Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on this? It sounds really good, but I'm unfamiliar with the neighborhood and the builder/developer.

Houze - Home
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Independene Heights is one of the oldest Black neighborhoods. It was its own municipality for a period.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
How is the house zero energy if it uses natural gas? Who is paying for your natural gas bill for a decade? I don't understand this.

They posted a map where the location is. It is an area that might turn over in 20 years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...515827ce?hl=en

Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
How is the house zero energy if it uses natural gas? Who is paying for your natural gas bill for a decade? I don't understand this.

They posted a map where the location is. It is an area that might turn over in 20 years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...515827ce?hl=en
"Zero energy" may not be literal, but figurative?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM

264 posts, read 441,924 times
I did some digging around. This is a partnership between Houze and the City of Houston (um, why?). The information I found showed homes were ranging between 150-250k, and can't remember if that was pricing from 2012 or 2013. Six of the 12 floor plans are 2 bedroom. The information I found on the developed describes him as being somewhere in between a visionary and a snake oil salesman. But, to be fair, his WaterLights project in Pearland fell through during the downturn. The homes are on the grid but that is the last resort after natural gas and a power cell. The link states no energy costs for the first ten years. I would guess than that if energy costs do indeed accrue, that it would be split between the developer and taxpayer, er, city of Houston? I don't know.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
I did some digging around. This is a partnership between Houze and the City of Houston (um, why?). The information I found showed homes were ranging between 150-250k, and can't remember if that was pricing from 2012 or 2013. Six of the 12 floor plans are 2 bedroom. The information I found on the developed describes him as being somewhere in between a visionary and a snake oil salesman. But, to be fair, his WaterLights project in Pearland fell through during the downturn. The homes are on the grid but that is the last resort after natural gas and a power cell. The link states no energy costs for the first ten years. I would guess than that if energy costs do indeed accrue, that it would be split between the developer and taxpayer, er, city of Houston? I don't know.
Thanks TXbywayof for the response! It sounds interesting...maybe too good to be true though. I'm really curious about what the neighborhood is like that these homes are being built in. I also wonder if they plan to build more of these homes in other parts of houston. I wish I could talk to a homeowner of one of these. That would be really informative.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM

It sounds reasonable enough. One thing concerns me and that is the Zero Foam they spray in these homes. I always wonder if something like this is groundbreaking or a carcinogen. Also regarding the zero energy costs for 10 years a home warranty is mentioned that covers this. It is not clear from what I read whether the warranty comes with the home or whether it has to be purchased.

Also, there was some mention of Rogers St. So I get on HCAD (I should preface this by saying I am home sick today and feeling like a bucket of yuck, and perhaps some snarkiness is coming though) and look at Rogers St. and sure enough, I see Goswick, David (the Houze developer). The address shows a couple of 0 Rogers St. Interestingly, there was no appraisal increase from 2013 to 2014. Is this just an empty lot? Maybe, I don't know since the address is 0. I bet some of these homes are up, just have to figure out the street. I would love to see what HCAD has done with their appraisals.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
From what I can read is there is a fuel cell that is used to convert natty gas to electricity. I remember a thing about how fuel cells are going to revolutionize how we get power. They cost about 30K for a small house. The membrane lasts about 7-8 years. Not sure about the replacement cost. You still have to pay for the natural gas too. It also produces C02 though apparently this is about half of what a power plant would put out. It also has excess heat that can replace a hot water heater. It is all interesting though. I really don't know how much more efficient they are over paying for normal power. But at 30K up front it better be a lot.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:57 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Thanks TXbywayof for the response! It sounds interesting...maybe too good to be true though. I'm really curious about what the neighborhood is like that these homes are being built in. I also wonder if they plan to build more of these homes in other parts of houston. I wish I could talk to a homeowner of one of these. That would be really informative.
Independence Heights is a majority black, low income neighborhood and has some rough characters. I don't feel uncomfortable driving through there but it's not the sort of neighborhood I would go jogging through in the evening. Many of the houses have bars on their windows.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Here is some info on the foam insulation zero energy homes use:

Does Foam Insulation Belong in Green Buildings? 13 Reasons It Probably Doesn't : TreeHugger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston