Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,146 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Katy for years now and I love it. I will be completely honest with you and if you are offended by any of it, I want you to know that's not my objective, I simply speak from experience.
Katy is mostly white and christian, half of the people here are well off and the other half is mostly middle class. I am a minority and have experienced a lot of discrimination here. I've been out enough to see hispanic and black customers be treated differently than others or simply ignored. I am aware that a lot of hispanics and blacks seem to like the relative safety and comfort of the area but and it seems to really bother the caucasian community here. Your kids WILL be looked down upon, even in school, so I would consider that before you make a definite move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 AM

61 posts, read 351,639 times
JMW

By judging from the 1st two responses to your request, should suggest something to you about the mentality and social construct of Katy.

There is a small yet noticeable percentage of blacks in Katy. The significant recreational activity I know that blacks go to Katy for is the Katy Mills Mall. The cultural scene (or nightlife) is not on the radar, especially for blacks.

This should not be news to you, for the most part, the more affluent or middle class an area is the better the schools. Katy ISD is one other better school districts in the area equipped with some the best facilities around. So you would do well for your daughter there.

But, there have been some racial incidents in Katy, some were relatively recent. Just curious, what drew your attention to this area when you are from MD? Houston is a very big and diverse city.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM

42 posts, read 240,357 times
I've heard good things about Katy's schools too (probably because it is a pretty affluent city)...I probably wouldn't live there though. I won't even speak on the traffic nightmare that is I-10...(I used to live near Memorial City Mall...that freeway was hell)

I guess it depends on what kind of life you want...

Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,141 times
Default Very Suprised.....

Hello Everyone,

I am extremely suprised to hear negative things about Katy in terms of their diversity and the traffic.

I live in Katy and I absolutely LOVE it! I am Hispanic, and my husband is White. I have never had the feeling that anyone was looking down upon me. I live in an upscale subdivision with two Hispanic families on my street and two African American families on the next street. I have never heard anything negative about the way minorities are treated here.

As far as the traffic - I used to live in Sugar Land and we moved to Katy to get away from Sugar Land's terrible traffic! Katy traffic is nothing compared to Sugar Land's.

I think Katy is a wonderful place to live and I love the diversity. I love how it's so close to everything and you really don't need to venture into Houston Proper for anything except your job (depending on where you work). Houston in itself is a huge melting pot of different people and cultures. Every place you go will have some ignorant person who will look down on someone for something, but that's everywhere.

Personally, I have heard negative things about Conroe. I cannot say anything bad about Conroe or form an opinion, as I have never lived there. I have, however, heard that Conroe is the place you do not want to live if you are a minority. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

I do know that in my opinion, Katy is WONDERFUL! I love Katy very much and I don't think I will ever live in a different suburb. Katy is the acclaimed Katy ISD, excellent neighborhoods, shopping, dining, ect... what's not to love?

Best of luck! =)

Old 03-13-2007, 11:55 AM

19 posts, read 77,662 times
You've probably already moved, but...

I've lived in Katy for 24 years. I love it! If you are an RN, you shouldn't have to make the commute to the medical center or downtown. There are 2 large hospitals in Katy and several just a short commute away. There are also many, many doctors offices of all kinds all around.

If you wind up downtown or in the medical center, the bus system is pretty good from Katy. My husband uses it a lot. There is an HOV lane on I-10 and it's a straight shot from Katy to downtown Houston. You have to change busses to get the the medical center though.

Not everyone who lives in Katy works in downtown Houston! Lots of job opportunities all over, especially for a registered nurse.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,424,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pris10577 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am extremely suprised to hear negative things about Katy in terms of their diversity and the traffic.

I live in Katy and I absolutely LOVE it! I am Hispanic, and my husband is White. I have never had the feeling that anyone was looking down upon me. I live in an upscale subdivision with two Hispanic families on my street and two African American families on the next street. I have never heard anything negative about the way minorities are treated here.

As far as the traffic - I used to live in Sugar Land and we moved to Katy to get away from Sugar Land's terrible traffic! Katy traffic is nothing compared to Sugar Land's.

I think Katy is a wonderful place to live and I love the diversity. I love how it's so close to everything and you really don't need to venture into Houston Proper for anything except your job (depending on where you work). Houston in itself is a huge melting pot of different people and cultures. Every place you go will have some ignorant person who will look down on someone for something, but that's everywhere.

Personally, I have heard negative things about Conroe. I cannot say anything bad about Conroe or form an opinion, as I have never lived there. I have, however, heard that Conroe is the place you do not want to live if you are a minority. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

I do know that in my opinion, Katy is WONDERFUL! I love Katy very much and I don't think I will ever live in a different suburb. Katy is the acclaimed Katy ISD, excellent neighborhoods, shopping, dining, ect... what's not to love?

Best of luck! =)

Could not agree with you more, and I'm a Realtor in the west Houston/Katy area. Katy gets nothing but rave reviews most of the time.

The fact is, in almost every suburb, the majority is going to be Caucasian and Christian. How everyone treats everyone is really what matters. I've never heard of anyone feeling outright discriminated against, unless being a jerk or a hag falls under that category, because most people out here are super friendly!

One of the top elementary schools in Texas is Winborn, located in Williamsburg Settlement. It made Texas Monthly's top 100 schools list. The homes there are very established, and affordable, and are about to see a nice upswing in the market due to new developments in the immediate area (Simon is putting in a new outdoor "mall" marketplace close by).

Memorial Hermann's new Katy hospital is wonderful, and speaking from experience, Memorial Hermann is an excellent system to work for. RN's get VERY good salaries here in Houston.

I wish you all the best. I can totally understand why you want out of Baltimore. We have friends in Owings Mills and they love it, but if they go into the city it is to go to the harbor ONLY. We have heard some interesting stories!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 22,141 times
Smile Agree with Mom2Feebs

I agree with you as well Mom2Feebs. I love Katy very much and I my personal encounters have been nothing but positive. You are correct about RN's getting paid well and Memorial Hermann is a GREAT company. My husband works in the Corporate Office of Memorial Hermann and he absolutely loves his company. My best friend is also a Dr. at Memorial Hermann in the medical center area and she told me she wants to move to the Katy hospital because she loves Katy so much!

I also heard about the mall being built by Simons. By the way, does anyone know what is going up on the corner of 1463 and I10? They have a HUGE space cleared for some retail shops or something but I have no idea what it is that's going in. It's next to the Wood Creek Reserve subdivision.

My two cents is that Katy is an EXCELLENT place to live and the people I run into are very friendly. The school system is great, and the shopping and dining are good and will continue to get better and grow. I'm so excited about the new shopping centers that are going in around the Katy area! La Centerra in Cinco Ranch is looking great and has already opened!

Hope to see you as a new neighbor! Welcome to Katy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston