Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM

6 posts, read 11,241 times

Advertisements

I tried searching the forum for what I was looking for but most threads are a couple of years old. Since areas can change rapidly in this city I wanted to start another thread to learn more information about the Champions Forest area (specifically huntwick).

We are a 28 year old couple that is currently renting in the heights about to purchase our first home. I was set on buying a house in town (heights, spring branch, oak forest, etc..) but am turned off at the rapidly increasing home prices like most. I have always noticed what a bargain the champions forest area can be. We are looking at a home in huntwick just north of 1960 and both of us love it.

I keep reading about how bad 1960 is but honestly don't agree. Being from inside the loop: I can say that we see much worse everyday and 1960 looks like paradise compared to westheimer. I am a however a bit concerned about future resale value. As we all know, the trend has been for more fortunate families to move back into the city and the poorer residents have been pushed back out into the suburbs. It seems like this has been happening to the Champions Forest area. Is that an accurate statement or not? Has anyone noticed a less than stellar crowd slowly moving into the area? Would you recommend buying a house in this area or is now the time people need to be leaving?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:18 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Champions forest was "the" neighborhood back in its day. The custom homes out there are still quite beautiful. However the 1960 and willowbrook areas have run down and become blighted. The neighborhoid itself is probably still very nice as I drove through it just this week and homes a relative bargain compared to other areas. A lot of people still move there but me personally - I wouldn't want my amazing home surrounded by areas on the downslide. .

Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Anything within 30 miles of the Exxon campus have increased in value by quite a bit.

There are 2 sections of Huntwick, I believe. The better section is north of strack while the south side is not as well put together.

They are nice houses and imo getting a little pricy. The location is not that great because you are in between all the major highways.

The biggest concern is the school system is getting worse and worse in that area.

Lot of the kids go to the private school there instead.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I used to live in that area for a number of years. One of the reasons I moved was due to the decline; however, I keep reading that it is a trend that is reversing.

I don't know if that is due to the Exxon campus or the change in mortgages has resulted in changes in rental property.

I know Huntwick was very desirable back in the 80's and the neighborhood is filled with beautiful mature trees, but not too much more than that other than speculation.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I think the "Exxon Factor" is so overblown. 3-4000 employees moving, or have moved,from Fairfax. That is such a small fraction of the migration into Houston. Anyway, those employees are not going to land in a declining or returning area with poor schools. They are used to nice, new, brick Executive houses and the best public schools they can move next to. This equates The Woodlands and a few of the newer MPC's up that way.

What may purchase in that area is support employees. Lower income, lower stability jobs. But honestly, what number would that amount to?

It has bounced back a little from what I can tell, but I don't see it screaming into wild appreciation like other parts of the city. Look how long it's taken The Heights to come 1/2 way back, and it's virtually perfect location wise. And yet, their schools still suck.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I don't live there but am out that way quite often (even more so now that the Whole Foods has opened) and Willowbrook is blighted only in the minds of a few ignorant C-D posters. There are some tired neighborhoods of a certain age but that area is undergoing a renaissance similar to that recently seen in far west Houston (which people forget itself became undesirable in the 90's with schools literally shuttered.) And honestly the Champions area has enjoyed a steady presence of upscale retail that other more popular areas continue to lack and more upscale stores are going in. The biggest downside is the lack of direct access to downtown (which is a huge one for us as DH works there.)

Now I'm off to that area to spend some money.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 AM

What power does the HOA have to ensure the neighborhood itself stays well maintained?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:00 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I think the "Exxon Factor" is so overblown. 3-4000 employees moving, or have moved,from Fairfax. That is such a small fraction of the migration into Houston. Anyway, those employees are not going to land in a declining or returning area with poor schools. They are used to nice, new, brick Executive houses and the best public schools they can move next to. This equates The Woodlands and a few of the newer MPC's up that way.

What may purchase in that area is support employees. Lower income, lower stability jobs. But honestly, what number would that amount to?

It has bounced back a little from what I can tell, but I don't see it screaming into wild appreciation like other parts of the city. Look how long it's taken The Heights to come 1/2 way back, and it's virtually perfect location wise. And yet, their schools still suck.
I guess this would explain why families vaulted over your neighborhood for years to Katy, eh? But see what eventually happened?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:04 AM

I really don't want this thread to turn into an argument like some of the others on this site that I have been seeing.

I do not necessarily care about rapidly rising home values...I just do not want to buy a house that rapidly decreases. I have been approved for up to 600k but would like to find something in the 250k range. Champions/Huntwick seems to best fit but I would greatly appreciate someone selling me on why Champions is great or if I should be house poor in the loop.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:11 AM

double post.

Last edited by kwoodwo; 11-06-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston