Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:49 AM

657 posts, read 740,232 times

Advertisements

Where was the roadblock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Where was the roadblock?
In Georgia

Old 08-28-2015, 08:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The legal driving limit in Sweden is .02. If you break the law more than once, your name, your face and your car goes into a database so police can stop you at anytime.
That is, for the lack of a better word, stupid.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:46 AM

Sweden has extremely stupid and strict laws for other things also. Im not sure how comparing ours to theirs serves any purpose. Should we be thankful we're not in Sweden? What was the purpose of bringing them up? Im not going to "appreciate" our insane drinking laws because a random country in Europe has worse ones. Ironically, all of those countries you listed have drinking cultures where people regularly get **** faced as in cant even walk out of the bar and are sleeping in the restroom or on the sidewalk outside. I dont remember the last time seeing grown people drinking like a college frat party. I've been to a couple of them.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That is, for the lack of a better word, stupid.
No it is NOT stupid. They don't have many driving accidents that are drinking related. I had a car totaled by a drunk driver when it was parked in front of my house (not in Texas, but in Illinois). I have seen too many kids killed by drunk drivers.

HPD: Drunk driver killed child, homeless man; injured 3

Suspected drunk driver to face charges in deadly head-on crash in northeast Houston | abc13.com

drunk driving death | abc13.com

Teen charged in December crash that killed two Katy ISD students | News - Home

If you drink, don't drive, period.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:00 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Sweden has extremely stupid and strict laws for other things also. Im not sure how comparing ours to theirs serves any purpose. Should we be thankful we're not in Sweden? What was the purpose of bringing them up? Im not going to "appreciate" our insane drinking laws because a random country in Europe has worse ones. Ironically, all of those countries you listed have drinking cultures where people regularly get **** faced as in cant even walk out of the bar and are sleeping in the restroom or on the sidewalk outside. I dont remember the last time seeing grown people drinking like a college frat party. I've been to a couple of them.
No we should be stricter on drunk driving. If our laws were stricter, there would be less accidents and less people killed.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:10 AM

Yeah cops being able to pull you over before a crime is commited is not a police state or going into dangerous territory lol.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:10 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
European countries have stricter DWI laws b/c:

1) (generalizing) there are far more pedestrians and cyclists in big cities, compared with big cities in the US, and driving requires more attention and care as a result.
2) there are more alternatives to driving (walking, cycling, decent public transport), so there's less of an excuse to drink and drive except for people living in rural areas (and interestingly, at least once council has tried to make "slightly" drunk driving legal: Irish council approves motion to allow rural drink-driving | World news | The Guardian)

I wouldn't support making European laws more-lenient, or US laws more-strict. Different environments, different challenges, different solutions.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No it is NOT stupid. They don't have many driving accidents that are drinking related. I had a car totaled by a drunk driver when it was parked in front of my house (not in Texas, but in Illinois). I have seen too many kids killed by drunk drivers.

HPD: Drunk driver killed child, homeless man; injured 3

Suspected drunk driver to face charges in deadly head-on crash in northeast Houston | abc13.com

drunk driving death | abc13.com

Teen charged in December crash that killed two Katy ISD students | News - Home

If you drink, don't drive, period.
We could seriously reduce a lot more deaths by limiting the speed on every road to 30 mph.

We could eliminate a bunch of serious injuries and even death by eliminating high school football.

Sorry, if I don't want to trade everything for a little safety.

A limit of .1 works just fine.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM

Weird that she linked a story about a teen killing two people. You realize that stricter laws wouldnt have changed that right. We should just make 21 the age to get a license so it wont happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston