Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 AM

360 posts, read 666,150 times

Advertisements

I posted this (below) in another thread as part of my response to the Op and it got me wondering... Is there a way the city could influence business schedules and support telecommuting to ease traffic congestion? Do you think this is a viable idea? If they can, why haven't they done it?

Many people have mentioned taxes and tolls as a way to ease congestion. I REALLY think the city should get with employers and strongly encourage them to utilize technology and allow employees to telecommute. I'm completely convinced that at least 75% of people that commute to work everyday could work from home. If Big Brother would learn to pay people for WORK and not for time and physical presence, most people would be much happier and the companies would be more efficient. They could also strongly encourage shifts in the business schedule. 7-4, 9-6, 10-7, all worthwhile business schedules. Mondays off for some, Fridays off for others. 3 days in office, 2 days for telecommuting. Companies treat non-traditional schedules as some sort of prize for special individuals, rather than something that could be used to create better quality of life for employees and more efficient operations for the company and the city as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,969,730 times
Because not everyone has the option of doing those things. It doesn't work that way.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:54 AM

Well I know EVERYONE can't do it. I couldn't do it because of the nature of my job. I have to be in the office. But there are many, many, jobs and entire industries that could do it but don't.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM

498 posts, read 838,471 times
Mayor White tried to initiate tele-commuting and staggered commutes with some limited success in the mid 2000's.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 AM

925 posts, read 4,715,007 times
HAHAHA!!! Welcome to Houston!! We are living 50 years behind NY and SF. My husband works as a consultant and has worked for over 25 companies and he was never allowed to telecommute. The big companies just want to see your butt on the seat thats it!!!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM

331 posts, read 488,134 times
I think some large corporations have found that telecommuting isn't as productive.

I'm all for flexible hours and staggered schedules. The problem is intertia because everyone's schedule is based on everyone else's, kids' school schedules, etc. It would be a lot to figure out, but worth taking a look at in greater capacities than it currently is.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:26 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,721,762 times
Is it a fair assumption to say that more cars off the roads M-F would harm certain businesses (shopping/restaurants near offices) and take sales tax revenues away from the city?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,987,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
I think some large corporations have found that telecommuting isn't as productive.
There are also a big class of employees where left unsupervised, basically mean no work is done.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,536,905 times
Some people think everything is all about the information, or the data, or that sort of thing. But in many cases, it is about working together with people, for people or as a team. There is no substitute for face to face interaction for many people.

And as unlikely as it may seem, that is actually a good thing. Although the crowd that lives their entire lives with their face buried in their smartphone or their laptop may not understand that, for obvious reasons.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Mayor White tried to initiate tele-commuting and staggered commutes with some limited success in the mid 2000's.
Do you remember why it didn't work? I wonder what his strategy was. Did he just ASK or did he offer them something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
There are also a big class of employees where left unsupervised, basically mean no work is done.
I think that's the weakest argument against telecommuting that there is; if anything, if it's offered people who appreciate it will do their best to keep their job. If someone isn't doing their work, fire them. It's simple. Isn't that what should happen whether they work in the office or not?

Telecommuting is productive if you have a productive employee. It would be a great way to weed out those that don't work. No matter where you are physically, if you're responsible, you'll do your work. I used to work at the biggest utility in Houston and there were many people that disappeared into the downtown tunnels for several "breaks" during the day. Or there were people constantly getting busted by security for internet usage and I think we all know people that simply don't work all day. I had a co-worker that would complete all her work by 2 and spend the next three hours visiting and talking with people on multiple floors in multiple departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston