Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:19 PM

385 posts, read 440,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
That goes off of TEU's, so basically what you're saying is they go through more actual containers in Long Beach, but not more overall tonnage as the previous wiki page showed. I guess we're having a potato poh-tah-to semantics conversation on this one, but I feel tonnage is a much more accurate metric to go off of.
IDK...that Chinese junk we buy is awfully light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:20 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's my ideal fantasy number 1. I've said that for the past couple years. I can understand why they didn't though. My ideal fantasy number 2 location was where La Porte is now. There's actually an island right across from La Porte. Would have made for an interesting place like Star Island in Miami.
Who knows eventually once oil is no longer needed in the same capacity and a lot of the refineries are shut down.. there eventually could be some development when those large tracts of land open up. Do I think it will happen in our lifetimes? No, probably not even for 2 or 3 lifetimes, but perhaps sometime after that if humans are still in existence at that point.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Eventually as Houston grows the coast will become more expensive and premium. People from outside generally value waterfront property. In Houston people shy away from Galveston because of crime, but most outsiders don't. They don't know the history of the animosity between the two cities.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Eventually as Houston grows the coast will become more expensive and premium. People from outside generally value waterfront property. In Houston people shy away from Galveston because of crime, but most outsiders don't. They don't know the history of the animosity between the two cities.
What are you talking about ?

Old 10-21-2015, 06:06 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
What are you talking about ?
After the hurricane of 1900, Houston leaders did all they could to make sure Galveston would not regain its previous status as most important city in Texas. They succeeded, but they had to perpetuate a myth that Galveston is horrible and that all growth should happen west and north in Houston.

Talk to some BOI (Born on the Island) Galveston natives and they'll explain.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:08 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's my ideal fantasy number 1. I've said that for the past couple years. I can understand why they didn't though. My ideal fantasy number 2 location was where La Porte is now. There's actually an island right across from La Porte. Would have made for an interesting place like Star Island in Miami.
That's Hog Island. Before the Baytown Tunnel was built, there was a causeway from Baytown to Hog Island, and a ferry from there to LaPorte.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I just saw this posted on another forum. Never even heard of this. Now I do know there is a similar concert/entertainment/retail
venue planned for Webster next to the giant golf store. But I had not heard of this for Texas City. Perhaps big things are in store for Texas City:

Adventure Pointe Amusement Park

Here's a better link:

http://www.adventurepointe.com/

Old 10-21-2015, 07:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I just saw this posted on another forum. Never even heard of this. Now I do know there is a similar concert/entertainment/retail
venue planned for Webster next to the giant golf store. But I had not heard of this for Texas City. Perhaps big things are in store for Texas City:

Adventure Pointe Amusement Park

Here's a better link:

Adventure Pointe

It looks like they're much further along than "Yeehaw Texas Trailer Amusements" up in Porter.

I'm still fairly skeptical overall from what I've seen looking at those two links, but at least they are clearing the land.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
After the hurricane of 1900, Houston leaders did all they could to make sure Galveston would not regain its previous status as most important city in Texas. They succeeded, but they had to perpetuate a myth that Galveston is horrible and that all growth should happen west and north in Houston.

Talk to some BOI (Born on the Island) Galveston natives and they'll explain.
I've read this as well. A concerted marketing effort by Houston boosters to remind everyone of the dangers of being directly on the coast. But I don't know if these descriptions were merely speculation expressed by individuals about what was happening at the turn of the Century, or if there is anything actually documented from the time that would validate this idea.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:53 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Who knows eventually once oil is no longer needed in the same capacity and a lot of the refineries are shut down.. there eventually could be some development when those large tracts of land open up. Do I think it will happen in our lifetimes? No, probably not even for 2 or 3 lifetimes, but perhaps sometime after that if humans are still in existence at that point.
There aren't any refineries in La Porte. What you're thinking of are chemical plants. They produce chemicals for plastics, electronics, food modifiers, vitamins, alcohols, soaps, deodorant, textiles, paint, glue, ink, make-up, and the list goes on. Those won't be out of existence unless we get bombed back to the stone age. And actually right now there is a sort of boom (meaning expansion) going on in that sector now since oil & gas is low.

The best you're going to get for coastal is the Clear Lake area. I've been on the Houston side for >10 years and it is close enough to both the city and industry to work at both, yet far enough away from both to enjoy a good quality of life for a family.... Being that it's also close enough to the water to enjoy that side and far enough that you don't have to live in a flood plain or need special windstorm insurance. And you can't be in a better location if you want to take advantage of all the main local tourism type stuff (Harwin/Chinatown, Galleria, museums, Battleship/ San Jacinto, NASA, Kemah, Galveston).

The rest of the southeast side, not so much... but Deer Park is much better than most people give credit for. And they're right next to a giant refinery.

Look at all those refineries around Los Angeles, and look at how dense the population is around them. Have a good reason to get enough people there and it won't matter.

Last edited by tstone; 10-21-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston