Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM

65 posts, read 113,205 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of advice from the pros on this forum.
My friend is a first-time buyer looking to purchase a single family house.

Budget: <$200k
Work location: Galleria
He is a 28 years old accounting professional.
He's single and not very concerned about the school district. He is okay with older houses. What he's looking for is the potential for long-term appreciation.

He thinks highly of Sharpstown because it is centrally located with easy access to 59 and 610 and is reasonably affordble. Contrary to popular belief, Sharpstown doesn't look like an area of high crime if you stay away from the apartment complexes. We drove by the other day and saw that the areas on both sides of 59 have seen significant gentrification lately.

Does anyone have any experience with that area or any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,149 times
Consider Robindell. Not in Sharpstown but close.

Voted by Swamplot in 2009, Most Underappreciated Neighborhood: The Swamplot Awards for Houston Real Estate, 2009: The Winners! | Swamplot

Ditto Houston Press in 2010: The Five Most Underrated Neighborhoods In Houston | Houston Press

Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
It's coming up and gentrifying slowly, but there are still highly dangerous pockets outside the neighborhoods.

Schools are bad, resale is so-so, and there is a stigma to that whole area. That being said, there are some good neighborhoods in there. For a single male, it's not the worst option. Drive through at night, as that's when you will see the true nature of a neighborhood.

Robindell is much better and will appreciate MUCH faster. Maybe look into braes timbers too.

Last edited by Meyerland; 08-08-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM

I'm familiar with the Robindell area as I myself live in the Bellaire area. My understanding is that Robindell houses are selling >200k. That's why we are looking at Sharpstown as an alternative.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwpeter View Post
I'm familiar with the Robindell area as I myself live in the Bellaire area. My understanding is that Robindell houses are selling >200k. That's why we are looking at Sharpstown as an alternative.
There have been many on HAR sub-200k but they go option pending within a couple of days.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM

Check Braeburn Terrace on HAR too. It's the neighborhood just east of Robindell. There's one on Jackwood.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM

24 posts, read 42,140 times
I was a first-time buyer and purchased in the area east of HBU earlier this year. I am quite satisfied with my house. Crime has not been an issue at all.

I would advise your friend to stay off of the main streets and to look at homes in the heart of the various subdivisions. The homes are older, so get a good inspector and budget for maintenance costs. In my estimation, the area is good for long term appreciation. The transition will be slow, say over the next 10 years, but the neighborhood is on prime real estate. Growth is trending westward, and as Bellaire, Meyerland, and Westbury out-price buyers, demand for homes in Sharpstown will continue to increase.

edit: I am a single 31 year old lawyer who works in the Galleria area. Schools were not a major concern for me.

Last edited by cougarlaw11; 08-08-2014 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: update

Old 08-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
There have been many on HAR sub-200k but they go option pending within a couple of days.
Thanks!

I forgot to mention this: He will probably get married 3-5 years from now (hard to say when, especially when he's still looking for THE ONE , which is one of the most important investments you'll ever make lol). He will move to a more established neighborhood by then and will convert the house he's about to buy into a rental property. As such, he thinks that a healthy cash flow is an important consideration, aside from property appreciation.

How's the rental market doing in the Sharpstown area?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:00 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Out of 62 rental properties on HAR.com only a few are pending. So that shows a lack of demand.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwpeter View Post
Thanks!

I forgot to mention this: He will probably get married 3-5 years from now (hard to say when, especially when he's still looking for THE ONE , which is one of the most important investments you'll ever make lol). He will move to a more established neighborhood by then and will convert the house he's about to buy into a rental property. As such, he thinks that a healthy cash flow is an important consideration, aside from property appreciation.

How's the rental market doing in the Sharpstown area?
You sound like his pushy jewish mother. I wish i have a friend like you when i was a whipper snapper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston