all around there.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Trolling. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston