Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,588 times

Advertisements

I'm a born and raised Houstonian and our traffic and road rage is getting horrible. It seems that no one knows how to drive and everyone is on the phone. Mistakes do happen, but I think most people just don't care. No respect for anyone else on the road. I always remember a statement one of my teachers made to us a long time ago. "The road is not ours, we all need to drive respectfully." That statement has stayed with me to this day. I try and be nice and give people space, let them cut in, etc. But seriously, people really need to stop looking at their phones and drive!
I'm sorry you had such a bad week. You did the right think in trying to calm the guy down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 06:03 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
You actually spent time in researching my posts? Wow I feel very special mate. Thanks and now go eFFF yourself since you have no value to add. I think we should limit your oxygen consumption.
When someone comes on here and tells everyone who their employer is and brags about (illegally) brandishing their firearm it is pretty easy to remember.

I hope someone gives you the professional help you are so desperately calling out for. In the mean time I'll be watching out for you.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,811,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
At 70 mph you need at least 4-5 car lengths to brake to a dead stop and avoid the car in front, so why do drivers give 4-5 Feet????
It's actually closer to 15 car lengths - about 315 feet to come to a dead stop from 70 mph.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGirl77 View Post
I'm a born and raised Houstonian and our traffic and road rage is getting horrible. It seems that no one knows how to drive and everyone is on the phone. Mistakes do happen, but I think most people just don't care. No respect for anyone else on the road. I always remember a statement one of my teachers made to us a long time ago. "The road is not ours, we all need to drive respectfully." That statement has stayed with me to this day. I try and be nice and give people space, let them cut in, etc. But seriously, people really need to stop looking at their phones and drive!
I'm sorry you had such a bad week. You did the right think in trying to calm the guy down.
This 'I am entitled to the road' has been going on for years. Time was, trucks could get an emergency permit to be on the highway even if they had no brakes.

It has gotten really bad the last 5 years.

Houston and Harris county have never had enough police on the road. They also said investigating traffic accidents was the job of insurance companies, not police.

If 1/3 of those driving drunk, drugged, recklessly and/or over the speed limit were ticketed, the property tax could go down. Auto insurance, too.

But, as we learned with red light cameras, Houstonians want to drive however they please. To hell with the rest of us.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:35 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
It's actually closer to 15 car lengths - about 315 feet to come to a dead stop from 70 mph.
Normally we agree on most things, but 15 car lengths is almost impossible to find on Houston highways these days.

The long and short of it is the best way to make Houston a better driving experience is to get fewer cars on the road. I for one would gladly trade in my car for a good, reliable mass transit system.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Two words: flying cars.
What would happen when there's a collision though? Not sure an airbag would save you from a several hundred feet drop...

Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,304,323 times
I vote for building a rail system that reduces the number of cars on our roads
But conspiracy theorists think that light rail is going to bankrupt America and turn us into a Spanish speaking communist country.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,021,142 times
People should stop buying oversized houses in increasingly far flung suburbs and live closer to work. That would solve most of the problem.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
People should stop buying oversized houses in increasingly far flung suburbs and live closer to work. That would solve most of the problem.
It's all driven by a bunch of propaganda to make people think that anything that is not a new suburb is the ghetto.

I bet developers are the ones that make up the "school rating"
I went to one of the poorest schools in my town in Venezuela and I still got a 3.5GPA in the 3 years I went to High School in Missouri

Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,578 times
make licenses 500 dollars per year. That will cut down on drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston