Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 02:17 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Why does Houston keep electing Democratic mayors?

Article about blue cities in red states.
Cities are always blue,
People's needs in the city are different than in the country.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,095,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The city of Houston has elected a Democrat for mayor the past 30 years. Turner is a good person that loves this city. Mayor Parker was such a great mayor she was named one of the top 10 Mayors in the WORLD. She would have been re-elected in a landslide if not for term limits. She set up a new funding system that when it kicks in will fix Houston roads. It was the way the Texas Legislature makes Texas cities fund road repair that has been the problem plus sequester cuts from Congress.
I don't know. I find it difficult to trust any candidate that has run for a particular office 3x before finally getting it. Like I said on another thread, I'll wait for Chris Bell and tepidly support this guy. From his performance during the debate, the bar is pretty low.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:05 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Cities are always blue,
People's needs in the city are different than in the country.
There are lot more poor and minorities in the city then in the country, that is why it is always blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The city of Houston has elected a Democrat for mayor the past 30 years. Turner is a good person that loves this city. Mayor Parker was such a great mayor she was named one of the top 10 Mayors in the WORLD. She would have been re-elected in a landslide if not for term limits. She set up a new funding system that when it kicks in will fix Houston roads. It was the way the Texas Legislature makes Texas cities fund road repair that has been the problem plus sequester cuts from Congress.
Parker did nothing except push through couple of those news grabbing liberal agendas. All other important tasks were kicked down the road or nothing was done. The only positive is she didn't do much damage to the city.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
There are lot more poor and minorities in the city then in the country, that is why it is always blue.
Why is it that people think that race has anything to do with politics?
Do people go to vote and say
"I like this person.... but I should vote for this other person because we are the same race"

Old 12-15-2015, 05:56 AM

226 posts, read 307,080 times
Quote:
"I like this person.... but I should vote for this other person because we are the same race"
Unfortunately, some wackos on both sides believe this statement to be true.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:03 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,246,067 times
Quote:
It has been shown that black people vote for other blacks time and time again, even if it is against their own interests.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,652,820 times
Quote:
Can you explain then why nearly 90% of black people voted for Obama over Hillary in the DNC primaries?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:02 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,952,480 times
Quote:
You could fit all the black republican voters of Houston in your living room.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can you explain then why nearly 90% of black people voted for Obama over Hillary in the DNC primaries?
Could have been race. Could have also been because one was male and the other was female. 90% of Blacks voting for Obama doesn't necessarily mean 90% did it because he's Black.

Obama still won. Twice. Most of his constituents could have voted for him because of his race.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,245,048 times
Quote:
Conservative businessman Bill King took 71 percent of the vote in the city's majority-white voting precincts, where residents also turned out in the highest numbers. Turner won a whopping 93 percent of the vote in majority-black precincts, however, erasing King's turnout advantage.

Voter mobilization, black turnout drive Turner win - Houston Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston