Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 19,233 times

Advertisements

I am going to travel the country of America and looking for a place to settle down where I can find quick work (any work greater than $9.00 hr) and cheap accommodation (basically anything that is super cheap such as $300 a month) until I can get myself established. I do administration so my skills allow me to get jobs quickly. Do you think there are opportunities to get started in Houston? Where can I find a cheap place to rent and how can I find day jobs to pay off the daily needs until I secure something more reasonable.

In addition to this: are there other cities that could be helpful for somebody who's starting from the bottom and working upwards in life.

The truth is I am American and Canadian, lost my job here and thought that now would be the best time to relocate to the states for a change in life. I am currently living in Montreal, Canada and would like to relocate in a month or so if I can find quick work and reasonable rent somewhere down there.

Richard

Last edited by ogima; 02-04-2008 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Going to be hard to find anything for $300/month in a good/safe area unless you find an ad for someone who is looking for roomates with a house to share, etc.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 PM

Hey thanks for your response - is there a site with people looking for roommates? I know my life sounds rough right now but it's a start towards better things - so any advice is helpful.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,446 times
I am very familiar with people trying to come out of a bad situation. I been there before. In Houston, in the southwest part of town (Hillcroft and Bellaire to be specific), there are lots of immigrants, legal and illegal looking for work. Whenever they get tired of standing outside they go inside the HUGE Fiesta supermarket to eat very cheaply, $3.00 or $4.00 dollars for various types of food: Mexican, Chinese, Arab,etc, etc. There are several food locations inside or nearby. Apartments rent from $400-600 1br. there are many, many apt. complexes nearby. I have seen many want adds all around. It is easy to meet people looking for a roommates. All you have to do is hang out at the coffe house inside the store (has over 20 tables ) and you will find people from all walk of lives just hanging around there.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,563 times
^^^ dude, are you serious?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Why - do you think Canada is better, who knows, everyone has their views and opinions - besides, we Canadian's dream of relocating to the states. Usually more money in the states for the same jobs here in the North.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM

64 posts, read 413,358 times
The area that cjester refers to is a bad area. I would not recommend anyone live down there. Its going to be tough to find any place for 300.00 per month unless your just renting a room in someone's house.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogima View Post
Why - do you think Canada is better, who knows, everyone has their views and opinions - besides, we Canadian's dream of relocating to the states.
Does it still work out like that even after the Canadian dollar became stronger than the US dollar?

Check out craigslist. You need a roommate. If you find an apartment for $300/mo, there is a good reason why it's that low.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
^^Yeah, a co-worker of mine from Colombia just found herself a roommate on houston.craigslist.org. That's your best bet. Just figure out where you want to live and mind the location when looking at ads! I wouldn't recommend the Southwest side. Try to stay as centrally located as possible, especially if you won't have a car.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
All you have to do is hang out at the coffe house inside the store (has over 20 tables ) and you will find people from all walk of lives just hanging around there.

Yes, but only if you're successful at avoiding bullets, muggers, hit & run car accidents, etc. This area reminds me of the worst parts of LA. Not *quite* as bad but pretty darn close.

This area you describe is widely known as one of the worst, if not THE WORST part of town. It's no wonder you can find $400 apartments and $3 meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston