Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:31 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
sad there's no place for "high-priced" restaurants out this way..lol
Agreed - the retail character along the Grand Parkway is quickly becoming a corridor of mediocre strip malls populated by the obligatory Subway - Optometrist/Dentist - Nail Salon - Mattress Firm - Good Will Donation Center combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:25 PM

87 posts, read 126,487 times
I think we need to be honest about where we are in terms of the phase of development and what will be developed there right now, at this point in time. 99 corridor is solidly in the "growing middle class area" phase, which takes like 20 years to complete.

I am fine with what I see developing along 99, it's all the stuff that a middle class area should have (major grocery stores, major chain restaurants, mid/upper end furniture stores, big box stores, etc.). If I want to get a fancy dinner I'd head to the city anyway. It's not like it's a bunch of dollar stores, off brand gas stations, and check cashing places being thrown up. The area is about 10 years away from being able to sustain the kind of high end developments we'd like to see. Aliana alone has 2000 more houses planned, if we combine all the MPC's that are still building out it's like 5000 more house in the next 10 years, i.e. 20k more people, and when the population grows so will the amenities.

It feels like people think the 99 corridor should have some kind of Woodlands-esque or City Centre-esque or Sugar Land Town Square-esque super concentrated and master planned development anchored by a big brand hotel with high end restaurants and shopping. But those areas have those things because they are not strictly residential, they all have business districts nearby which developed along with the residential areas, and none of them got there overnight.

Grand Parkway between 1093 and 59 was just farmland and a prison 15-20 years ago while Sugar Land was already a maturing suburb, the Energy corridor was at the beginning of it's current peak, and well I don't much about the Woodlands, but I assume that in the early 2000's they had a much more established than the Grand Parkway area did.

Apologies for the rant, I haven't even moved in yet, lol, guess I'm just excited about the area and what it can become, but isn't quite yet.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrDead_YNWA View Post
I think we need to be honest about where we are in terms of the phase of development and what will be developed there right now, at this point in time. 99 corridor is solidly in the "growing middle class area" phase, which takes like 20 years to complete.

I am fine with what I see developing along 99, it's all the stuff that a middle class area should have (major grocery stores, major chain restaurants, mid/upper end furniture stores, big box stores, etc.). If I want to get a fancy dinner I'd head to the city anyway. It's not like it's a bunch of dollar stores, off brand gas stations, and check cashing places being thrown up. The area is about 10 years away from being able to sustain the kind of high end developments we'd like to see. Aliana alone has 2000 more houses planned, if we combine all the MPC's that are still building out it's like 5000 more house in the next 10 years, i.e. 20k more people, and when the population grows so will the amenities.

It feels like people think the 99 corridor should have some kind of Woodlands-esque or City Centre-esque or Sugar Land Town Square-esque super concentrated and master planned development anchored by a big brand hotel with high end restaurants and shopping. But those areas have those things because they are not strictly residential, they all have business districts nearby which developed along with the residential areas, and none of them got there overnight.

Grand Parkway between 1093 and 59 was just farmland and a prison 15-20 years ago while Sugar Land was already a maturing suburb, the Energy corridor was at the beginning of it's current peak, and well I don't much about the Woodlands, but I assume that in the early 2000's they had a much more established than the Grand Parkway area did.

Apologies for the rant, I haven't even moved in yet, lol, guess I'm just excited about the area and what it can become, but isn't quite yet.
What you say makes logical sense, especially for an area that is unincorporated Fort Bend County with no nearby city-proper (Richmond, Rosenberg, and Sugar Land are all 10-15min+ from most places along 99 between 90 and 1093.) Given that most of this is former farm and prison land, it stands to reason there are no pre-existing, unique restaurants or local businesses for people to patronize. Additionally, there is no "city-centre" for this stretch of 99, and likely never will be due to this area being a hodge-podge of Houston and Richmond ETJ land.

That said, it is still somewhat disappointing to see the proliferation of the aforementioned mediocre strip malls, but this is not unique to the GP corridor; it is a by-product of endless suburban sprawl into unincorporated county land, where a lack of zoning or any type of master development plan leads to this type of development ad nauseum. Heck, the intersection of 59 and 99 is a perfect example of this, and that sits next to two pre-existing MPCs (Greatwood and Riverpark.)

But you're right - this type of development, for the most part, is appropriate for the current population density and price points of the neighborhoods along the 99 corridor.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
It will get there eventually, it just takes time. Brick and Mortar had the potential but the prices were too high, especially given the poor service.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,186,214 times
Mixed-use development off Grand Parkway to be 'very similar to CityCentre'

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...165&j=78331241

Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 PM

388 posts, read 686,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliana926 View Post
Mixed-use development off Grand Parkway to be 'very similar to CityCentre'

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...165&j=78331241
I was not able to view this.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 PM

64 posts, read 102,593 times
District West - An Upscale Mixed-use Development in West Houston

District West is the name of the new mixed use development.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:27 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
They've been talking about District West forever. They still don't have any confirmed tenants, I think the Star Cinema Grill 'coming soon' sign still says 2016 on it.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenzHou View Post
District West - An Upscale Mixed-use Development in West Houston

District West is the name of the new mixed use development.
Who names these properties? District West sounds like a TV show. 🙄 Anyway... yea...this won't be the new City Centre, even in 10 years after built. I'll believe it when I see it. I have a feeling it's just going to be an office building or office area. Like was previously mentioned, Star Cinema sign says 2016 and it's fading.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrDead_YNWA View Post
Reviving this thread again.

I have been hungrily devouring any information I can find about this area as we will be moving in the first week of July to Long Meadow Farms. I make regular trips out there and this is what I've observed.

@ 99 and Harlem Road
1. The HEB that people were talking about 2 years is now built.
2. It's confirmed that the new construction right beside the HEB will be a Target, a fancy new kind of which this is the first.
3. It looks like prep-work has started at the Waterview Town Center location, I see heavy equipment and workmen over there, so 2 years after it was first announced they might be finally doing something.

@ Long Meadow Farms Market (specifically beside Gallery Furniture)
1. Looks like they are building something, but I'm not sure what I see 2 structures going up.
2. Brick and Mortar restaurant closed down and the space is going to be a Lopez Mexican restaurant

@ Harvest Green / Aliana
1. Looks to be close to 50% built, they are prepping new sections right up close to 99
2. Aliana looks to be stretching out on the other side also, lots of land cleared right up close to 99 on their side also. I checked Aliana's site plan I had no idea it was going to be so huge 4000+ houses of which they've only built half!

Anybody else have any other information or observations about this area?
Congratulations on your move. LMF is a nice neighborhood.
Now I'm not here to burst your bubble but I do have to tell you not to expect much out of Waterview Town Center. We know someone on the Waterview HOA and they say not a whole lot is confirmed. Lots of talk and then things have changed. Plus, they have been breaking ground, no lie, for 2 years. Prior to moving to the area last year, we used to drive 99 weekly. And we saw action then, thinking it would be soon. Then we moved here last year and thought well maybe they have just had some delays, surely the mild winter will make it possible. Nope. So here we are, summer of 2017, and the construction looks the same. I've seen them put sewer pipes down before.

I'm sure there is a lot that goes on we know nothing about though.

The new Target will have a Beer/Wine section. It is slated for Oct opening, per Target website. Other than that, the "features" will be to market and sell more, not really anything I could tell was super benefial to a customer. It's not like the kind of thing Sam's offers where you checkout on your phone, never standing in line... yet!
I am excited to have a Target. Tired of driving to Cinco.

And yes... Lopez is coming. 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston