Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 05:00 PM

144 posts, read 235,832 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon Folks!

I'm soliciting ideas and opinions on Ashley's Furniture vs. Star Furniture in regards to price and quality.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 06:20 PM

82 posts, read 101,979 times
Star has good quality furniture whereas Ashley has a wider range I believe. This only comes from my experience purchasing a leather couch. Star only had genuine leather whereas Ashley also carried bonded and their signature "durablend". Of course the price reflects the quality. Wound up buying a nice couch from Star and love it.

Also check out Bel and Gallery.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:21 AM

42 posts, read 100,976 times
I like Ashley Furniture for bed sets. But, for some furniture items I find Affordable Furniture or Discount Furniture good too. There are a lot of furniture stores in Houston. So check around you will be surprised what you find.

My couch and bed/mattress are from Ashley. My dining table is from a smaller discount store.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 PM

63 posts, read 108,786 times
Star is definitely a grade up from Ashley. They are also more expensive.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
I've owned two couches from Star, both have been particularly well-made and have held up well to lots of abuse.

Never owned any Ashley furniture, but if you look on Craigslist it isn't hard to find ppl dumping their Durablend couches b/c the finish starts peeling off after a few years. I wouldn't mess with it...maybe their cloth-upholstered furniture is better.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 AM

51 posts, read 135,025 times
I own furniture from three big furniture brands in Houston: Star, Ashley and RoomsToGo. My rating is based on Quality, Service, Pricing.
Quality: Hands down Star Furniture. 5 years strong and no problem (with 2 kids).
Service: Again Star Furniture. I had bought Stain remover service. They asked someone to come in the very next day. Second RoomsToGo: Very Prompt to answer and sent me items with no questions.
Pricing: RoomsToGo - but the quality is not as great as Star.

Ashley is nice - But I like Star and RoomsToGo better.
I have not tried Gallery Furniture.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:30 PM

177 posts, read 201,633 times
Star ftw.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:57 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Star furniture = quality

Old 09-15-2015, 12:00 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Star is where you can go to get high quality name brand furniture. We've bought several Thomasville pieces from them, and love the sleigh bed we bought, but to buy the rest of the set - dresser, chest and 2 night stands, it would have run us a good $7-8K. Ended up getting a very good set that matched our bed nicely for $3,500 from Gallery.

Our Thomasville sofa and chair we had for about 17 years and just this summer we gave it away. Still in decent condition, but a couple of the zippers had come undone and a few places were getting threadbare from washing the covers. We also had a nice Lane wingback leather recliner we bought and then sold about 10 years later when we redecorated. It still looked practically brand new. I do miss that chair.

Every time we went to look at Ashley furniture we never found anything of quality that we liked, so we have no experience with them.

We've bought a few things from BEL, and they have held up very well too. But their style is a bit dated or ornate for my tastes on a lot of their stuff. Worth a look if you are shopping as their prices are good if you find something you like.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:18 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
Star furniture is nicer I think. I bought my couch from fingers though. I also like layzboy for recliners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston