Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times

Advertisements

Comcast literally has the worst customer service of any substantially sized company in America.

Seriously, if you want to save yourself a lot of aggravation, go with Uverse. Also, AT&T has the best technology for the cable TV services, especially the online guide and related tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 12:57 AM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
Comcast - Best internet speeds, horrible CS by far, when I had it my connection would constantly drop and go down for days every month. One time, they tried to charge me for using my own modems and required me to provide receipts I owned my modems, how crappy is that?

ATT - Slower internet, but still fast. Good CS. Stable internet, rarely get disconnects. Similar price as Comcast for slower speeds. New customers get a introductory rate. To keep a good rate, call near the end of your term and tell them you would like to terminate your services after your contract is over. They'll forward you to their retention department who will give you good rates to keep you on board. I'm paying about $32 for 24mbs per month last few years.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:25 AM

389 posts, read 595,876 times
As a current U-verse customer, I would recommend it over Comcast. I had Comcast years ago (back before it was called Xfinity) and the customer service was truly terrible. I remember they wouldn't ship us a new cable box, and made us come into the store. However, the store would run out of cable boxes by noon, and they wouldn't reserve them. The nearest store was not close to us either. It was like getting a drivers license. I recall it felt like dealing with the government as opposed to a private company.

AT&T has much better customer service. The internet might be slower at times, but I don't know that I could tell the difference. It doesn't go out too often.

I also had Dish Network for television several years ago and had positive experiences with them. I'm fine with anything that isn't Comcast.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:43 AM

455 posts, read 524,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
Ok I'm looking at xfinity for a new house, ( I have xfinity at our current house and like the internet speed, but like directv options for tv) or directv for tv and Internet.
Can you use directv for tv service and xfinity for Internet only? Or do they use the same wiring in the house?
I have Comcast for internet only, so that's no issue. Just keep in mind that you pay quite a bit more if you don't have it bundled. In my case, internet was around $42 bundled with cable and is now just shy of $70 by itself. On the other hand, I'm still saving considerably by just having internet. But the question of cutting out cable is another topic altogether!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
ATT really step up on the customer service here. When I cancel my uverse, they actually CALL me first and ask me since my contract is up if i wish to renew. When I told him i am moving, they said they will go ahead and cancel for me and just drop off the box at UPS store.

I have infinity now, internet is slower even through i paid for higher bandwith. Cost more too.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
OP, I live near the med center as well, but my experience with the two companies is very different from most of the people posting.

I guess I'm an anomaly in that I get along with Comcast fine. I've had issues with my new X1 cable box, and the service rep spent 25 minutes on the phone trouble shooting it, as well as another issue with how my account was setup that I didn't know I had.

We had an outtage this past Sunday, which was the first outtage I've had in quite some time, so I called Comcast to find out when it would be up and running (and explain that I really don't want to miss Game of Thrones), and they sent me vouchers for 5 pay per view programs. I'll probably give them to friends who watch stuff like UFC.

I tried Uverse and it was terribly slow. I mean, really, really bad. We couldn't stream Netflix, I couldn't play anything on my XboX One... it was functionally useless. Basic email on our ipad or iphones, sure; but any sort of multimedia content was stalling. I was worried when I saw the speedtest and it clocked in at download speeds of 12Mbps with a wired connection. On Comcast, even after moving our PC to wireless, we're clocking 79-85Mbps.

If money were no object, I'd go Direct TV for tv service & Comcast for internet, but it really depends on what part of town you live in.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Also, should you go with Comcast for internet, be sure to buy your own cable modem (the Motorola SurfBoard series is good) rather than "renting" one from them. They want to charge $5 or so to rent their modem. In contrast, the Motorola modem can be bought off Newegg for $69.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:04 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
Also, should you go with Comcast for internet, be sure to buy your own cable modem (the Motorola SurfBoard series is good) rather than "renting" one from them. They want to charge $5 or so to rent their modem. In contrast, the Motorola modem can be bought off Newegg for $69.
Not only that, you'll have to buy your own router if you want wifi too. The Surfboard will only give you wired access. I think they might have new ones that have wifi, but they cost $150+.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
Not only that, you'll have to buy your own router if you want wifi too. The Surfboard will only give you wired access. I think they might have new ones that have wifi, but they cost $150+.
I guess i always assume that you will have to buy your own router, although i think i heard that one comes with Uverse.

But anyway, that's sort of like the cost of doing business that you'll need some extra hardware for internet. Point is that it is cheaper in the long run to buy your own than to rent it from the ISP.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
I hav Xfinity now and did not have any problems with connectivity or speed. Had ATT in the past and found their customer service poorer than Comcast.

And of course got cheated by them once. Applied for a double play through the site and the customer service had no idea of that offer, had to return the equipment. Then they themselves called and gave me an upgrade , after 2 months or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston